PDA

View Full Version : how much maths and physics do you need for ATPL?

kpd
23rd Oct 2007, 00:24
Clearly maths and physics make up a large part of the initial assesments of many schools.In reality how much maths and physics have people done and passed ATPL?? Is it GCSE standard as claimed or more like A-level?? If maths and physics is not your most loved subjects in school will you struggle or do you simply learn what you have to?? Many Thanks

Captain_djaffar
23rd Oct 2007, 02:32
try this thread..particularly this post.http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?p=3175179&highlight=mauritius#post3175179

though it doesnt elaborate on the maths and physics specifications but mainly on the importance of the two subjects...it can help you somehow...

as far as i know concercing maths it relates to basic trigonometries...which u've been up to at gcse level.
no differention:yuk: or integration:yuk: i guess....:)

A and C
23rd Oct 2007, 08:30
Having been to a school that was a dumping ground for the factory trash (as the deputy head said) I left school with next to no qualications in anything except engineering and tech drawing.

Nothing stopped me going along the modular route to the ATPL and eventualy to a Jet command, I suspect determination rather than accademic qualifications are required.

However having seen the antics of a number of training providors when helping new (F)ATPL,s get jobs I can only conclude that the size of daddys cheque book has more to do with job placement that flying ability.

These entry exams are a smoke screen for the airline personel departments who are as stupid as ever when it comes to pilot recrutment and can be fobbed off with the feeling that they are getting a "select" band of new pilots when the truth is the only real course entry requirment is to have the finance in place.

On a personal note I far prever flying with people who have done the modular course, they are by and large much better real world pilots.

t.ogden
23rd Oct 2007, 17:05
a basic knowledge of trig and the properties of gyroscopes are quite usefull for atpls.

also maybe a lil on newtons laws.

hungryLinehunter
24th Oct 2007, 11:18
mechanic maths
f=ma
f(cos @)=ma
gravity
trigonometry
try to develop a quick calculation technique in your head for simple arithmetics,percentages etc...(this one not extremely important...bt will definitely help you)

kpd
24th Oct 2007, 21:08
Many Thanks to all for above help. It does seem such a shame that you have to get past such a lot in "screening"

Tiger_ Moth
25th Oct 2007, 12:43
I only had GCSEs in those subjects and had been out of school for 7 years and I found that it was no problem, you just learn what you need. I wouldn't worry about it.