PDA

View Full Version : Service Complaints Commissioner 3 day week £60,000 a year

TheStrawMan
19th Oct 2007, 12:35
Heres a job for the boys

http://www.seniormodopportunities.co.uk/complaints/commissioner.asp

Service Complaints Commissioner
As Service Complaints Commissioner, you will be able to receive complaints directly from service personnel, their families or third parties concerning:

Unlawful discrimination
Harassment
Bullying
Dishonesty or other improper, unprofessional or biased behaviour.You will then refer the allegation into the chain of command for action, reserving the right to be kept informed of progress in the handling of the complaint and notified of the outcome.
You will not have the statutory power to intervene in the handling of a complaint or the investigation of or response to a complaint. This responsibility remains with the chain of command.

Easy life just pass it down the chain

22/7 Master
19th Oct 2007, 12:55
I am happy to take this on in addition to my normal daily work.

And I will do it for only an extra £55k.

Chugalug2
19th Oct 2007, 12:57
It is a senior high-profile role, independent of the Armed Forces and reporting annually to the Secretary of State for Defence and to Parliament on the fairness and effectiveness of the complaints procedure.

So an ombudsman for the Armed Forces who is answerable to the SoS! That'll work, NOT! Anyway too little, too late, I'm afraid:

The closing date for applications is 25th June 2007.

tacr2man
19th Oct 2007, 12:58
Seems like a job for a recently retired vociferous commander any names spring to mind ?

johnny99
19th Oct 2007, 21:44
Ok, so here's the first complaint. Why, given the parlous state we now find ourselves in 2007 (manning, terms and condition, JPA, housing, political correctness, support to veterans, etc, etc, etc) are the Muppets in the MoD, who have consistently mismanaged the game over the last 10 years, allowed to continue so doing with impunity. And in case there is any doubt this includes wasting money, time and effort on such an asinine post as Complaints Commissioner.

No doubt there will be targets for complaints – watch out for the annual trawl alongside nominations for hons and awards.

tucumseh
19th Oct 2007, 21:52
Wot, these things are offences in the Services???? According to the last four Ministers of State for the Armed Forces, they are most certainly NOT in the Civil Service. And they placed it in writing.

Kitbag
20th Oct 2007, 09:01
Any idea which high profile person, with large organisation experience applied for this non-job.
Seems to me to be more suited to a filing clerk. No statutory powers, only the right to refer the complaint into the CoC, no independent review of the outcome, just the opportunity to produce a graph once a year for the sheep in Parliament.
Wouldn't this require an amendment to the various Acts and/or QRs to allow the passing ofinformation to an outsider? (the successful applicant is neither serving Forces nor CS, therefore cannot be part of MoD)
Did anybody apply and get the job or was the advert a cynical waste of money?
Reading further into the Info pack, Parliamentary recommendations regarding review have been ignored re the Review of individual complaints so another bit of smoke and mirrors?
If an appointment has been made why has it not been publicised or is the decision making process in the MoD so totally moribund that the consultants carrying out the sift and initial interviews have no idea what is actually required of them?
Does anybody really care or are members of the services now so cynical that they don't trust anyone except their immediate mates, and especially anyone further up the chain?

tucumseh
20th Oct 2007, 10:07
kitbag

Agree entirely. What is the point of the post at all? The Ministerial rulings I referred to apply to the old MoD(PE), DPA, DLO; and have been upheld under the new DE&S. All these organisations contained a significant number of Service personnel. In practice, the only real difference in the rules governing Servicemen and Civilians is that, if a civvy wants to complain about a Serviceman he cannot do it through the CS, but must complain to a Service 1* (Brigadier). But a Serviceman can complain direct to the civvy's line manager, regardless of rank/grade. Drill down, and the rulings also state, quite categorically, that the "accused", if a civvy, can sit in judgement of his own case - so he's unlikely to rule against himself on appeal. This defies natural justice, but who ever said that held sway in the MoD.

The rules this postholder must work to are so confusing and bizarre they will make his job impossible. You're right - a filing clerk and a shredder.

Interesting article in the Mail today on Dr David Kelly.

Training Risky
20th Oct 2007, 23:17
This must be a spoof post!!?

Has anyone out there actually taken up this 'job' for 100K for a few days work!

Someone post his/her details here so we can lynch them!!

TheInquisitor
21st Oct 2007, 03:26
Unlawful discrimination
Harassment
Bullying
Dishonesty or other improper, unprofessional or biased behaviour.

I note that JPA didn't make that list.
Or kit shortages.
Or erosion of terms.
Or mind-numbing PC/EO/Fitness Targets/Trivia/<insert annoyance-du-jour>

So, nothing that REALLY bugs us service folk at the moment will be dealt with. A complete waste of taxpayers' money.

tucumseh
21st Oct 2007, 08:38
Inquisitor

The last one (dishonesty...........) is one of the main causes of not having proper (or the correct quantity, or safe/airworthy) kit and can be directly linked to avoidable fatalities in theatre.

But, as I said, rendered academic by the rulings that none of these constitutes wrongdoing, and so any complaint would be rejected anyway.

kokpit
21st Oct 2007, 08:54
Has anyone out there actually taken up this 'job' for 100K for a few days work!

Read the small print ;)

"The fees for this post will be based upon a full time equivalent salary of £100,000. This will be paid on a pro rata basis and the initial work load is likely to require 2 to 3 days work per week."

Guessing approx 40k for a 'full' 3 days per week.

Wensleydale
21st Oct 2007, 20:23
60K for 3 days per week. Not as good as PA Spine pay then... :sad: