PDA

View Full Version : Current pilots and where they trained

BHX86
26th Oct 2007, 16:41
Hi people,

I was just wondering whether it would be a good idea to ask CURRENT PILOTS where they trained, cost of the training at the time, and what they are doing now.

I think a list would show us what flying schools are/were popular amongst PPRuNe pilots who trained there. Please keep it to just a list so that people can easily trawl through it.

Just a suggestion if anybody wants to add to it.

Cheers

modern monkey
26th Oct 2007, 17:06
Nice idea, but to be honest this thread wont proove anything.

For every flight school there will be some employed ex students, and some un-employed ex students, every flight school has ex students flying somewhere. The results of this thread will just depend on who looks at it and who can be bothered replying.

Anyway, Stapleford flight centre... no flying job as yet......

Wow, so OAT must be a better bet than Stapleford then?!

flan
27th Oct 2007, 02:14
Oxford for Ground school
Multiflight CPL/ME/IR
MCC Jetlinx

Currently flying B737-700 out of Man

Any path that leads to a job works

Regards

flan

wobble2plank
27th Oct 2007, 09:45
Her majestys pleasure, some where secret :eek:
15 hours stooging around at Exeter Airways Flight training. £3,500
Airbus A320 family waiting for the big fat one A380 :}

Goes to show that this thread doen't really mean that much, each has his totally different route to the cockpit. This industry is very much being in the right place at the right time. When the industry is in boom and pilots are desperately needed then the companies will take anyone with a licence irrespective of the route to gaining your green/blue folder.

When times are hard then the companies will cream off the top of the aspirational pilot pool. Always remember that during a downturn, experienced pilots will be laid off by seasonal/charter companies so there will be experienced people in the job market.

It's a killer to predict. Shoot high first, go for the best employer you can then work slowly downwards. After all, even if you get a rejection from VA/BA/Ezy etc. they will still have your application on record.

Good luck

davey147
27th Oct 2007, 10:57
This thread probably would be more useful if people supplied the following:-

Date they started training -
Date they completed training -
Where they completed training (list schools) -
Where they work now -
When did they start work -

By supplying the info above, people can see how long it takes to go from flight school to first job etc.

asuweb
28th Oct 2007, 00:20
OAT APP Jan 06 - June 07

June 07, RHS BAe 146

badboy raggamuffin
30th Oct 2007, 00:31
Started Jan 2006,
PPL BM Aviation, Spain,
Ground School: London Met,
Hours building in Florida,
CPL/MEP/IR: Stapleford flight Centre,
MCC European Aviation Bournemouth. All completed June 07.

Gained job Oct 07 flying for a regional airline.

My take is that you don't have to go to an integrated school to get a job, but if you do go modular you will need to go out there and work a lot harder to get yourself an interview, no job is gonna fall into your lap.
From what I have seen some of the integrated guys seem to get it a bit easier and get handed interviews on a plate when they come out of training.
To be honest I don't think the FTO you go to is that important in getting a job, its more to do with how much effort you put in to hunt one down. (Unless you go to an integrated school, in which case the hunting seems to be done for you!)
I'm still in touch with a few people who were at Stapleford at the same time as me and the majority of them have either got a job or got something in the pipes, not because there is anything particularly special about Stapleford, but because they are the type of people who have gone out and tackled the job market by the horns after training.

supramkiv
30th Oct 2007, 22:43
PPL & CPL UK (Sussex Flying Club, BCFT)
Hour Building in Florida
IR in Spain (Aerodynamics Malaga)
MCC (EAAC, Bournemouth)

Finished mid June '07, got invited for interview within 2 weeks and currently RHS on 146.

Polarhero
31st Oct 2007, 13:13
Started - Dec2005
Finished - Nov 2006
Modular - ATPL's Naples GS, CPL/MEIR Triple A Humberside, MCC AFT
Cost £50,000 ish.
Age - mid 30s
Current type - A320 started May 2007, FI before.

EGCC4284
31st Oct 2007, 13:31
PPL at Welshpool in August 1999 (4 week intense course)
Finished all my training October 2005
PPL Welshpool
Hour building at Barton in a shared Cessna 150
ATPL correspondence course at Bristol Ground School
CPL JD Aviation at Manchester Airport
IR at Ravenair at Liverpool Airport
MCC at The Flight Centre Wolverhampton
Cost of training about £45,000
No A or O levels. Average CSE's
3 interview and sim assessments in 15 months
2 Jet job offers in the space of 4 weeks in January 2007
Now RHS 737 for a charter out of Manchester
39 years old and 440 hour when I started
Type rating done at CTC over 2 months
Just finished line training and just completed line check
Intend being here until I retire

Whilst modular training, I was an aircraft refueller at Manchester for 9 years.
This is were I got the idea to become a Commercial Pilot

Prior to that, I was a long distance lorry driver for 10 years. I drove for Eddie Stobarts for 3 years and still have the uniform. I also drove hazardous chemical waste tankers for 6 years, quiet a dangerous job carrying some real nasty gear all over the UK for treatment or disposal. Someone had to do it.

Peoples perception of Lorry Drivers and of Commercial Pilots are quite different. I am still the same person.

A bit of advice to all wannabe's

Don't look too far ahead in what training you have left to do.

This will make you disheartened. Concentrate on the particular bit of training you are currently doing. Take one step at a time.

There is always someone in their training wishing they were in your position.
i.e., when you have completed your PPL, there will be someone you know who has just started their PPL training wishing they were in your shoes.

When you have hour built, their is always someone wishing they had the hours you have

When you have passed your 14 ATPL exams, there is always someone started that correspondence course wishing they were in your shoes.

This is the same with regards all the training required to become a Commercial Pilot.

So when you feel a bit down about how long it takes, remember, there is always someone behind you wishing they were in your shoes.

Believe in yourself and try to be positive and network, network and network.

Make sure your CV is very well prepared and laid out professionally. There are a couple of people who use pprune who help with this service. They also do interview preparation courses. Pilot Pete (Peter Smith) and Penny Austin are 2 that spring to mind.

If you fail an interview or sim assessment, learn from it and take that to your next interview and assessment.

Good luck everyone.

Regards Rob

Waldo
31st Oct 2007, 19:17
RAF Flying Scholarship PPL 1976 FREE
College of Air Training Hamble 1978 FREE
757/767 type rating all FREE :ok:
HA HA HA HA HA !!!!!! Beat that!!!!!
Trouble is I'm now paying for my son to train in Spain , cost £70000 they got me in the end :* :*

Sam-MAN
31st Oct 2007, 19:43
Very interesting thread this is making out to be :ok:

Certainly gives a good idea of what it will be like for people who hope to be pilots, like myself!

Only 6 years to go and i might be up there in the left hand seat! *dreams on* :E

EGAC_Ramper
31st Oct 2007, 20:02
ATPl Ground School ---- Oxford Feb 2005-Sept 2005
CPL/ME/IR ------------ Bristol Flying Centre Nov 2005-May 2006
Boeing 737 ------------ Dec 2006 til present :ok:

boredpilot
31st Oct 2007, 20:56
PPL 1994 aged 24
Modular CPL/IR Bournemouth - 1999 (school no longer in existence)
FI(A) Old Sarum - 1999
JAA ATPL theory Oxford - 2004
MCC Jetlinx - 2004
So far no interviews (but only been 3 years looking), so remain ME/IR FI(A) !