PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone happy??

The Swinging Monkey
30th Oct 2007, 10:08
Just a bit of banter all, but, apart from the Typhoon world, is anyone even remotely happy with 'their lot' ??
TSM

FlyingSouth
30th Oct 2007, 10:36
Yes I'm delighted at the moment.
However I'm on my terminal leave, just emigrated to Australia and its nearly summer down here. :)

No Vote Joe
30th Oct 2007, 10:48
Yes I'm delighted at the moment.
However I'm on my terminal leave, just emigrated to Australia and its nearly summer down here. :)

Says it all really!! :ok:

Airborne Aircrew
30th Oct 2007, 11:34
I'm pretty happy right now too...

But then, I've been out almost 20 years... :ok:

wokkameister
30th Oct 2007, 11:53
If the RAF wants to enhance morale, then how about stationing a few Squadrons out in Cyprus like the old days?
We spend most of our time in the ME anyway these days, why not send a few Squadrons out there?
Now that would make a few peoples fingers hover over the JPA Eject button before pressing it.

3 Years in Akrotiri? Yes or no?

WM

Al R
30th Oct 2007, 11:55
Did 4 thank you very much.

Never go back. :ok:

Happy? On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd guess 7-8 right now.

The Gorilla
30th Oct 2007, 12:08
Using Al's scale I am 9.5, extremely happy! Been out four years now, just progressed into senior management position. My move north is backed up by an impressive re-location package (tax-free) and a sympathetic HR department.

More pay for a lot a less hours and no crap. Mmmm no make that 9.75!!

:):)

Winco
30th Oct 2007, 13:00
I would have to say that out of 10, mine is about 20!!

I fly a nice, safe, modern aircraft, I work for a company that dose not waste millions of ££ trying to save a few pennies here and there, and perhaps more importantly, I'm treated with a little bit of repect.

What more could you ask for?

I feel very sad for those left in at the moment, some of the appalling things that happening are frankly unbelievable. Unfortunately I cannot see things getting much better.

Good luck to those left behind

The Winco

Master of None
30th Oct 2007, 16:37
Still in, still happy!! 19 Years done only 18 to do.:bored:

Seldomfitforpurpose
30th Oct 2007, 17:10
Happy as Larry, just posted to a new job which I cannot wait to start. I have enjoyed pretty much all of the last 33 years and really looking forward to the next 5 then a long and happy retirement on a 40' cruiser in the Med courtesy of a PAS pension....................:ok:

klingonbc
30th Oct 2007, 17:27
30+ years in - was in one war, helped after one civil war, many many years in COIN/AT ops, still feel very privileged to be allowed to wear the uniform, do the job and work to support the subordinates. The easy option is to quit when you don't like things ... get quite fed up reading all the c:mad:p that gets written here sometimes. The only mantra needed is "never let the bast'rds get you down." Oh nearly forgot ... and "shoot the pratattheback who invented JPA!"

Raincheck
30th Oct 2007, 17:40
Happily retired after kicking it into touch at age 50, 10 years ago. Like Seldomfitforpurpose has planned to do, I chose to go cruising on my boat and have been happily travelling for the last 10 years. Not certain that I would be at all happy now with what I hear of life and times in the mob. For those still there, hang on, your time will come !

Wokka Tech
30th Oct 2007, 17:45
Hypothetically speaking, if you were a SNCO posted into a relatively busy one man section and after, say 14 months in post, said section was closed in what was a purely cost cutting exercise. You were then moved to another section with the promise of promotion if you took your original primary task with you and carried out both full time jobs, in addition to now working shifts. Then after a further say 10 months still not promoted, but will be soonish because PMA have solved the problem by promoting someone else...... would you be happy :*

Op_Twenty
30th Oct 2007, 18:18
Are Typhoon guys happy, wouldn't be so sure...

gaylord
30th Oct 2007, 20:04
Yes I'm happy. I admit that I am in an interesting job with an excellent Boss who cares about the people who work for him - as we all should. I must admit I've come to accept that the RAF is run by some very strange people but I can live with it and I am in a position to say 'sod off don't be stupid' when asked to do daft things. Perhaps I'm just lucky........or thick!!!!

Biggus
30th Oct 2007, 21:01
Wokka Tech

You believed a 'promise of promotion.....'!!! How long have you been in?

And what of the promotion board that actually makes the decisions!!

Ed Winchester
30th Oct 2007, 21:21
Yes, I am still happy. Happy doesn't sell papers though.
18 years in, the flying is as good as it has ever been, the paperwork seems never ending, it is hard leaving a young family behind to go OOA again and again, but I cannot think of any other job I would rather be doing.

The day I do not look forward to my job will be the day I leave.

There, maybe that annoying banner informing me that I haven't posted on a thread for a while will disappear now.

Lamenting Navigator
30th Oct 2007, 21:46
Ed Winchester - I'm with you, the day I'm unhappy will be the day I leave. There are a few miserable Light Blues in the office at present, but hey, it's nearly December and the party season is just around the corner.

Op_Twenty
30th Oct 2007, 22:35
Let's wait 'till November, see if the government if forcing through Service restructure, then we'll come back to this thread and check if we're all still happy. Good point above - party season is nigh, let's be merry - might not be long left!

vecvechookattack
30th Oct 2007, 23:20
I'm happy. I'm in the FAA and life is good.

Spam_UK
30th Oct 2007, 23:25
I'm happy, wouldn't mind a bit of leave though!

dropintheoggin
30th Oct 2007, 23:54
I've never been unhappy, have only been in 10 years though. 9 years left and looking forward to them greatly. There's still some awesome flying to be had...

Robert Cooper
31st Oct 2007, 01:43
30 years in, left 14 years ago, now running my own business (with a very clever lady, I must add). Never had it so good. Enjoying every minute.

Bob C

Wokka Tech
31st Oct 2007, 03:47
Would you believe 28 years.......... The promotion was supposed to arise from an LUE change. I was foolish enough to want to believe that there was still some integrity left within my command structure. Now preparing to be shafted again, beginning to think someone doesn't like me. But that's a story for another time. Investors in people :mad: don't make me laugh.

L J R
31st Oct 2007, 08:09
Looking forward to a post from:

a. Someone who is still IN (No offence to the new guys who are enjoying themselves - and have ignorant bliss- but if that's OK then that's fine)
b. Someone who has posted more than 10 posts on Pprune
c. Any one who has seen it all (Questionable - and open to interpretation)
d. A PMA (or DG PERS - or whoever they are called) 'Career Manager'
e. Someone who is all of the above.

...as for me, well I am serving in my THIRD air force, and, after 27 years of flying military aircraft - they still pay me, I still complain, BUT I can walk tomorrow if it all gets too difficult. - Which I know will raise questions from some fellow Ppruners as to my answer to the question as posted....

scran
31st Oct 2007, 08:12
yeah - happy.

Left in April after 32 years in - no regrets then, none now.

(sorry I don't qualify LJR)

Tiger_mate
31st Oct 2007, 08:48
Happy

1. delighted, pleased, or glad, as over a particular thing: to be happy to see a person.
2. characterized by or indicative of pleasure, contentment, or joy: a happy mood; a happy frame of mind.
3. favored by fortune; fortunate or lucky: a happy, fruitful land.
4. apt or felicitous, as actions, utterances, or ideas.

NO

Content

1. satisfied with what one is or has; not wanting more or anything else.
2. British. agreeing; assenting.
3. Archaic. willing.
–verb (used with object) 4. to make content: These things content me.
–noun 5. the state or feeling of being contented; contentment: His content was threatened.
6. (in the British House of Lords) an affirmative vote or voter.

YES

Still In:
30+ Years, though still waiting for the 'bar' (LSGC)
10+ posts on Pprune
The nemesis of PMA
Vision of the future? Oh Yes. Includes the RAF? No!> Self Employment

shawtarce
31st Oct 2007, 10:05
Yes I'm happy at the moment, and getting happier every day.

I reckon my happiness should peak in around

2 years, 6 months and 24 days

thats without adding ressetlement, terminal and saved up annual leave

The Future's bright, the future's not purple........

dallas
31st Oct 2007, 11:08
I'm happy I am leaving. I'm also kind of happy few issues of substance are being tackled by my managers, who seem to favour froth and blame. It reassures me as I look to the future with one certainty - I don't want to do this anymore.

As is often the case I'm looking back with fond memories of some interesting and odd things I've got to do, but the past few years have been tarnished by knee-jerk policies, short termism and superficial changes from the top. We're smaller and way busier but haven't truly grasped that we have to do business differently now.

I don't know how it will be outside, but I'm optimistic and I can't say that about the future of the Service right now. I'm just crossing my fingers I get out before Iran...

WhoAreYa
31st Oct 2007, 12:00
All good down here in Australia :)

Looking back I enjoyed some good times in the RAF but it was time to move on. Certainly dont regret serving or leaving, a whole world to explore and lifes to short to stay if your not happy.

Keep up the good work boys and girls and if you ever get to the point that you dont enjoy the life in blue then move on.

Impiger
31st Oct 2007, 19:51
I'm happy and I meet most of LJRs criteria except d (and therefore e).

Had lots of great jobs working with great people in some interesting and challenging situations. Of course there are some plonkers out there but that's true in any walk of life. And yes there is much that could be improved, but once again that's true in most walks of life. So to the moaning gits out there: grin and bear it or poke off and leave those of us who are happy to enjoy our lives without you constantly dripping.

Throw another co-pilot on the fire BEags I'm getting chilly old chap.:ok:

R 21
1st Nov 2007, 09:45
Gents
People need to realise that in the RAF it is a two tier system. Those that never deploy and are fat dumb and happy and those that live in various deserts and are away too much and grumble about it.
90% of the deployments are done by 10% of the people !!

Master of None
1st Nov 2007, 12:59
R21

Do please be very careful what you assume! Some of us do enjoy ops, doing what we have spent many years training to do, seeing albeit slowly differences being made.

LJR

Why because it has taken me this long to finally get fed up of those determined to demean my job and generally grind down the morale of all around, when I easily comply with a and c of your criteria, do I qualify as someone with an opinion not worth others time?

bwfg3
1st Nov 2007, 13:53
I'm happy as a pig in pooh... Ill be orgasmic on Monday though and even more so when the Pension lump sum pitches up in my bank account!! Yes.. 3 days to do:}

Whoosh1999
1st Nov 2007, 14:03
I'm happy I left!!

9.81m/s/s
1st Nov 2007, 14:07
I will arise and go now, and go to Innisfree
And a small cabin build there, of clay and wattles made:
Nine bean rows will I have there, a hive for the honey bee,
And live alone in the bee-loud glade.

And I shall have some peace there, for peace comes dropping slow,
Dropping from the veils of the morning to where the cricket sings;
There midnight's all a glimmer, and noon a purple glow,
And evening's full of the Linnet's wings.

I will arise and go now, for always night and day
I hear lake water lapping with low sounds by the shore;
While I stand on the roadway, or on the pavements grey,
I hear it in the deep heart's core.

RETDPI
1st Nov 2007, 14:52
And a small cabin build there, of clay and wattles made:

Must be somebody else who didn't think to invest in the housing market.

Educated Armourer
1st Nov 2007, 15:09
I am now in my 28th year of Service and I am still happy (99% of the time) - but as an aside, am I the only one who thinks that when some starred wonder says something like "if you aren't happy then you should leave" (and I have heard it said) then they are breaking faith with the troops - if the people (their most important asset) are not happy then at least an attempt to make them so should be made. A little could go a long way here..... poor HTD rates, poor accommodation, poor welfare care for dependants when deployed....If they at least pretended to care.

I will now get off my soap box.

tarbaby
2nd Nov 2007, 04:14
I was happy (9/10) when airborne. I was extremely happy (10/10) over a long sea leg with no land-based nav aids. I was not happy on the ground.
I am now extremely happy when I wake up in the morning and the day is there.
I certainly would not be happy in the present day RAF. So sad.

Feck
2nd Nov 2007, 09:00
11 years in, 5 to go. Was I happy on the front line? The flying was fantastic but the life sucked, so on balance "no". Am I happy in my support role now? Good flying, happy family, a resounding "yes".

catbert
2nd Nov 2007, 10:14
I meet all of LJRs requirements except the number of posts (I've been busy) and the fact that I am an ex-career manager in a different staff appointment. I still find it astounding that posters really believe that PMA deliberately set out to mess people about. Desk officers and Trade Sqn Cdrs/staff are just you and me in another job, doing the best they can with a depleted manpower pool and a heavier OOA load. After 27 years I can honestly say I have never had a "bad" posting, I have had some short notice ones (3 weeks was the shortest), but I have always had a choice. I've been to some sh1tty places, but the people have always made up for it. I've got 5 years to do and I am still enjoying every day. I'm glad I didn't apply for redundancy (I was in the bracket) and I am still a volunteer for another OOA. There are still some happy people in the RAF.

cheesedoff
2nd Nov 2007, 11:22
I am sure that posters do not look further ahead than tomorrow, furthermore, they do not give a flying toss. I am currently fulfilling an OR9 job as an OR6. I do not get the pay or respect from fellow service colleagues who i work with on a regular basis and I struggle to get my job done (more to it than that) Cant wait to leave as I have had enough. So in summary, I am far, far from happy

LBGR
2nd Nov 2007, 11:50
Maybe the real question of this thread should not be 'Is anyone happy?', as i'm sure there will be a point were most people will end up unhappy or decide its not for them anymore and leave, the real question should be, given the option now, with all that youthful naivety, would you do it all again?

Echo 5
2nd Nov 2007, 14:23
Happy !!!!!.........I'm bloody delirious. Retirement date November 23rd. All domestic tasks, painting and decorating etc on the back burner til after Christmas. Lots of hill walking to do, pub lunches and getting pleasantly pi$$ed in front of a log fire. Been a long time coming but worth the wait.:D

4mastacker
2nd Nov 2007, 14:38
"I still find it astounding that posters really believe that PMA deliberately set out to mess people about."

Catbert

You obviously have been very lucky in your life.

I have encountered the Innsworth Mafia, and the attitude displayed by those desk jockeys was unprofessional at the very least. I was on an unaccompanied tour - not by choice I may add - and when I contacted my trade desk using 'Open Door' to have a chat about my next posting, I asked if I could be considered for any vacancy for my rank and trade, within commuting distance of my wife and kids. The response... "It's you that's in the Air Force , not your family. You'll go where we send you!" .. followed by the phone being put down.

And you wonder why people are not happy!!

I'm a civvy now and very happy.

C130 Techie
2nd Nov 2007, 19:26
Done 30 years in January 08. 8 years to do. Spent this summer in the Falklands and had a great time. Still happy although the constant tempo of change can be a bit wearing.

TyphoonSaloon
3rd Nov 2007, 01:53
I wonder what the proportion of Happy to Disgruntled people are of the commissioned club as opposed to the non commissioned. Just quickly looking it appears that most aircrew seem happy enough. Guys with usernames which are clearly non-commissioned aren't so. And this is by know means an accurate fact but just an observation.

Maybe its about having a say in your own destiny. More work and less personnel usually means the guys at the bottom of the ladder get it.

Moral is like an infection, it spreads very quickly. Positively and negatively. If we carry on ignoring the decline then its never going to heal. Statements from our intrepid leaders about fast moving trains and getting off if you're not enjoying the ride really do not help.

I really worry where we are heading.

For the record..... Its been good. Not so sure anymore. I just wish some money could be diverted from the money pit called the NHS and put into 'defence'. Sorry to use the swear word.

Al R
3rd Nov 2007, 07:23
Typhoon saloon,

I was chatting with a nurse after last week's Top Gear and the point was made.. 'Great, we have no money to clean hospitals, and the military is knobbing about with jets and sports cars'.

This morning, I am happy. Possibly an 8.5. The house is still quiet, the garden is looking good, its a bootiful day, I'm off swimming soon, the coffee is filtered and the sounds of innocent and peaceful slumbering from upstairs reminds me where the real priorities lie. Almost time for stand to.

Sausages.. check! Mushrooms, erm.. check. Scrambled eggs.. check. Bacon, ohhh.. check. Top up Mr Java? Check!

All the best. I hope everyone has a good day.

serf
3rd Nov 2007, 08:44
So ...........is my user name commissioned or non-commissioned?

332mistress
3rd Nov 2007, 10:47
serf

If I am a Group captain you could be commissioned. If I am a sergeant you are non -commissioned;)

332M

Episkopiana
3rd Nov 2007, 12:58
To all those coming to join me DownUnder......

The grass is definately greener on the other side.

See you soon!!!!!!!!!!!:)

TyphoonSaloon
3rd Nov 2007, 19:00
Al R

Unfortunately I feel the money which is being poured into the NHS isn't getting to the front line. Sounds all so familiar doesn't it. GP's are allegedly on over £100k now and refuse to work out of hours (9-5).

As I inferred, this is not a science about usernames. Just a guess

Report Line
3rd Nov 2007, 19:17
Is my name zob or non-zob?

Report Line
3rd Nov 2007, 19:20
Still proud to serve - problems there are - I will not disagree. As long as no one calls me a whinger! 8 years to run and still enjoying nearly every minute.