PDA

View Full Version : Sonic boom

Diedtrying
30th Oct 2007, 22:10
Hey guys,
Just flew back from a week in Zakynthos. We were dropped at the airport 4 hours early so decided to go to a local cafe rather than sit in the departure lounge (if you have ever been you will know why), as we were sat having a drink there was an almighty boom (well 2 rapid booms) and the cafe windows shook and I felt it in my chest. At first we thought it was the start of an earth quake but there was no tremors. there in the sky out to the west of the Island was a contrail to what I can only describe was a missile as it moved very fast and carried out several maneuvers that I really doubt any of you fast boys could withstand, several seconds later we witnessed at least another 3 missiles but no more sonic booms. I guess it was a test of sorts.

Anyway, question time.

Does anyone know if Greece has a test facility in the Med west of Zakynthos (Zante).

Secondly, we never heard any fast jet engines so could they maybe have been ship launched?

And thirdly if a missile travels at super sonic speeds is it more likely to be surface to air, or air to air, rather than air to ground etc.

Any thoughts will be welcomed as I near **** myself thinking the Greeks had let loose on the Turks.:}

soddim
30th Oct 2007, 23:04
If an aircraft drops a boom you may well not hear the noise of its' engines.

Nearly all missiles accelerate to supersonic speeds.

If the Greeks let loose on the Turks nobody will pick up your cleaning bill!

Cannot answer the question re the Greek test facility.

Hope this helps.

Diedtrying
31st Oct 2007, 09:00
If an aircraft drops a boom you may well not hear the noise of its' engines.

May have been aircraft then as we could not see where they were launched from, they just seem to appear in the air.

Nearly all missiles accelerate to supersonic speeds.

This may sound like a silly question, but the boom was extremely loud/powerful, does the size of the object hitting the sound barrier dictate the amount of noise produced?

If the Greeks let loose on the Turks nobody will pick up your cleaning bill!:}

tonyosborne
31st Oct 2007, 09:21
Greek bases at Andravada (sp?) Kalamata and Araxos are not a million miles, chances are it was F-16s or F-4s training...

Diedtrying
31st Oct 2007, 10:16
Greek bases at Andravada (sp?) Kalamata and Araxos are not a million miles, chances are it was F-16s or F-4s training...

Cool, many thanks. :ok:

LowObservable
31st Oct 2007, 13:55

... by shooting down unsuspecting Turks

The SSK
31st Oct 2007, 14:00
Two Belgian F16s went supersonic over Brussels this morning, in pursuit of a 'non-responding passenger flight'.

Diedtrying
31st Oct 2007, 14:52
Two Belgian F16s went supersonic over Brussels this morning, in pursuit of a 'non-responding passenger flight'.

Anymore news on this?

The SSK
31st Oct 2007, 15:28
Anymore news on this?

How's your Dutch?
http://www.nieuwsblad.be/Article/Detail.aspx?articleid=DMF31102007_037

Seems to have been a Delta flight from Stuttgart to Atlanta.

Diedtrying
31st Oct 2007, 19:10
How's your Dutch?

Word for word?
Two F16-jachtvliegtuigen vanmorgen doorbroken have at south of Brussels around 11 hours the sound wall, then they a passenger couple intercepted with which the radio contact was broken. The sound wall became according to the ministry of defence doorbroken above Brussels (Ukkel) and Hoeilaart. Two F-16's conducted a oefenvlucht from then them the task got to make visual contact with the citizen plane, to identify it and to possibly intercept. The citizen plane of the American airline company delta Airlines came of the German Stuttgart and was on gone to Atlanta (VS), then it lost the radio contact with the Belgian air control. The ministry of defence sent vervolgens the two fighting planes from, but in tussentijd the Belgian airspace to leave and the radio contact with the British authorities had the citizen plane was achieved. During the onderscheppingsmanoeuver the sound wall was exceeded above Brussels (Ukkel) and Hoeilaart, what is not allowed seen normally. ' it concerns exceptional circumstances and defence wishes excuse itself to the population for possibly caused nuisance ', thus it sounds. Breaking through the sound wall goes accompanied by a large detonation, and the brandweer got as a result several recalls, among which also in Eigenbrakel and Nijvel. Defence ensures that there are ready permanently two armed F16's for such incidents.