PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft order ?

DONTTELLTHEPAX
23rd Oct 2007, 17:43
Anyone know which airline this could be ?

Bombardier Aerospace announced today that it has received a signed firm order for 10 Bombardier Q400 high-speed turboprop airliners. The transaction also includes options on 10 additional Q400 airliners. The European airline which placed the order will become a new operator of the Q400 airliner, and has requested to remain unidentified at this time.

11Fan
23rd Oct 2007, 19:53
According to the Toronto Star, it's Qantas.

Here's the story.

http://www.thestar.com/article/269311

DONTTELLTHEPAX
23rd Oct 2007, 20:05
Last time I looked Qantas was not a European Airline :confused:

Inverted81
23rd Oct 2007, 20:57
I've heard rumours bmi regional were looking to buy......
cant get hold of enough E145's for their expansion. Had a demonstrator at EMA last year i believe....
Also i understand they were looking to tender for a North sea contract.... using the q400 :cool:

11Fan
23rd Oct 2007, 22:31
Right. Didn't see that.

I just happened to stumble across that story in the Star 5 minutes prior to seeing your post and skipped over the European part.

big.al
24th Oct 2007, 10:25
After recent incidents will they be ordering a fixed gear version...:)
(OK, sorry, off to get my coat)...

Cyrano
24th Oct 2007, 18:56
I'm led to believe (by a reliable source) that it's a German carrier. That's all I know...
C.

PS word on the street now is that it's Air Berlin, to replace Fokker 100s.

Mungo Man
26th Oct 2007, 16:57
Any more definite news on this order anyone?

perkin
26th Oct 2007, 17:40
PS word on the street now is that it's Air Berlin, to replace Fokker 100s

If that is the case, will it lead to KLM snapping up the F100's, or are the Air Berlin airframes life expired?

f8peter
27th Oct 2007, 02:45
No, KLM will not be taking those F100's.

KLM Cityhopper will replace their oldest F100's with 10 Embrear E-190's starting from nov '08 and 5 F70's from Air France regional (delivery unknown at this time).

And as far as being life expired, also a no has to be answered. F70/F100's are certified (if I remember correctly) for 90000 hours/cycles.

Looking at the average in the KLC F100 fleet (about 20000-25000 hours/cycles) they have plenty of structural life left but economically they are used up, age, reliability and spare parts supply come to mind. If you look at the age of some KLC birds you can understand why.

For example PH-OFA is msn 11246 (first flight 24-03-89), the first prototype (which is still flying by the way) PH-MKH is msn 11242.
As you can see OFA is almost 20 years old now and with most airlines that spells the end of the line for that plane.

Regards,

F8peter

Avman
27th Oct 2007, 09:58
I think the German connection is right, but not Air Berlin. Could well be Cirrus Airlines who also operate as LH Regional

bjones4
27th Oct 2007, 11:48
Skyline-Aviation states these are for orders by Air Berlin for use by Germania as a Fokker replacement.

perkin
27th Oct 2007, 13:25
5 F70's from Air France regional (delivery unknown at this time)

I knew they were adding to the Fokker jet fleet, but I didn't know they were coming from AF...thanks for the insight though. It'll almost be a shame to see the demise of the Fokkers as they are very nice planes to fly in, although somewhat dubious in icing conditions by all accounts. I understand KL have considerable difficulties with reliability of some of these aircraft now. I might be more inclined to use KL/KLc when the E-Jets come along... :)

edit - apologies for thread drift...

Benix
29th Oct 2007, 01:05
lots of crews and engineers within bmi regional adamantly believe its them that are destined to receive said aircraft after the group CEO has been singing its praises in the last few months to staff. Obviously just looking at the accounting books then and not its recent history :hmm: So the rumour goes they would keep most of the EMB and just send back the 3 or 4 leased ones and operate a mixed fleet. Think we can safely say that if its true he will have to do a rather large recruiting spree following its introduction as some will ineviteably abandon ship :rolleyes:

perkin
29th Oct 2007, 09:50
Well, one things for sure, it certainly isnt SAS!! :ok:

Richard Taylor
16th Nov 2007, 07:05
Anymore on this gents?

Has the airline still asked for anonymity, as I've not seen anything definite confirming who in Europe has ordered them.

Is it still thought to be German (Cirrus or Air Berlin) or is it indeed bmi R.

Maybe they are having to convince their staff before revealing who they are!