PDA

View Full Version : First job

LEEKYTAFF
20th Oct 2007, 16:55
Hi,

I'm British and I'm going to train for the CPL(H) in the States very soon. Can anybody recommend a good school in California ? I was also wondering whereabouts after the training I've got the best chances to get my first job presumably as an instructor ? I am very happy to work almost anywhere, but I would prefer to work elsewhere than the UK. Being British, does anybody know if companies in the US would sponsor a newly trained pilot ? Can anybody recommend some countries where it would be easy to get work without worrying about visas ? Thanks.

Bravo73
20th Oct 2007, 17:34
So you want to be a Helicopter Pilot? (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=253856)

LEEKYTAFF
20th Oct 2007, 18:06
as you're aware Welsh people are handicapped to start with... The Celtic cross is very heavy. But I hope I can adopt some camouflage of some kind and get through this. Hopefully, some hillbillies can get started somewhere, somehow.

Flying Lawyer
20th Oct 2007, 20:16
What an extraordinary thing to say. :rolleyes:

Interesting that you'd like to train in the US. Americans are famously and openly proud of their country. Hope some of that ethos rubs off on you while you're there.

Tudor Wyn Owen
(100% undiluted Welsh, and proud of it.)

PS
Being a lawyer is, of course, a burden to carry in life. ;)

darrenphughes
20th Oct 2007, 21:11
I'm an Irish guy who trained in California, I started my training last November and got my CFI and CFII about 2 months ago. My school - Mazzei Flying Service in Fresno, California, like alot of the 141 schools offer M1 visas for training but if I were to do it again I would go to a school that can provide you with a 2 year J visa which will entitle you to work for them as an instructor for the remainder of your stay once qualified. This will alow you to build close to 1000 hours during your time in the US which will then make it easier to find work in the UK or Europe upon converting to JAA.

Check out the Bristow Academy in Florida, that school used to be Helicopter Adventures and they also have another school up in Concord, California. Bristow also operate commercially pretty much worldwide and it would probably be pretty easy to make some good contacts for work in the UK while studying/working there.

Hope that helps.
Darren.

manfromuncle
20th Oct 2007, 22:54
Does anyone actually train in the UK anymore?

tu154
21st Oct 2007, 06:01
Yes, me. CPL and FI. And very happy with it I was too. The FI course was fairly busy, one started just after ours finished. The CPL course was less subscribed.

Senior Pilot
21st Oct 2007, 08:01
Leekytaff,

As indicated, you will find answers to your questions on existing threads, starting with this one. (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=253856)

Rather than merge this thread with others, it is now locked.

Senior Pilot