PDA

View Full Version : G'ment policy of deporting injured troops. (Merged)

Al R
24th Oct 2007, 07:56
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7059170.stm

What the heck is going on? We allow the detritus of Europe to stay, but because we are small minded enough to have 'control' over loyal, hardworking and productive people instead, we actually had a policy of deporting those who served us? And still, its being decided on a case by case basis.

I really do despair, my levels of loyalty, compassion and affection for the institution that are the MoD and the Armed Fo.. sorry, Services are diminishing faster than JPA's chances of success at whatever backslapping ceremony they needed to win it order to keep the business going.

Its all gone quiet at the top hasn't it? But why waste time waffling about putting a British astronaut into space, when its far easier and quicker to lob an injured squaddie back to Nepal instead?

They should be ashamed of themselves.

BattlerBritain
24th Oct 2007, 08:16
It does beggar-belief doesn't it?

But there again this Government does seem to make its' policies from things which really do not make consistent sense.

It's like they've hit the self-destruct button and not told anybody.

Still, I bet Des Browne would only do something if the Squaddie was Scottish?

Afterall he doesn't seem to be wearing his Defence hat very often does he?

Kitbag
24th Oct 2007, 11:05
It does rather make one wish that the only way you could gain the right to vote or otherwise participate in the governing of the country is to have completed some form of service to the country, not necessarily military, but a period of about 5 years for example where the 'citizen' puts something into the community, and therefore earns the right to vote or claim the nationality.

nunquamparatus
24th Oct 2007, 11:18
What next?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7059170.stm

This sort of tosh is just the type of thing that really pi**es me off. Someone goes to the trouble of serving HM Queen in the armed forces, but fails to meet some white mafia target and gets a swift kick up the arse on the way to the departure gate. This is reminiscent of the Gurkha pension debacle. I've had colleagues, albeit criminal variety (Aussie) - serving members of the RN, stopped at customs for "not having a valid visa". Jeez, do you reckon he got the ID card in a packet of corn flakes. Maybe HM Government could adopt Lockheed Martin's mission statement - "We never forget who we are working for".

chiglet
24th Oct 2007, 11:48
It does rather make one wish that the only way you could gain the right to vote or otherwise participate in the governing of the country is to have completed some form of service to the country, not necessarily military, but a period of about 5 years for example where the 'citizen' puts something into the community, and therefore earns the right to vote
Robert Heinline...Starship Troopers

watp,iktch

snapper41
24th Oct 2007, 11:59
Robert Heinline? Nahhhh - it was Sarah Brightman!

Kitbag
24th Oct 2007, 13:07
Chig thanks, knew it wasn't an original idea but couldn't remember where it came from. Has as much hope of happening as me voting Labour.

Chugalug2
24th Oct 2007, 13:28
"If any cases of service men or women being refused settlement are as a direct result of injury sustained outside operations, we will look at them on a case-by-case basis."

Every time this "government" shoots itself in the foot (sorry poor choice of words in the circumstances) in this way, they need to be very very certain that we will denounce them on 'a case-by-case basis'. Mr Pun VC, L/Cpl Rai, Ashted (ok, they were nimbys) have all triggered an overwhelming response. They may not understand why, but they will understand the electoral cost of decent voters being appalled at such treatment of our old and/or maimed veterans and of bereaved families. My MP, a member of this "government" is clinging on by a mere 27 vote majority. My advice to her and her colleagues is to start looking out for the vulnerable who have served this country so well before it is too late.

modtinbasher
24th Oct 2007, 13:47
So how do we get around that rule when we invite (with open arms) all the assorted dross from the EU, give them benefits, allow them to claim other benefits for family members still living over the English Channel and who have not managed to weedle their way in yet?

There was a case in Parliament today when an MP asked McBroon why the benefit system was riddled with inconsistencies where overseas claimants can receive, and yet her daughter, who lives in the UK, is not found to be eligible.

McBroon said he would 'look into it.'

Oh! that means everything will be OK from now on?

MTB

wokkameister
24th Oct 2007, 15:13
This on a day when they have announced two prisons outfitted for foreigners, as they make up 11000 of the 81000 prison population! Question of priorities for the government again?

WM

PingDit
24th Oct 2007, 15:57
I'm all for supporting our overseas brethren when injured while trying to help our country, and would not see them evicted. However, this specific case seems to suggest that his body couldn't cope with the cold?!?
Perhaps we should have simply suggested to him that this climate would not aid his recovery and assisted his passage back home and not made such a fuss?

As for the prison saga....don't get me started!

Basil
24th Oct 2007, 19:33
He was first injured during basic training - the extreme cold damaged his hands and feet - and, once in his regiment, it got worse.
"I was like in excruciating pain," he recalls. "I can't walk, I can't even hold my weapon."

Is this guy trying it on??

I know a 2nd Lt who has just completed officer training. He suffered a knee injury during his course and was pretty much told to get on with it - so he did. Had surgery after receiving commission - would have been more successful earlier. Now commanding platoon in a foreign land.

ericferret
24th Oct 2007, 22:25
Surely we don't need to quote some crap american movie for a decent example.
How about the French Foreign Legion, does not service with this unit entitle you to French citizenship?

In Tor Wot
25th Oct 2007, 00:21
Try using this:

http://www.writetothem.com/

and let your MP know how utterly immoral this kind of behaviour is towards people that came here to contribute positively to the country.

You never know if enough of us start to clog up their email perhaps they may get the feeling that this type of off-hand bureaucratic :mad: is not acceptable.

Mind you I always was an optimist . . . . . :sad:

shandydrinker
25th Oct 2007, 00:23
Been in the RAAF for 1 year now and I have been an Australian citizen for 6 months.
In fact after 3 months service they require you to apply for and subsequently be accepted for citizenship, it is part of the contract.

GreenKnight121
26th Oct 2007, 03:25
Quote:
Surely we don't need to quote some crap american movie for a decent example.
How about the French Foreign Legion, does not service with this unit entitle you to French citizenship?

The novel Starship Troopers (by Robert A. Heinlein) was published in 1959... and is a far better book than the movie would lead you to believe.

As background (discussed by some of the characters) it covers such topics as the nature of Citizenship, juvenile delinquency, crime & punishment, and other such things... all left out of the movie.

Starship Troopers is a political essay as well as a novel. Large portions of the book take place in classrooms, with Rico and other characters engaged in debates with their History and Moral Philosophy teachers, who are often thought to be speaking in Heinlein's voice. The overall theme of the book is that social responsibility requires individual sacrifice.

Heinlein graduated from the United States Naval Academy in 1928, and served in the United States Navy for six years. He served as a lieutenant aboard the USS Roper between 1933 and 1934, until he was forced to leave the Navy due to pulmonary tuberculosis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starship_Troopers

Kitbag
26th Oct 2007, 07:23
Thank you GK I was indeed thinking of the book, given to me by one of my sons a few years back to read whilst sat in the back of one of HMs finest rattly transports.
As far as the film (and song) is concerned they're cr@p, but the debating points raised in the book should be raised with every school child. Unfortunately the politicos are probably too set in their ways to understand the relationships between 'Rights' and 'Responsibilities', perhaps because (treading on dangerous ground) we are subjects not citizens.