PDA

View Full Version : AVM Peter Howard Obituary

Gainesy
30th Oct 2007, 09:43
A really top bloke, aviation Doc who got his boots burned testing M-B's rocket seat.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/10/30/db3001.xml

peterperfect
30th Oct 2007, 10:15
A lot of folks owe their lives to men like AVM Howard. Top Bloke.
pp

Al R
30th Oct 2007, 11:50
<<As he ejected, the company's chairman, James Martin, had raced across the airfield in pursuit in his Rolls-Royce. When asked to describe his thoughts during the brief time in which he was descending by parachute, Howard commented: "The greatest hazard of the whole venture was the risk of landing on top of Mr Martin's car.">>

<<Despite his fear of heights and dislike of flying, Howard chose.. >>

.. to sit in trials ejection seats and be rocketed from jets?

Top man. :D

JP1
11th Nov 2007, 14:14
... Cardboard coffin and transported in a sidecar of a Harley Davidson to the cementry... (as reported by the local paper) That's how to go.

I remember when I worked at the IAM, a corporal recently posted, on walking past AVM Howard in the corridor simply said "Alright Mate" thinking he was the postman!!

herkman
11th Nov 2007, 18:48
I wonder what the true figure is, of how many people were saved by his efforts.

Remember talking to a Meteor Mark 4 pilot at Richmond one day, and asking him about leaving the aircraft.

With great difficulty he said.

Yes we have come a long way.

Thank you Doctor for your life, we all owe you

Col

airborne_artist
11th Nov 2007, 18:55
From the Guardian obit:

"He asked for his death to be marked with a humanist service and that his body be delivered in a cardboard coffin to Aldershot crematorium in the sidecar of his son's Harley Davidson motorcycle rather than in the customary hearse."