PDA

View Full Version : Vulcan vs Lightning

Just a spotter
19th Oct 2007, 08:48
Here's a questions for the PPRUNE brain trust ...

while watching pictures of the successful Vulcan flight during the week (BTW, well done to everyone involved), I was reminded of watching a TV programme with Martin Shaw in a Lightning rushing up and down the runway at Cranfield. It was mentioned in that programme that due to legal issues no Lightning is allowed to fly in the UK.

So, how come the Vulcan is allowed to fly but the Lightning isn't?

JAS

MAN777
19th Oct 2007, 15:10
The lightning requires the use of an afterburner, I believe the CAA dont allow this in the UK.

Freeway
19th Oct 2007, 15:27
For what reason is an a/c with afterburner not permitted to fly on the private register in the UK?
Anyone got any answers?

The AvgasDinosaur
20th Oct 2007, 09:42
I don't think afterburner is the major factor. One thing that can not be changed is statistics. As a percentage a lot more Lightenings crashed than did Vulcans ergo the CAA sees the Lightening as less safe. This is not an implied criticism of the Lightening crews. Just one of the many factors being considered by the CAA.
Hope it helps
Be lucky
David

MAN777
20th Oct 2007, 18:21
Pasted from Thunder and lightnings website

A number of the Lightnings in private hands are in near airworthy condition, but the UK's CAA blocked any attempt to fly them here. You can imagine what most aviation enthusiasts, including myself, think of that. This meant that the best of the bunch simply got exported to South Africa, where they have joined Mike Beachyhead's expanding collection, along with his Buccaneers and Hunters! Thunder rolls once more, but it's a crime that it won't be here, in the Lightning's own country of origin.
No less than three Lightnings are now flying in South Africa, two being two-seaters and therefore available for passenger flights. Yes, you can pay for a flight in one... take a peak at the Classic Jets web site but have some tissues ready, you will probably be drooling a lot. Now start saving! They have one more single seater to return to the air as well.
Another Lightning is due to fly, and this time in America - T.5 XS422, previously held by Keith Smith at Marine Salvage is being restored by the Anglo-American Lightning Association, who are doing well in their restoration.

JEM60
21st Oct 2007, 08:13
There are actually four Lightnings in South Africa airworthy. They were all in formation earlier in the year at an aerospace exhibition at Ysterplaat. 2 Twin seat, and 2 single seat. Went down there myself two years ago for two airshows in which they participated. Fabulous, and a fabulous country to visit. Been twice now. Apparently, for those wishing to get into Thunder City, things are much more difficult these days. M. Beachyhead can be a quirky person at times, and changes his attitude to enthusiasts frequently from what I have heard. However, it is equally possible to obtain very good pictures of the ramp activity at TC simply through the fence. And I can assure you that having a Lightning test it's reheat twenty feet from you is quite awesome. As someone said, save the money if you want to see them, it is well worth it!!!.