PDA

View Full Version : Best Aviation Job In Canada

Mach75
23rd Oct 2007, 21:05
Anyone care to comment on what they think is the best aviation job in Canada at the moment and why?

Please don't turn this into an Ex-pat vs. Canadian Resident debate like the last time a similar question was asked.
We all know that working over-seas typically offers larger salaries but I'm asking on behalf of the Canadians who can't or won't leave the country.

saudipc-9
24th Oct 2007, 02:26
Go AIR FORCE!! Fly fun airplanes upside down and get paid for it!:p

Thunderbird4
24th Oct 2007, 06:17
A-scale CX Captain, YVR base.

Why? $$$$$$$$ (that's C$) + 17-19 days off a month, 42 days vacation a year. Nuf said.

troff
24th Oct 2007, 06:30
"A!"
Da bess job in haviation his defin-at-ly HOUTSIDE hov Canada! :}
Dat's ha fackt! An' it's because da haviation business in Canada his f:mad:!
...an by dat HI don' mean dat it's dat good in Quebec, neder.
Ow you say, "hits offshore, baby!"
Place like dat "Fragrant 'Arbour" or da "Sanbox", dese days. Dat's da place Hi guess...
t

er340790
24th Oct 2007, 13:41
Troff - your talents deserve a much wider audience! Get all your stuff onto a Podcast a.s.a.p.!:D

Slapshot
24th Oct 2007, 15:26
In Quebec , the French do not pronounce the letter 'H'. For example Hot
Dog is pronounced Ot Dog and

Hudson Hardware is pronounced Udson Ardware.

They also insert an 'H' where there is none, by saying Hany (instead Of
Any)and Hall (instead of All).

This explanation is for non-Canadians.

One day in a French immersion class for 1st graders, the teacher was
asking her class to describe the use of Ozonol.

Little Mary got up and explained that she had fallen while roller
skating and scratched her knee. She went home and her mother cleaned the cut and put a bandage with Ozonol on her knee and it was all better.

The teacher was so proud and then asked other children if they had any
explanation of the word.

Little Pierre raised his hand and started to explain. 'Well Teacher, da
udder nite, me an my fodder are watching da Montreeal and Tampa Ockey
Game. An den my mudder start to do da vaccum. Den, my fodder, yell at
my mudder, ai, ai, ai, ai, Tabarnack Louise, put dat dam ting haway now
or I'll stick it up your harse, .....Ose an all.'

cpdude
24th Oct 2007, 16:48
T-Bird4, you're about 15 years too late to start to make that wish a reality! You have til the end of the year to be hired on "B" scale and as of 2008, it will be on "C" scale pay.

CX is well behind the times but should catch up a little after too late!:}

I can also tell you that with the exception of the first two years...you will make more money at WJ than CX over the span of 12-14 years.:uhoh:

troff
25th Oct 2007, 08:50
"A!"
Tanks for da lesson 'on 'ow Hi shud speak but Hi ham trying to 'elp da anglo guy to understan' me bedder.
Dat's 'ow we 'av it in St. Cecile de la Rubber Boot, hup by Shawinigan, eh?
Enyway, I tink dat da sandox his da place were all da guy oo are fed up wit aving a company go "under", paying too much tax, shovelling snow and drinking dat orrable Tim Orton coffee tink is da bess' place to go, den da "Fragrant 'Arbour" as dey call it, after dat.
A! Ow come no Air Canada prima-donna type 'an WesJet bring-your-lunch-to-work-wit-you type say dat dere job is da "cat's ass" in Canada? Dat hexpression don' make no sense to me but my wife say dat day would no what it mean.
So? Were are day? Me, I don' understan' why dat would be a good place to work. CD flight attandants like your grandmodder ("Dispatch, Air Canada XXX requesting 12 more wheelchairs... for the cabin crew") or 'appy joke ("Hi everyone, my name is Shirley and with us today in the flight deck is my ex-husband Bob and my fiancee Peter... uhhh, it should be an interesting day") an' toilet paper race during delay... sheech!
An dat Joke by da flight attendant, I really erd dat again an again wit my own ear on a 5 leg flight to YVR...
Too bad da day of place like Canadian, Worldways an Nationair 'are gone, even if dat crook Obadia was running da place, it was good time.
Dat was when sex was fun an' motorcycle racing was dangerous. Ow time have change, eh?
T

555orange
25th Oct 2007, 17:52
I love it Troffy!

Tooo funny! Once I saw a resume from a Quebecer written like your post! It was soo funny!

"I can fly dat Dash 8 dere pretty-good...and dont be surprised if I do dat like dat again! "

My take..its not the jobs in Canada that suck...its the Gov't taking half your paycheck that does.

Can anybody write like a pompous white gloved brit at Cathay?

Thunderbird4
25th Oct 2007, 20:42
cpdude,

The question is "What is the best aviation job in Canada?" Not "what job do you want to have?"

And I highly doubt your comparison with WJ.

cpdude
25th Oct 2007, 23:36
cpdude,
The question is "What is the best aviation job in Canada?" Not "what job do you want to have?"
And I highly doubt your comparison with WJ.

WJ Salary (http://airlinepilotcentral.com/airlines/canadian/westjet.html)

I guess I assumed you would be looking at this point in time and not considering a contract which hasn't been offered in over 15 years.

Here are the numbers for a new-hire post Jan 08 (C Scale) at CX VS a new-hire at WJ. I used only salary without share options or profit share and for CX used today's conversion rate into CDN dollars.

Year 1 CX - 49,632/yr, WJ - 40,000/yr,
Year 3 CX - 62,268/yr, WJ - 78,720/yr,
Year 5 CX - 85,272/yr, WJ - 126,720/yr,
Year 10 CX- 107,616/yr, WJ - 153,600/yr,
Year 15 CX- 151,632/yr, WJ - 153,600/yr

This is a realistic comparison with CX time to command being 13 years and WJ at 5 years.

Also, WJ has great tasting kool-aid where CX's is very sour!:bored:

Now, is that "heavy" iron really that important to you?

Thunderbird4
26th Oct 2007, 00:14
cp..

I didn't start the thread. I was only replying to a simple question.

How is it that since yr 6 Canadian base I'm making more than C$140K? Why don't you compare Canadian base $ to your Westjet $ then there is no conversion required.

cpdude
26th Oct 2007, 00:21
Oh no problem TBird...

If we do see a direct entry FO I don't think it will be in Canada. The unified salary as you know doesn't matter if you join Pax or Freighter and currently only USA bases as a F/O are available.

I do concede for those that have a Canadian base on A scale they have a pretty good gig!:ok:

troff
28th Oct 2007, 21:10
A!
Dat $153,600 pay for da 10-15 year Wes' Jet guy... Is dat befor da tax 'hor is dat what 'e is coming 'ome wit? An does dat include da profit share? Wat's line 153 say on da T-4? Da tax man mus' take 35-50% on dat for sure!
An is dere a lunch, like, a per-diem for da food for dem enroute hor is it out of da pocket? One time I 'ad a jump seat wit dem an da guy was nice to share wit me 'is lunch... a big bag of carrot! Tabernac! Dat's awl 'e 'av!
Me, I like da caviar for da app at FL350 an' above...:E
T

DHC6to8
28th Oct 2007, 23:08
I would say that it has to be Borek... flying the hog in all corners of Canada and the world over... flying doesn't get any better than that!
6to8

Chuck Ellsworth
28th Oct 2007, 23:22
The best flying job would be teaching flying in a Piper J3 flying off a grass airfield. :ok:

WJAPilot
29th Oct 2007, 03:54
Tbird....

For the record my third year t4 as a WJ F/O was 102k
Compare that to Cx.

WJAP

Thunderbird4
29th Oct 2007, 05:03
WJAPilot,
You got the wrong guy. I wasn't the one having a p***ing match about who makes more. That was brought up by cpdude. I doubted his numbers and as you and I have both shown he was very incorrect.
The best job in Canada is the one you want or have. It's all a matter of perspective - personally it's about lifestyle. Lots of days off, lots of vacation, living on the west coast, decent $$, all that for just 6 sectors a month.

If you still want to compare, we can, but you ain't gonna like it.

THEICEMAN
29th Oct 2007, 07:51
Eh tabernac! Arret avec le grand "Quebecer speaking henglish crap"! Tu veux moi de commencer avec Ontario esti?

cpdude
29th Oct 2007, 16:09
TBird,

Is every discussion with someone who has a different point of view a "p***ing match" to you?

This only continued because you said "I highly doubt your comparison with WJ".

Also, you exhibit the qualities of selective reading in regard to my numbers.
without share options or profit share

WJApilot has only shown you that I was right! His numbers includes the maximum available when using all of your options available to maximize ones salary.

As for perspective...can't agree more that lifestyle, days off etc have an intrinsic value but we were discussing monetary value.

But hey, thanks for clearing all this up!:}

troff
29th Oct 2007, 16:18
A,
Hiceman, get in line, eh, five-post-rookie-flamer.
I 'av anodder life before Troff an was 'ere for lots of year before you come along...
I 'aven' even start wit dem odder guys... :E
You 'aven seen any hov da odder post?
La bureau principale pour Equipe Rouge dans La Belle Province, n'est-ce pas?
An anodder ting... it's: "Hostie!", hostie...
T

THEICEMAN
29th Oct 2007, 17:01
Eh LA! je m'en criss! Arrete parce que c'est pas drole....:*
tes un Ontario?

troff
29th Oct 2007, 19:24
A!
Sensitive, eh?
Mebbee not for you , flamer Hiceman. :}
Me, I 'ave a good time ere.
You got some skin to tikkin' if you wan' to play 'ere like dis.
Des treads, can be, as an Aussie "mate" say: "Rougher than a badger's backside!" (You got to say dat wit da Aussie hakscent.)
D'ere are bigger fish to fry. H'in da meantime, you took da bait.
C'est la vie.
A la prochaine, rookie... A'n I'm a long way from H'ontario...
T
:E
Go Habs...

THEICEMAN
30th Oct 2007, 03:15
The bait? Man get a life!

troff
30th Oct 2007, 04:49
A!
Oui, da bait.

It called a "wind up" 'ere at PPRuNe, and boy, you swallow da 'ook! :}

Now I av' enough of your pouting so off you go probationary type-guy.

An' stop acting like you all hoffended 'ere. I get you a tissue... :{

I make fun hov my own, too, eh? Dat's da mos' fun.

An' don' worry... I 'av a good life! Tabernac, do Hi ever 'ave a great one!

Everyday is Christmas for me, buddy. :cool:

xo
T

So, back to business...

Is it agreed dat da bes' flying job in Canada is not in Canada at all?

Rosbif
30th Oct 2007, 18:56
:D Good work Troff.

THEICEMAN
31st Oct 2007, 03:35
It's Tabarnac....come to Quebec some day. Tu va avoir un check en esti!

cpdude
31st Oct 2007, 03:53
This is boring!:bored:

troff
31st Oct 2007, 06:51
Too bad for you, cpdude. Den say somptin regardin da tred, eh?
I don' work to hentertain you. Phhttt!
Mebbee, check out www.mattel.com (http://www.mattel.com) and see what's new in da Barbie section or sumptin' like dat if you are bored wit dis?

Maybe I will make you my next project?:}

Hiceman, you are a funny guy. I live an' work dans La Ville du Quebec for hawhile before, an it's nice. Tank you henyway, now get hoff da tread. Go bodder somebody helse, eh, probationary-pilot-type guy?

I still tink da bess job in Canada is no longer in Canada!

Dat's because of awl da grief dat AC give to TC if dey are feeling treatened by any odder operator. It only because of "brute force and ignorance" dat WJ get were dey har.
Treat der employee wit what dey believe har kid glove, an reward dem wit cash hinsentive. All smiley like dey take a 'appy pill at da crew room! To dem it mean a better life because dey equate money in da pocket to better lifestyle. Dat not necessairily true, it beats poverty, ie: Jetsgo when operating, but WJ is not da place if money is not your hinsentive. It's an Old-Boy club, a western/national mutual admiration society henyway, an I tell you before habout dat.
AC want to take over da worl' but dey look pretty crappy on da ramp in place like Sydney (Austra-alia), Sao Paulo, London, etc., anywhere but YYZ
Ya dey got a million hairplane an dey are uge, (dey claim) but most of dem are little bug smasher.
It never da same since Canadian go down an dey try to merge da seniority list. No one like going to work dere since 1969.
Dey will never get a hed on da global stage because of da Government, which, by the way, Milton tink, 'e run, and because of the bureaucracy associated wit it. Cost/ benifit analysis for da most schtuuupid tings dat are easy to see mus' be change. But Noooo.... Beancounters must insure dat dey remain employ and bleed the life out of the hoperation till dey har ready for da pasture demself, den day don' care henyway.
I guess da Borek ting is OK but can be dark an lonly some Arctic three-dog night, an you wear beer-goggle on da way 'ome from da Legion, you can get into some trouble wit some tire-biter in mukluk dat look like a beauty den, under da street-light, eh? Dat's Coyote love!
Henyway.... See da worl at 135 knot! But dat would be fun too.
'Armony was good for da pepole in La La land and dat was OK, den like all good ting, it was gone too.
Maybe work for Deluce or Pepalardo? Dat like 'aving someone open up a can of "whoop-ass" on you in an hairplane. Daily. F:mad:k dat!

I GTG.
T

Chuck Ellsworth
31st Oct 2007, 13:53
AAhhh, yes the Deluce family, a true icon of Canadian aviation.

Funny isn't it when one has a good old boy club in charge in Ottawa how the general culture in the industry has a funny smell?

If you want to work in a third world country come to Canada.

pigboat
31st Oct 2007, 14:45
Funny isn't it when one has a good old boy club in charge in Ottawa how the general culture in the industry has a funny smell?

I won't ask if anybody has heard of Max Ward, only if they have read his autobiography. If so, what is the title of the first chapter? :E

J.O.
31st Oct 2007, 18:41
what is the title of the first chapter?

Answer is; "There are times when I wish I had been born an American".

Definitely the most longwinded chapter title I've ever seen. I'd hazard a guess that Max would have received a similarly cold reception in the airline industry in the USA back when he was trying to break through the old boys network here in Canada. Protectionism was long and strong in the USA as well until deregulation.

Besides, I have a pretty hard time feeling sorry for Max. His luck far outweighed his skill on many an occasion, and his retirement package was pretty sweet considering he was at the helm of a very leaky ship at the time.

pigboat
1st Nov 2007, 01:44
I thought he explained pretty well why he titled the chapter the way he did. His efforts to set up his company may very well have had the same results in the US as they did here. In his opinion he would have fared better, however. I applaud him for being able to go as far as he did in spite of being shafted at every turn by petty politicians. I'm surprised he didn't title a chapter Bend Over, Here It Comes Again. :p

I agree his bag of luck took a few hits. I would imagine he wasn't alone in that regard in the NWT in the 50's and 60's. As far as his 'golden parachute' was concerned, I believe the right to sell your enterprise to the highest bidder is implicit in the right of ownership. Eaton obviously thought the price was right.

pitotman
2nd Nov 2007, 04:44
YVR 777 skipper at ac and holding a block... under 10 days a month......200+ a year and ya don't have to watch 49 of your colleagues get fired, put up with the cx training and ya don't have to stay in hkg longer than a hangover lasts.............2 months of vacation and 3 sectors a month ...

just my 2 cents....

As much as we all love to hate AC this is by far the best job in Canada......

4-Daned
2nd Nov 2007, 04:55
Awesome! That will be great for the last two years of your career...You can enjoy this job when you're 63.

pitotman
2nd Nov 2007, 05:07
Thats under the old demographics....alot of guys in the future will hold that position for up to 10 years...

I just answered the question that was put out there..........

I actually want to change my answer.........777 RP on reserve yvr.........you will work once every 3 months.....make a huny in the process and you can ski 50 days a year at whistler, surf tofino till ya collapse, and all in the worlds most beautiful city........

Boooyaka

cpdude
2nd Nov 2007, 06:35
YVR 777 skipper at ac and holding a block... under 10 days a month......200+ a year and ya don't have to watch 49 of your colleagues get fired, put up with the cx training and ya don't have to stay in hkg longer than a hangover lasts.............2 months of vacation and 3 sectors a month ...

They don't stay in HKG long enough to recover from a hangover!:}

What's with 3 sectors? Do they have to stay in HKG until their next months roster?:}

Just kidding...good work if you can get it!

sec 3
2nd Nov 2007, 07:16
$200plus/year. Don't forget the 50% tax!!:E

Mach75
2nd Nov 2007, 08:20
A lot of new AC guys might be able to hold 777 captain for 10 years before retirement but I doubt it will be on a YVR base. I could be wrong but this is what I've been told.

pitotman
2nd Nov 2007, 09:36
Mach75,

We had a program a few years ago that has gone by the way side as the site was shut down. It took your age, seniority and the known retirements and gave you a career expectation...I personally know of atleast 10 guys all younger than I am and all 200 numbers senior to me who will enjoy YVR commands for atleast the last 15 years or so if they choose. In yyz it would be alot longer than that...............I am 34 with 6 years in.........I believe the youngest hired around 00' or 99 was 24 and he had 4 years on me at the time.......and I thought I was lucky! I can honestly say one of the best parts of the job at AC is the ability to work either domestic or int'l and sit senior on a peice of equipment...

I guess the best job in Canada is the one that makes you happy...........

(God that was deep)
:D

Mach75
2nd Nov 2007, 14:39
Sorry, I thought you were referring to the newly hired guys (since this last hiring boom). It's my impression that those guys won't likely see a senior position on a widebody in YVR until very late in their career. Again, this is only what I've heard - you would have a better idea than I would on that subject.

Airline Pirate
3rd Nov 2007, 17:28
Slapshot, Troff is talking reserve-native, not french!

troff
8th Nov 2007, 05:20
A!
Troff is from Ste. Cecile de la Rubber Boot, nord of Shawinigan, QC, Canada. tank you...
T