PDA

View Full Version : Ab-Initio, cadet or Pilot?

SAS-A321
24th Oct 2007, 17:21
I have now seen ab-initio and cadet used about pilots without a type rating.

Luxair is looking for ab-initios to fly Dash 8-Q400 and Embraer 135, but they are looking for non-typerated pilot.

There is a Ryanair cadet program...? Dunno about it, but I don't think that Ryanair educates any from 0 hours to right hand seat.

Is it just my lack of knowledge or is this an incorrect way of referring to non-type rated pilots?

Other Ab-Initio programs I have seen are for people with 0 hours and will take them to a career as a pilot.

Could this also be a smart move by the airlines to call non-type rated pilots for ab-initio and cadets to reduce their salary?

AlphaMale
24th Oct 2007, 17:27
Could this also be a smart move by the airlines to call non-type rated pilots for ab-initio and cadets to reduce their salary?

From what I have read type rating a fATPL pilot/cadet doesn't cost the airline anything as it's all rolled into the package when they buy the aircraft, so I don't think your ar wrong is saying they can pay you less due to a so called bond. And the reassurance to the airline you received the type rating from a reliable school. I should imagine Luxair will have a choosen school where they'd like all their pilots to get trained at.

boeingbus2002
25th Oct 2007, 11:56
It just seems to be different terminology for different companies.
Ab-initio used to mean ZERO hours, however to some airlines I have contacted they mean ZERO commercial experience.
The same applies to Cadets. BA/Bmi/Aer Lingus sponsored Cadets at one stage to obtain a FATPL, however I have seen airlines like QR, Ryanair use the term to refer to Low hour FATPL candidates. Very confusing!!