PDA

View Full Version : agricultural/cropdusting

17thhour
19th Oct 2007, 21:13
Hi. I've been trawling the fourms for a while now soaking up the knowledge and have decided to break silence...

Im interested in flying for a living once my degree is out of the way, currently im doing my PPL and am thinking of doing an aerobatic course and of course the CPL after.

It is not the airlines I am looking to fly for primarily(although i would take it if i had the chance for sure) but instead agricultural flying/cropdusting, whichever term you prefer for it:).

I have done a search and turned up a few things but mainly closed threads with not allot of information. (Plus some amazing videos on youtube.) What is the best way of getting into this? Or is it mainly a closed section for those freelancing with their own adapted aircraft?
Cheers

A Very Civil Pilot
20th Oct 2007, 07:47
It won't happen in the UK. The Food and Environment Protection Act essentially put paid to that.

The work is generally in the US (where you will need to get a work permit), Africa, Aus and NZ (permits again for the last 2)

When I looked into it in Aus/NZ about 10 years ago, the general route in is as a loader driver for a few years; after which you might be allowed to do a few ferries, and eventually some of the easier aplocation work (i.e top dressing from 50')

Bear in mind you will be working for an agricultural contractor who flies planes. Assess how easy it would be for you to get a job as a combine harvester driver if you are not from an agricultural background. If you're from a different background it would be unlikely you'll get a job - the same will apply as an ag pilot - are you there for the agriculture, or the flying?

Try looking at Agair Update (www.agairupdate.com) a US based site.

Airgus
20th Oct 2007, 16:15
There are plenty of jobs as cropduster there...
I do not think a work permit will be needed but at least a licence convertion. You should speak their language and you should spend few months visiting and getting known by the owners.
Pay is good... average 1 usd per hectare flown (estimate 25k-35k usd per season).
Be ready to work from sun (rise) to sun (set) with a 3 hour break at lunch... and be ready to enjoy the gaucho's way of life... :E

This must be your vocation otherwise it will be too hard to follow it... at least there...

Good Luck

AirGus...

17thhour
20th Oct 2007, 18:04
cheers, i'd love to get outta the UK and do it one day, just trying to get a grasp of the basics beforehand:O

this video though must convert almost anyone with a love for aviation into wanting to do it?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65KLN5gDHzI