PDA

View Full Version : Using a CPL

tegwin
25th Oct 2007, 22:58
Once you have completed your CPL and have a bit of paper infront of you from the CAA thanking you for spending so much money with them.....

...Are you legally allowed to rent an aircraft in the same way a PPL can as a self fly hire, and then use the aircraft for whatever legal commercial opperations you wish, or does this bring up complicated issues with insurance, aircraft licensing etc?

And would I be correct in that; you are required to have a first aid certificate and have done some form of aviation related firefighting course before being able to opperate commercial flights? (was something I picked up on a very bizare information website and im not sure its true)

Bravo73
25th Oct 2007, 23:38
...Are you legally allowed to rent an aircraft in the same way a PPL can as a self fly hire, and then use the aircraft for whatever legal commercial opperations you wish, or does this bring up complicated issues with insurance, aircraft licensing etc?

Basically, no. For most commercial operations, you also need an AOC (an Air Operator's Certificate.)

And would I be correct in that; you are required to have a first aid certificate and have done some form of aviation related firefighting course before being able to opperate commercial flights? (was something I picked up on a very bizare information website and im not sure its true)

In order to operate single pilot commercial flights, you will need a First Aid qualification, a firefighting qualification and have completed a CRM course. (In addition to your Base and Line checks with an AOC operator.)

BTW, Tegwin. This will be the third time that I've helped you out with your various enquiries. I hope that you're going to be a little bit more appreciative about it this time round...

Camp Freddie
26th Oct 2007, 00:06
Tegwin,

oh dear, I dont know where to start :( but here goes

...Are you legally allowed to rent an aircraft in the same way a PPL can as a self fly hire, and then use the aircraft for whatever legal commercial opperations you wish

No
or does this bring up complicated issues with insurance, aircraft licensing etc?

Yes

in brief the aircraft operator needs an AOC (air operators certificate). you need to be line pilot for that operator and complete flights for an OPC (operator proficiency check) which you do every 6 months and is usually tied in with the LPC (licence proficiency check) each year. also you need to do a flight for a line check each year and also complete some ground stuff i.e CRM (crew resource management) and ESE (emergency and safety equipment) check.

in my opinion "CPL(H) only, chance of employment poor or nil", you need to get the relevant hours to get a FI rating or an IR.

regards

CF

tegwin
26th Oct 2007, 09:38
That makes sence chears guys. Deffinately something else to think about:ok:

Mark 1
26th Oct 2007, 09:56
I believe that you can be employed as a pilot to carry an individual who has owned/leased/rented an aircraft, without having to have an AOC (e.g. chauffering VIPs, jockeys etc). But this is a relatively rare niche of CPL privilege.
Insurers would normally treat this as private aviation.

K48
26th Oct 2007, 10:29
Thanks Mark1,

Enlightening. Can anyone enlighten the situatoin for CPL holder as regards Aerial Photography.. I.e How can it be done legally?