PDA

View Full Version : Laptop with DVI output?

mazzy1026
19th Oct 2007, 08:59
Morning all

I'm in need of some assistance! I'd like to buy a laptop with DVI output (to connect to 40 inch HD LCD) at home.

I only need it for basic office use (email/web etc) no games....

I have a budget of around £500 (Is this daft?)

Are there any other options other than DVI output, to connect to the TV?

Many thanks

Maz

spannersatcx
19th Oct 2007, 17:29
A lot of laptops come with s-video out, that may be an option?

221B
19th Oct 2007, 18:19
Any laptop should have a VGA output, which you may be able to connect directly - that is how I connect one to my LCD TV. Otherwise you can get a VGA to DVI converter. That would broaden your choice of laptops.
A laptop with a DVI output is likely to be higher end, so may be over specced for what you need.
You might also find one with a HDMI output, which is the same video signal as DVI, but also includes audio - DVI to HDMI cables are available, so that would work as well.
£500 should get a decent laptop

bnt
19th Oct 2007, 20:00
My HP work laptop didn't have DVI on the laptop itself, but it did have DVI on the docking station, which was great. If you'll be unhooking the laptop and taking it places with any regularity, I'd recommend you look in to that as an option - more sockets, and it saves wear and tear on your fingers, not just the sockets. :)

mazzy1026
22nd Oct 2007, 07:52
Thanks for the replies ;)

I had a little experiment over the weekend. Took a PC (XP) and connected it to the TV via VGA. My conclusion was (considering I'll only be using this for general use and not gaming) that the picture was pretty much perfect anyway - so therefore I probably won't bother with DVI for now.

I will therefore be going for an entry level laptop, with a minimum of a core 2 duo (was that an oxymoron? :p)

Any good deals out there at the moment? Mesh seem a good company with some good offers......any comments?

Thanks again

Maz :ok: