PDA

View Full Version : Co-pilot positions

PhilJ
25th Oct 2007, 13:40
It seems that most of the countries where touring work (6 on 6 off etc)occurs, companies are employing overseas captains but use local co-pilots. Can anyone shed some light on countries/companies which offer touring co-pilot positions?

Choppie
25th Oct 2007, 14:44
Doesn't offshore companies like Bristow or CHC use co-pilots from wherever?

PhilJ
25th Oct 2007, 14:55
I know Bristow use Nigerian co-pilots in Nigeria just don't know if it is exclusively nigerian copliots or a mix and don't know about the other countries they operate in. I would imagine there is a lot of political pressure to employ nationals in most countries.

N Arslow
25th Oct 2007, 14:57
I got in with CHC Global earlier this year a couple of hundred hours shy of what they need for Captain (insurance) so am a Co at present and will hopefully upgrade soon after I get the time - that way they can justify having a non-local in the position. Of course, most contracts are won on the basis of a nationalisation programme which usually means starting by filling co-pilot seats with locals until they are upgradeable - which in some places takes a very long time...

chcoffshore
25th Oct 2007, 17:42
Why don't you look on www.chc.ca (http://www.chc.ca) and look at the employment site! Or use google or spend a few hours searching different employment websites, seriously it's not that difficult!:ugh:

PhilJ
25th Oct 2007, 22:56
chcoffshore,

Funnily enough I have already done just that. I have a resume lodged on the CHC recruiting system and have spent vastly more than a few hours with google, pprune west africa and middle east threads, employment sites and various companies websites many of which are recruiting captains and not recruiting co-pilots. That doesn't really fill me in on wether they are just not advertising, only hire locals or simply aren't hiring.

212man
25th Oct 2007, 23:10
Bristow has certainly had several SFOs in expat Nigeria, and I think they still do.

chcoffshore
26th Oct 2007, 06:06
PhilJ,

Sorry at least you're making the effort. IMHO you should phone the HR dept's and find out who the chief pilots are and basically invite yourself along for a chat.......... It does work, and its better to put a face/personality to a cv when you already have a mountain on your desk.

Good luck:ok:

Ps it worked for me many years ago.

rotorheadcase
29th Oct 2007, 07:20
Hey Phil J,

Gulf Helicopters in Qatar regularly brings in ex-pat co-pilots and the requirements are not that onerous. Roughly 1000 hrs time on helos, a turbine rating (and an Instrument Rating as a nice to have). If you don't have a B212/412 rating you will be required to sign a 2 year bond.

Rotation is 6:6 or 8:4 with opportunities for extra work overs. Pay is not great for F.O's but doesn't suck either as it's tax free.

Check their website as they are actively recruiting at the moment.