PDA

View Full Version : R44 Oil Temp

CHOPPER74
29th Oct 2007, 12:07
I am flying in the NT at the moment where temps are reaching 40 plus degrees during the day. At around 20 to 21 inches of manifold pressure, and at 90 knots indicated, Oil temp is very near the red. Is it possible to buy secondary oil coolers like R22 's use and if so do these make a difference. Even at below 20 inches manifold temp is still very high. Are they normally this high at these temperatures.

topendtorque
29th Oct 2007, 12:42
This yime of the year there is always a superheated layer of air at and below 300 feet AGL.

If your work is supposed to be above 300'AGL then I do suggest that you pull a bit more power briefly and get above that where it is cooler, then reduce power to take advantage of it.

If your work is below 300'AGL then pull a bit less power, and plan to get up, fly at less power for a while and cool down every so often. Once your oil temp goes over the top your engine will never be the same. Look after it and it will look after you.

There is always gusts of winds changing all day, every which way including downards, this time of year also. You may think that you are only pulling 20 to 21" but that is only when you are looking, other times you will be panicking while you are trying to pick it up, like picking up a sagging dish cloth, the power will be higher, be careful.

An enclosed fuselage does not help your cause.

Check the trees out the window, when the leaves all point downawards that's a sure sign.
tet

Johe02
29th Oct 2007, 21:59
Raven I or II?

II's tend to run hot anyway. . i.e. middway between 350 deg and red line

scooter boy
30th Oct 2007, 00:06
My clipper II was running with a higher than usual oil temp in slightly warmer than usual UK weather (still bloody cold to you aussies). It usually ran on the white line which suggests where it should be in the middle of the green but was half way between the white line and the red. The engine cowls felt palpably hotter after I shut down also so I called the maintenence boys and they gave me the usual "it's probably the sensor, it'll be OK, we'll take a look next time you bring her up here" line, which is fair enough.

When I took it for a 50hr they found the sensor was OK and just changed a cheap component in the oil line and now it runs just fine, right on the white line again. Too late for me to remember the name of the component but it costs pennies and can account for slightly higher than normal running temps.

(and the component wasn't the named "the oil" or "the oil filter", it'll come back to me.

This may be your problem.

Or maybe it was just a bloody hot day.

SB

chopperpug
30th Oct 2007, 00:30
When I was flying Robbos in the NT, at this time of year, and just after the wet, the company I was flying would run W120, then as it cooled off go on to W100. There is a fair difference in oil temp noticeable. Not as much on the R22's, cos they had the second oil cooler with a scoop on the side, but on our R44 Astro, it made the difference between sitting nearly on the red, and back down next to the white line. Flew it all day long with that oil at 45+, and never got to the redline. Maybe ask the engineers about it. If your running Phillips oil though, this will be no help to you what so ever ::8, and you will have to go with TET's suggestion. You will be surprised how quick it will cool down up over 1000'.
Now moved on to B206's and in this heat in WA, still only lifting as much as an R44. Well.. maybe a little bit more. But at least the starts sound cool. :}

Johe02
30th Oct 2007, 07:08
Ah yes. . . was getting late.

Point still valid - perhaps?

VH-XXX
30th Oct 2007, 10:25
Lucky most of you are pilots and not LAME's.

"Once your oil temp goes over the top your engine will never be the same. Look after it and it will look after you."

The only real damage you'll do in the short term is to the oil. If it's changed more frequently there should be no dramas. A change in oil type may also be appropriate for the conditions.

topendtorque
30th Oct 2007, 12:30
Now now XXX

Now that is an old brand of beer is it not?

Old enough to remember perchance just how impossible it was to resucitate an old over square Falcon donk if it went over the red line on temp?

Same deal mate. metal gets hotter than it's supposed to, it stays rooted, and softer.
regards tet

Graviman
1st Nov 2007, 21:43
Engine oil viscosity is adversely affected by temp. Too hot and you will wear the bearing shells, piston rings and possibly valvetrain. I can't say what safety margin Lycombing designed that engine too, but the red line is there for a reason.

I am surprised cooler struggles at 40C. Cooler may need pressure washing to clean out grass etc. There may be build up inside the cooler, which can be flushed out at the same time as an oil change.

Gaseous
1st Nov 2007, 22:26
The optimum operating oil temperature for the Lycoming 540 is 180 deg C
Arrgh No. You mean fahrenheit. If it ever sees 180C you are in deep trouble! I havent got my R44 (Astro-I know I'm out of date) POH handy but I think the red line is 118 deg C or 245 deg F.
As a general rule of thumb I consider 220F time to think about doing something to bring it down.
Lycomings limits are on the high side for both oil temp and CHT.

Edit: limits above are correct.

mini
1st Nov 2007, 23:09
Gas, I think he was referring to CHT at 180 - and sump being 50 deg less. :ok:

Gaseous
1st Nov 2007, 23:43
Mini, Possibly, maybe he'll tell us but thats not what he says and it still doesnt stack up.
Conventional wisdom does suggest 180F a good operating temp for Lycoming engines,
reference: http://www.sacskyranch.com/eng18.htm
Also 50 deg below 180deg C is 130deg C - way above the red line.
Also 180 deg C is a little cool for CHT. You would be very lucky to keep all the heads to 180C or 356F.
Its easy to press the C key instead of the F. No criticism implied.:ok: