PDA

View Full Version : UK based ISP

radeng
19th Oct 2007, 13:55
So Orange have just informed me that they are finishing the current dial up service and moving me to Broadband. And reducing the charges by £3 a month. What they didn't tell me, and it took some doing to get the information out of them, is that they will charge between 3 and 6p a minute to connect, while the current service at £15 a month is a free 0808 number.
Anyone got any advice on an ISP who will provide free access through an 0800 type number?

oldbeefer
19th Oct 2007, 14:11
'while the current service at £15 a month is a free 0808 number'

don't quite understand - are you saying you are paying 15 quid a month for dial-up? I pay less than that for 24/7 broadband.

frostbite
19th Oct 2007, 14:28
I have been with Madasafish for several years but just recently left them because the service was becoming very unreliable and/or slow.

Changed to Fast4net which appears to use the same equipment or possibly equipment that Maaf have thrown out, but they are much cheaper.

So there's two to avoid! Suspect it's deliberate to get everyone to move to broadband?

radeng
19th Oct 2007, 15:09
yes, it's £15 a month dial up, with a free access number. They're offering me about £11.50 a month broadband with a charge of between 3 and 6p a minute on top. So who are you using, oldbeefer?

Whirlygig
19th Oct 2007, 16:01
I don't follow; Broadband is connected all the time so the amount you pay is based on a fixed rate per month with download limits in Mb, not time. Are you still thinking of using dial-up?

There are plenty of broadband providers who just charge a fixed fee. Iuse btinternet but am thinking of switching my whole deal to vodafone.

I still have an old dial-up account with Which.net who charge £4.95 a month with access to their online reports (like subscribing to the magazine) but you pay for the call. However, at evenings and weekends, that still cheaper than 3-6p a minute.

Cheers

Whirls

Saab Dastard
19th Oct 2007, 16:42
radeng,

I really think you have the wrong end of the stick here! The Orange website shows the only dial-up service as PAYG,
only pay for what you use

* 2p a minute all weekend (Friday 6pm – Monday 6am)
* 4p a minute weekday evenings (6pm – 6am)
* 5p a minute weekday daytime (6am – 6pm)

Perhaps they are misunderstanding your question, and telling you that IN ADDITION to broadband for £11.50/m, you can have dial-up access at a PAYG rate?

Or perhaps you are confusing phone call charges in the phone & broadband package they are offering with dial-up charges?

Otherwise you (or they) are not making sense!

I suggest you visit the Orange website to get a better understanding of their products, services and charges.

And then compare to others!

If you are in a cable area then you have another alternative.

Of course if you are many miles from a BT exchange and cannot get DSL, then perhaps you are over a barrel!

SD

radeng
21st Oct 2007, 10:18
I rather suspect that the woman I talked to (who didn't seem that bright) misunderstood the question. But there are, I'm told cheaper ISPs.

Thanks for the helpful comments

P.Pilcher
21st Oct 2007, 11:17
Out of interest, I just checked my own ISP's website (www.plus.com (http://www.plus.com)) I am on broadband with them and have never had a problem, but note that they provide a comprehensive range of dial-up services as well from £4.99/month or 1p per minute PAYG. Doubtless there are other ISP's out there who provide a service which is just as good.

P.P.

HuntandFish
23rd Oct 2007, 08:43
Hi
I have just got an Orange Live Box cost is £24 pm but this is eqivalent to £14 pm as you dont pay BT line rental .
Lots of benefits Wireles router , cheap/free phone calls an additional IP Phone number .
Up to 8m but I get nowhere near that .

effortless
23rd Oct 2007, 08:53
Orange are currently offering;_Orange Broadband - Home Starter Up To 2Mbps 6GB FREE £12.00
The orange site (http://www.broadband-finder.co.uk/broadband-directory/orange-broadband/#provider)

Think you have it confused

airborne_artist
23rd Oct 2007, 10:03
Suggest you have a tootle on http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ to find the best solution for your needs.

If you really only want dialup, then http://www.clara.co.uk/home-office/internet-access/freetime-unlimited.html may fit.

Can't think why anyone would want dial-up, though.