PDA

View Full Version : ATPL-H exams why so much airplane knowledge??

kpd
24th Oct 2007, 22:45
Maybe I will be moderated into the Wannabees forum but here is where the helicopter pilots reside!! As a non-pilot looking at the ATPL-H exams why do you have to know so much about fixed-wing to become a helicopter pilot??? I read that perhaps specific exams for helicopters are coming but that discussion seems to start in 2004-helicopter pilots truly must be patient people!!

Whirlygig
24th Oct 2007, 22:52
Supply and demand.

And yes, we are truly patient people :} As I sit here learning about fixed wing flight planning and how many fire extinguishers and first aid kits I need on board if I have 400 passenger seats! :rolleyes:

Cheers

Whirls

oscar bravo
25th Oct 2007, 01:15
You will find when taking the actual exam that there are very few airplane questions. If you study the "RTC" and the "ALL" questions you should do well. That's my experience anyways...a pretty easy test if you are prepared. I bought a computer based study guide, went through the appropriate questions about 5 times, and did well. Your mileage may vary.

paco
25th Oct 2007, 02:57
KPD - I assume you are talking about the JAA exams - you've probably noticed this thing called the interim system that allows helicopter pilots, in the absence of ATPL(H) training/syllabuses, etc, to take aeroplane exams and have them credited. Now there is a modular ATPL(H) course, maybe that will go away fairly soon.

phil

oscar bravo
25th Oct 2007, 03:57
Whooops...didn't notice you were on the other side of the pond.:}

SmokinHole
25th Oct 2007, 11:36
I doubt the interim procedure will go away anytime soon - unfortunately..

You are right that the reason for the 'Aeroplane add-on' was due to supply and demand. The JAA made a ATPL(H) syllabus, but produced no questions. The UK CAA then allowed the interim procedure and we were all stuck with learning about those other flying things..

Now the JAA have got their act together and have produced specific helicopter questions for all exams, AND the UK CAA like it and want the interim procedure dropped, but no.. Supply and demand is still driving this except now it's the schools that are holding back and to be honest, I can't really blame them.

For them to drop the interim procedure they will have to re-create their ATPL(H) course syllabus, including all manuals, all course notes and THEN still have to get them approved by the CAA.. All this costs money of course, and for what? A group of pilots that still probably number in the single percentage figures compared to all new pilots..

The only school that has UK approval for the proper ATPL(H) theory is in Florida! When I did mine (a year ago), no school in the UK had the approval, so its interims all round please..

Personally, I would like to see it go, simply because as our esteemed Whirly implied, its full of ****e.. I'd say around 70% of the course is completely useless for helicopter pilots, in fact a lot of the ATPL(A) theory is useless for fixed wing pilots.. The whole thing could do with a revamp.

If you decide you want to actually do this theory course then remember this: make sure you register for the correct exams! The interim procedure process is well documented so it's no real issue, but the interim ATPL(H) course DOES NOT prepare you for the proper ATPL(H) exams..

Good luck!

Pandalet
25th Oct 2007, 14:21
The only school that has UK approval for the proper ATPL(H) theory is in Florida!

Actually, that's not quite true - there is a UK school that has approval for proper ATPL(H) training due to start operations in the next month (I believe).

I don't know whether it's allowed to post the URL here (mod?), so PM me if you want it.

Bravo73
25th Oct 2007, 14:39
I don't know whether it's allowed to post the URL here (mod?), so PM me if you want it.

I wouldn't worry about it, Pandalet. The company name is just up the screen there.

Right under paco's name! :ok:

Pandalet
25th Oct 2007, 15:24
I almost pointed that out, but decided to go the discretion / valour route...

But yes, Paco would be a good place to start for enquiries ;)

kpd
25th Oct 2007, 20:23
Dear all Yes it was the JAA qualification i was enquiring about. You have me a little confused about the modular ATPL-H course and who provides it? Could you elaborate - I presume Florida is Bristows but I dont yet know what CAPT is!!

paco
26th Oct 2007, 04:58
There will be an ad up at the top of your screens after the 1 Nov, but essentially I now have an approval to conduct JAA ATPL(H) Modular distance learning, plus first multi-engine conversion pre-entry with CPL(H) to follow in a couple or three weeks.

Phil