PDA

View Full Version : Low hours pilot looking for job

kirkegaard
24th Oct 2007, 21:10
I'm looking for a job to build some hours. I will go anywhere in the world for a job. The last couple of days I have been looking thru the internet/pilot-forums and have sent out a lot of job applications/resumes.
However, a lot of them have high requirements. I only have a total of 253 hrs(204 ME)+IR+CPL-ME = FAA certificates and I feel like I have ended up in a "catch 22"-situation. The companies want experience to give you a job, but to get a job I need experience! I'm not an american citizen but from Europe. A way would be to get the instructor-ratings, but I dont think thats the thing for me..... Any suggestion? Anybody have anybody they can recomend and who is currently hiring....

cumulus pajaritus
24th Oct 2007, 21:18
join the Q....

your assigned number is 1564 (they are taking care of number 201 right now)...

:E

kirkegaard
24th Oct 2007, 21:28
hehe.... very reassuring... cheers

Mercenary Pilot
24th Oct 2007, 21:55
I have ended up in a "catch 22"-situation

Nah this is aviation, you started in one! :p

I think you will probably need to get your JAA licence sorted for a real chance at a proper job in the EU. You could try getting hold of some private owners who have N-reg aircraft, see if they have any work going. Even if its just a bit of safety pilot stuff, still hours in the book at the end of the day. :ok:

Captain N
24th Oct 2007, 21:56
yep sad but true, joined the que myself a month ago!
Two airlines to consider if u can pay for type rating and live on little money for 3months!
Ryanair and Aerarann

Good luck:ok:

Barefoot Flyer
28th Oct 2007, 08:56
Considered Africa? Have a search in the Africa forum. 100 hours a month of good bush flying..

diver69
28th Oct 2007, 09:48
Two airlines to consider if u can pay for type rating and live on little money for 3months!
Ryanair and Aerarann

Not really sure thats fair Captain N.

Aer Arann TR is 25K Euro, however they pay for flights, accom, provide uniform, LOL Insurance, hotels, contribution towards gym membership etc etc. The TR takes about a month.
From the day TR is in your logbook you are on full pay, full sector, full duty, meal allowance pay etc etc, ie you are on full pay during line training.
As a pilot with 250 hrs total time my first month take home pay was 2200 Euro, only because sector pay, meals, duty are paid 1 month in arrears(ie, July pay is Basic pay for July plus expenses/sector pay etc for June) My second months pay therfore was 3800 Euro - take home. This is about the norm every month now. Suspect this is a little more than a F/O in RYR in their first 6 months.

If you remain with Arann 12,500 of the TR cost is returned to you as well .

The Arann deal is by no means the best out there, and I am not trying to suggest it is - but a little more research is required before you start comparing Arann with the Ryans please!!!:=

PS: Cracking little company to work with:ok:

Captain N
28th Oct 2007, 15:47
By the way "diver69"
you wouldnt know if they are processing online applications at the moment, sent mine mid september no reply since!
I know they prefer people who are recomended but do they get enough people that way?

diver69
28th Oct 2007, 23:37
Captain N,

I was not trying to imply Arann is better than RYR either!!! There is also a lot to be said for racking up a lot of jet hours quickly early on in your flying career - so each to their own.

I was just trying to point out that apart from the 'minor' issue of having to pay upfront for TR, the starting pay at Arann is more than sufficient to survive on - your initial post implied this was not the case and I just wanted to set the record straight.

I honestly dont know what is happening in terms of recruitment at the moment, some pilots will want to stay long term with Arann because living in Ireland (not Dublin), quick cmd upgrades, and being home every night suits them, but the nature of TurboProp operations would suggest that a turnover of some pilots who move on to jets is likely, so keep plugging away if they sound like what you are after.

Very best of luck:)

lalbak
30th Oct 2007, 00:23
start flying sightseeing tours or para dropping somewhere. this will allow you to build hours very fast and they almost never have any requirements/interviews, etc

Always Moving
31st Oct 2007, 04:47
You need the license of the country you work for.

If you have FAA license it will take time and money (lots of it) to convert to JAA so I suggest get the FI from the FAA and choose the region you want to work on Middle East, Asia.
I can get you a job tomorrow if you had a FI. PM me if you want more specifics.