PDA

View Full Version : CPL fail!

expedite08
24th Oct 2007, 16:52
Managed to do just that! Does it count heavily against you in the future if you have had to re-take a test? Do quite a few people fail first go?

Ennie
24th Oct 2007, 17:00
Sorry to hear you failed.
I failed my first IR, I also know many colleagues who have failed this and that, certainly wasn't asked in my interview with my employer if I had failed anything, I wouldn't concern myself with it, concentrate on passing it next time, good luck.

fantom
24th Oct 2007, 18:02
Relax; it doesn't mean a thing.

niallbhoy
24th Oct 2007, 19:02
no it dosent mean a thing, the current first time passes for the cpl in britain at the moment is 40%. think the ir is more important.

sick_bag
25th Oct 2007, 08:55
dont worry about it mate, you arent marked for life by any means!

is the pass rate for a cpl really only 40%? also i heard the ir pass rate is only 30% - anyone know where these stats come from - the caa website perhaps? i'd be interested to see them for myself.

In a two hour flight (under pressure) there is so much opportunity to mess something up that it could happen to just about anyone, especially with stats like that! I saw a couple of good people fail the cpl or ir due to nerves alone, so thats one thing to try to control for a start. Other than that, just treat it like a normal training flight as much as possible and be in command of the aeroplane at all times (or at least do a good impression of knowing whats going on!!) Both examiners i've met were good guys, they know what you're going through, so dont worry!

Best of luck :ok:

Heavens Above
25th Oct 2007, 11:23
I think it would only effect you if you wanted to go down the CTC route as they require first series passes. But as its closed at the moment and for the near future I don't think it will matter much to you.

GgW
25th Oct 2007, 12:02
First time passes or first series passes does not really mean anything, from my point of view the question should be in how many hours did you do the CPL or IR course. If you passed your IR or CPL the first time and did 70 hours for a 55 course that is pretty sh.t compair to a guy that passed it the 2nd time and did the course in minimum time.

cavortingcheetah
25th Oct 2007, 12:07
:hmm:

Wouldn't gve it a second thought old bean!
If it's any consolation, being a trifle thick, although you'd never know it from the brilliance of my posts, I've had to rewrite just about everything twice.
Only ever been asked once if I ever failed an IR renewal. I had. I admitted it, explained that a Botswana ATP renewal in an F27 simulator, in New Zealand at 00.200hrs after a fifteen hour flight from JHB was perhaps to be expected and didn't get the job! A pity, I would have been a credit to the company! I happen to know that I only just didn't get the job. The IR failure had nothing to do with it at all. It was the admission of failure that nearly got me the job!
Keep soldiering on and never forget that all those sons of the wrong side of the blanket who made it first time probably either cheated or will burn out by the time they are forty five!:eek:

G SXTY
25th Oct 2007, 13:15
It really doesn't matter.

I've seen really good pilots get a partial, I've seen decidedly average pilots get a first time pass. There is so much scope to get something wrong (or just be unlucky - e.g. with wx or rt loading) that both the CPL and IR tests are a bit of a lottery.

the dean
25th Oct 2007, 13:32
ex 80,

do'nt worry about it....

i am an examiner in JAA land and i can assure you nothing will be thought of it by the next examiner and any future employer will not ask nor know nor indeed perhaps care once you have your ticket i suspect.

brush up where you think you were weak...take a deep breath and apply again.

ask an instructor ( or an examiner instructor if you can get one ) to take you through an imitation test ( not really much need to do a full X/C if you navigation is ok...so just brush up on the airwork...or what area/s did you feel gave you a problem...maybe we can help..??

keep smiling...:E bet you plenty of good pilots out there have had a hiccup in tests at times. next day they probably could have passed...as i'm sure you could have also..

most people do not love flights and some do not perform well under those conditions but it does'nt always mean their flying is bad.....

onward and upward....:ok:

the dean.

CarbHeatIn
25th Oct 2007, 15:37
I think it would only effect you if you wanted to go down the CTC route as they require first series passes.

Is this new? I know someone who's not long in Easy via CTC with a Series 2 IR.

niallbhoy
25th Oct 2007, 17:58
i dont know where the 40% comes from, my instructor just came over and congratulated me after the test and he told me then. i could see how it happens, so easy to mess something up or just get unlucky.

Mikehotel152
17th Mar 2009, 11:30
I've seen really good pilots get a partial, I've seen decidedly average pilots get a first time pass.

That is so true. I did my MEP with a guy who passed the IR first time, but looking back at how he flew on the MEP course, I was surprised to say the least! Another guy was an excellent pilot and breezed through the PPL and CPL, but failed the IR first time. I was shocked.

Put it this way, you can fly the test perfectly and make one mistake on final approach which gives the Examiner no option but to fail/partial you, or you could be a relatively poor pilot and scrape through the skills without actually failing and get a pass. That's the luck element.

In my opinoin it's so easy to fail or partial the CPL and IR tests that you shouldn't get too downhearted about it. Just learn from your first experience and from what other people have done wrong. :)

OneIn60rule
17th Mar 2009, 12:26
Good for people to fail.

You can't expect an examiner to pass you if you were rubbish. Can you?

On my CPL I received a partial pass despite thinking it was going to be a fail.
Again the Nav!

I've heard stories about people failing it 3 times over and even 7 times over without passing.

Some are just far too nervous because it's a "test". I have no words about this situation except that these individuals should regard themselves as Captains of said test and do the safe things. Do what you as P1 aught to be doing for the safety of your pax.

Never start thinking what the examiner might be writing or what you maybe missing, just do the flight as you've always done. If you do hash something and the examiner notices, just ignore it and continue.

There's one man I know who stated that regardless of what you failed.. you should be honest about it with your future employer and do try not to say "if he had just let me do so so I could've done it!"=== that's the wrong attitude.
The correct way:"Well frankly I made a hash of it".

Above all else, take in what is said on your debriefing regardless of your pass or fail. Both are valuable for your future career.

1/60