PDA

View Full Version : Sing for your K

Basil
24th Oct 2007, 20:13
Just been reading about Wing Commander James Leonard Dell OBE who was awarded his OBE for services to test flying aircraft such as Spitfires, Meteors, Venoms, Hunters F-100, F-104, F-105, F-106, Mystere IV, Mirage III, English Electric Lightning and TSR2.

So let me get this right - a man of courage and talent gets an OBE - wandering minstrels get a K (take your pick from the many).

Decline and F all of the Roman Empire springs to mind.

Jetex Jim
25th Oct 2007, 05:46
He got to fly Spitfires, Meteors, Venoms, Hunters F-100, F-104, F-105, F-106, Mystere IV, Mirage III, English Electric Lightning and TSR2.

Seems to me he didn't get such a raw deal...

Basil
27th Oct 2007, 09:28
An OBK? What the hell is that?
Sorry, I don't know either :)

AvroLincoln
27th Oct 2007, 09:38
K = Knighthood

TheSmiter
27th Oct 2007, 10:56
An OBK? What the hell is that?

Sadly Matt you'll never know unless you happen to be a simpering civil serpent, some sort of celebrity or a wealthy individual prepared to donate to a good cause ............

allegedly.

tablet_eraser
27th Oct 2007, 12:24
Sorry to say, but it makes my blood boil when you see people whose greatest achievement has been to work in a chip shop for 50 years being awarded an MBE.

Sure, it's great that honours are a meritocratic system, but there are a lot of people who have done a hell of a lot more of value with their lives. Why reward someone who has done just one job for his or her whole life, especially when that job contributes nothing more to the community than a few heart attacks and the odd squashed chip on the pavement? It completely devalues the system, imho.

Lollipop Lady MBE... now, there's someone who might actually deserve the award for having worked to protect schoolchildren. But doesn't that mean that every soldier who puts his life on the line, under far more dangerous conditions, to save a buddy's life should win an MBE or OBE?

H Peacock
27th Oct 2007, 17:26
Had the honour of meeting the great Jimmy Dell during the end of Canberra celebrations last year. Absolutely smashing bloke, and it was great to talk to him first-hand about flying the wonderful TSR2.

Also saw him at one of the Lightning runs at Bruntingthorpe.

:D

ArthurR
28th Oct 2007, 14:49
Quote TheSmitter
"Sadly Matt you'll never know unless you happen to be a simpering civil serpent, some sort of celebrity or a wealthy individual prepared to donate to a good cause ............"

is this cause Political campain funds or just politicians pockets :mad:

airsound
28th Oct 2007, 19:00
Seem to have stumbled into the wrong thread - thought this one was about shortage of older Herculeses.

Still, now I'm here, am reminded of those awards to the aforetomentioned simpering civil serpents
two in particular:
KCMG (Knight Commander of the order of St Michael and St George), generally known as 'Kindly Call Me God'
and
the even more desirable GCMG (Grand Commander of Mick n George, I think), usually known as 'God calls me God'.

airsound