PDA

View Full Version : Logging hour building hours under JAR rules.

matrix777
29th Oct 2007, 15:38
Hi Folks,

Just started hour building this week in the US. Hadn't flown since completing JAR PPL 8 months ago before yesterday which was basically a checkride flight with an instructor.

One question when filling in my logbook can I log these hours as P1 or do they need to be filled in as dual hours.

Yesterday, the instructor filled in his name as captain for the flight on my logbook but filled in the hour as P1. Should this not be logged as P2 on my logbook since I am flying and he is the senior pilot within the aircraft.

There seems to be some confusion here between JAR and FAA rules for logging hours.

Any views on this would be very much appreciated. :)

Thanks.
Matrix777

MrHorgy
29th Oct 2007, 16:35
The checkride (in the UK at least) I believe should be logged as dual. Any further hours after this you log as P1 as long as you are in command. Only exception I believe was my PPL skills test which I did in the states, that was logged as P1 but with the examiner in as PIC.

Horgy

FlyingForFun
29th Oct 2007, 17:23
Horgy is basically right.

If the instructor logged P1, then you must log PUT. The instructor, if he is an FAA instructor, will be logging according to FAA rules, but you must log the time according to JARs if you want to count the time towards a JAR licence.

One quick one, though: "Should this not be logged as P2 on my logbook"... No, it should be logged as PUT. P2 is used when flying as co-pilot on a multi-crew aircraft.

And Mr Horgy, your successful skills test should have been logged as PICUS, not P1, although the hours do count towards your P1 hours so it makes very little practical difference, I'm just in a pedantic mood!!!

FFF
---------------

pilot-kitten
29th Oct 2007, 17:25
Your Check ride is logged as Dual - Any time there is an instructor sat in the right hand seat it is logged as dual with exeption to your skills tests and if they are going in the a/c as a mate and not an instructor.

Any flights done by yourself or with some pax is logged as P1!

Have fun Hour Building :-)

matrix777
3rd Nov 2007, 20:18
Thanks for the replies folks.

All the best.
Matrix777

Leezyjet
4th Nov 2007, 23:32
I flew in Cyprus a couple of years ago on holiday. I flew 2 one hour flights, the first the instructor was doing the check flight with me to make sure I was ok, so I logged that as Dual, but the next day when I went to fly the instructor came along for the ride as she had to come to the airport to get me issued with an airside pass and take me to the a/c and as I was going up alone and she had nothing else to do except wait for me to come back, I asked her if she wanted to come along, which she did. When I checked at the end of the flight what time I should log that as, she said it was fine as P1 as she wasn't technically instructing and was just along for the ride - although she did help me out on the radio with the heavily accented chap in ATC - she didn't use the radio, she just "translated" his broken English into better English for me to reply to !!.

Was that ok to log that 2nd hour as P1 ?. I'm not too sure after reading this thread.

:hmm:

rotorfossil
5th Nov 2007, 07:10
The criterion for logging P1 hours is that you signed for the aircraft in the tech log and you are in all respects captain of the aircraft. Hours building logged in the USA on traffic observation flights etc where there is another pilot in the aircraft and he is logging P1 do not count and will not be accepted by the CAA for the purpose of hours towards CPL. People have been caught out by this one!