PDA

View Full Version : Timeout Error Ox800ccc19

willby
20th Oct 2007, 16:46
Hi,
I am currently using Vista Home and "windows mail" to download my email. Windows Mail is Vista's version of OE which I used previously.
However, I now frequently get the error message detailed above and cannot connect to my mail server. I can connect to the server if I use a web browser and then go to my mail provider's website. I read on microsoft support that this problem has been known to occur using Norton or Mcafee mail virus scanners.
I use neither of these and instead use Avast. I have paused the mail scan in Avast but this does not solve the problem.The problem is not present permanently and will work ok some days but appears to be cropping up more frequently recently. Any information or advice will be most welcome and appreciated.
Willby

Spitoon
20th Oct 2007, 21:56
I've had a smilar experience with Norton. Switching off Norton didn't solve the problem - once removed (i.e. completely removed using a tool from Norton and not just uninstalled) problem went away never to be seen again.

As an aside, Norton support were adamant that it was a M$ problem!

Don't know whether there are any parallels with Avast but I offer my experience in case it helps you pin down a solution.

cdtaylor_nats
21st Oct 2007, 06:08
1. This is a possible corruption of the pop3uidl file. Close your internet connection and all programs. Search for the file pop3uidl and delete it (you may have to search hidden files). Reconnect and it should work.
2. Repeat step 1 with a reboot before you check your mail again.
3. You may have a corrupt or a very large file attachment on the mailserver. Large file attachments, mail that are missing headers, or mail that do not conform to the mail RFC's can cause this.

willby
21st Oct 2007, 22:02
Hi
Thanks for the replies. Tried searching for the popuidl3 file but don't seem to have it.
Spitoon. Since you got rid of Norton are you now running without any virus checker?
Rgds
Willby