PDA

View Full Version : e-ticket passenger's first name

newswatcher
19th Oct 2007, 11:15
My wife and I are travelling to USA tomorrow with British Airways. When completing check-in through the internet, I noticed that my wife's name on the booking used only her initial and not full first name, the surname was correctly specified.
The full name is given on API. Could this prevent her travelling?
And yes, I have telephoned BA, over two hours ago and am still awaiting their reply! :hmm:

lexxity
19th Oct 2007, 13:05
That's not a problem, it's quite a common occurance and I have never seen a passenger be refused travel over it. Have a good trip.:ok::ok:

tezzer
19th Oct 2007, 13:06
Had a similar thing this summer with KLM/AF reward ticket. my ticket was surname/first name, i.e. normal, whereas my wifes ticket was first name / surname.

Didn't cause a problem, even flying to the States.

newswatcher
19th Oct 2007, 13:43
Thanks guys, that's a relief!:)

No "official" response from BA yet.:ugh:

perkin
19th Oct 2007, 18:27
I#ve suceesfully travelled on an e-ticket when I made a typo when booking and mis-spelt my first name, no-one even noticed...so much for passport/security checks! :rolleyes:

ATNotts
20th Oct 2007, 11:44
About 18 months ago I flew, with a colleague, from AMS to LHR. We had inadvertently swapped tickets / boarding cards but neither of us was identified at the gate as having got passport and ticket with totally different names?

Make you wonder if all this "security" mullarky is really worth the hassle. I suppose of one of "Bin Bombing's" desciples is reading this then perhaps it will only serve to encourage them to try it on.

The message therefore to the security and identity checkers is "do you job properly" for the good of all of us punters.

PAXboy
20th Oct 2007, 18:03
My nephew was part of a group (although travelling on a different day) and the agent had got his family given names reversed on the ticket. The auto check-in rejected him because his computer read passport and ATB ticket did not match.

At the check-in they could immediately see what had gone wrong and stamped him through no problem. For the rest of the tour, he avoided the auto check-in desks.

Avman
20th Oct 2007, 19:06
It's a FACT that most gate agents in Europe (on intra European and domestic flights) rarely give passports more than a cursory glance, simply to appear to be complying with regulations. In their defence, the truth is that careful inspection and cross-checking will double, if not tripple, the time for the boarding process on a full flight. Probably 70% of "security" measures we encounter is pure window dressing to appease the ignorant and gullible majority.

MarcJF
20th Oct 2007, 20:33
Agree, few weeks back I went through Heathrow holding my colleagues passport - who was female - in general our security is a joke. Just needs more care from the numptys

bealine
26th Oct 2007, 11:28
Just needs more care from the numptys

There's no need to insult anyone is there?

I just worked out, in a typical "airside" shift, I will board 50% of the passeners on 6 flights. Even using the notional average of 100 pax per flight, that's 300 passports I am expected to scrutinise, in addition to all the other duties I am expected to perform to try to achieve punctual departures! I am afraid I might just make the occasional slip in the interests of getting the queue processed quickly - especially as I might be guilty of assuming "well, they've already seen the passport at check-in".

Now, bearing in mind that British Airways at Heathrow treats its staff well and ensures we get proper breaks, many airline staff don't enjoy that luxury and the green jacketed BAA staff certainly don't get the same treatment!

To be honest, I am certain there are many passport checks carried out both here and overseas that are less vigilant than they should be. But what is the answer - careful scrutiny slows the queues down!

Final 3 Greens
26th Oct 2007, 13:15
Sadly, since I don't like insults, I have to agree with MarcJF that many of the security staff at BAA airports are numpty's.

I went through T4 last night and two security women by the scanner were having a real laugh and totally ignoring the pax and apparently everything else, goodness knows what their role was meant to be.

That sort of behaviour is noticed by those of us who travel regularly and we drawn our own conclusions about their capability.

Sadly it is a common experience.

Sorry, but that's the way it is.

BA ground staff are generally of a far higher calibre.