PDA

View Full Version : Can someone give me a bit of background about wireless?

vancouv
21st Oct 2007, 14:49
I'm fairly computer literate, but no expert on PC's, so something that doesn't treat me as a complete moron or as a geek would be appreciated!!

I'm just trying to get a bit of background about how things connect on my wireless internet so I can understand what might be required if I have problems.

I currently have a Wanadoo (now Orange) livebox. When this arrived, I followed the instructions in the pretty book to the letter and all worked OK, such as putting in the WEP (which was printed on the livebox itself) and my ISP signon details. There was also some software that used to run which seemed to manage the connection, and has a status bar that was green if it was OK, and red if the connection had dropped out. While this software was running, Windows would not let me do anything with the connection as it said it is managed by third party software.

Following some problems with the connection, and a very frustrating call to Orange's help line, I ended up with the connection being established through Windows and this third party software no longer runs - I'm not exactly sure why, but everything works fine at the moment.

My question is really about replacing the hardware. If I were to buy a new wireless router with a broadband modem and plugged it in, what do I need to do to connect it? Presumably Windows would see this new network, and I could connect to it, and it would then expect a WEP key? Where does that come from, is it supplied with the router?

And having connected, how do I tell the router what my broadband signon details are? Is there an admin function that I can use to do that?

Background Noise
21st Oct 2007, 14:58
Your new router will have a disc with it with an install program - or you can do it manually if you know what to do. You have to tell the router your internet log-on details - it connects to the dsl connection. The software will guide you through the connection from your PC to the router (usually by network cable and probably supplied with the router) and it will give you the choice of WEP/WPA security and allow you to assign a key/passcode. Yes there is an admin mode to contact the router from your PC.

Saab Dastard
21st Oct 2007, 16:01
Difficult to give an adequate response to a general question.

There are some useful threads in the FAQ sticky on this forum.

You can also search this forum for "wifi" and "Wireless".

Also lots of information on t'internet.

If you then have a specific problem, by all means come back and ask!

SD

seanbean
21st Oct 2007, 23:32
WEP does NOT give you any reliable security these days. Use WPA or WPA-2. Read more here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7052223.stm

Devlin Carnet
22nd Oct 2007, 08:05
Generally, you dont need any third party software at all to connect to a wireless router.
Its usually all gumph anyway,
just power the router, open explorer or firefox or whatever, type the IP address of the router,(usually 192.168.1.1, it will come with the router instructions)
Then the router/modem password and username, (usually Admin, and Admin, again, will come in the router instructions)
Then when access to the router settings is gained, you just need to enter your ISP username and password and away you go.
As long as you have got a wireless card in your pc it should see it and connect.

When you have access to the router settings there is a place where you can set up your WEP access code, usually under the security tab.

If the router has been factory shipped with this it will again, come with the router instructions. Otherwise you can set up your own here. (usually a ten digit code for the lowest protection.)
you then need to enter this code into your wireless connection on your PC.

There it is in a nutshell.

vancouv
22nd Oct 2007, 12:00
Thanks for all the replies chaps. Devlin - your description sounds like how I imagined things were. I don't like programs running that I don't need, so connecting directly sounds like what I would want.

I have a further question about the SSID - I've read lots of stuff about turning it off so your router doesn't show up, which I can understand. But how does all this hang together? If the router is not broadcasting its SSID, what is your PC using to connect to it? And can you connect another PC to it while it is off, as presumably that PC is going to say it can't 'see' it?

Saab Dastard
22nd Oct 2007, 15:23
If the SSID is not being broadcast, you have to manually enter the network name into the WIFI configuration on your PCs.

They then know to connect to that network.

It has no bearing on the actual communication mechanism between client and WAP.

SD

HuntandFish
26th Oct 2007, 12:46
WhY swap the Live Box out?

helimutt
26th Oct 2007, 19:35
I have Livebox too. Orange software never loaded correctly, even when tried with two different pc's and a replacement disc, so I binned the CD and just went with windows etc.
Only prob I have is that I can log in wirelessly with my laptop, home pc works fine, but my Ipaq will not connect at all for some reason.

Don't you just love computers.

ZH875
26th Oct 2007, 19:54
It is likely that the IPAQ has WEP only, and if your router is set to WPA, the IPAQ will not connect.

I have left my system on WEP just for the convenience of using my IPAQ.

helimutt
26th Oct 2007, 20:46
my ipaq has the option of switching to wpa/psk or whatever but it just wont play. Given up on it and use laptops now. I do have to say the router/modem, placed on 3rd floor, is very good. It gives great coverage in this house. 3 stories and covers the shed and integral garage, with full strength.

motherbird
28th Oct 2007, 15:56
Forget wireless.

My house had thick walls and it was a total pain to try to set up. I now use a BT wired broadband router and a dlan homeplug AV plug. These adapters can be moved about (plugged in anywhere in the house with a power supply) and then are connected back up to a laptop. You can buy any number of adaptors and so several laptops and computers can use internet at once. They will even work in a barn/shed provided you have a power supply. They are a bit pricey but easy to use and safe.

http://www.devolo.co.uk/uk_EN/produkte/dLAN/dlan200avsk.html