PDA

View Full Version : Career Question

flight884
19th Oct 2007, 05:25
Hi everyone. I apologize if this isn't the right forum for this question. Please advise if I should post this in another area:

I was recently offered a job as an FAA air traffic controller but had to decline the specific position due to scheduling issues.

Problem is, I aged out (just turned 31) so waiting for a new ATC offer is out of the question. Ever since I was a kid I wanted to work in aviation and am now at a loss as to what is available to me. I've got a family to support, and am in the NYC area (JFK/LGA/EWR). But I've always wanted to work at the airport and would forever regret never having the chance work within the field.

Can my initial Air Traffic training (CTI) plus an AS degree in airport management with no practical experience (I was offered the ATC position but declined, and I never worked in airport management) count for anything in attaining another job such as dispatch or airline ramp control?

What is ramp controlling like? Will I have to go back to school once again? What is required to enter the proffession? How would I go about achieving such a career at this point? Where can I find more information?

Thanks so much for your help!

Zulu ONE
19th Oct 2007, 07:36
hi
I'am jest about to leave the navy (fleet air arm),and i am a bit at a loss as to way they have turned you down. Did you put you applicetion forward. even thougth you are a little older the most,you have all that ATC training behind you.
I know this dose not anwers your question.
like wise iam doing the same,leaveing the navy and looking for work in ops or dispactch or ramp.
once again sorry this dose not and your main question