PDA

View Full Version : "New" Flybe Assisted Sponsorship Scheme

charlie copeland
18th Oct 2007, 19:14
"The scheme will be launched formally at the FLYER Professional Flight Training Show at the Renaissance Hotel, Heathrow, on 3rd November"
-Oxford Aviation Training

Does anyone Know anything about this scheme? I would be pleasantly surprised if this was anything other than the scheme they currently operate through CabAir/FTE in a different manifestation.

Given Flybe's acquisition of BA Connect and considerable investment in expanding its operation with a fleet of new a/c could it be that there may, finally, be some competition heating up in FO recruitment on the part of the airlines?:hmm:

I remain to be convinced but, nonetheless, look forward to hearing the announcement, either way, as I was already planning to go to the show.

http://www.flyer.co.uk/exhibitions/London/

Charlie

hollingworthp
18th Oct 2007, 20:49
I didn't go to the FBE meeting at OAT yesterday - but I understand that they are offering financial assistance of 20k towards training costs with OAT for a certain number of cadets. They are taking 6-8 low hours pilots (not sure if that is 6-8 from OAT or 6-8 combined. I did hear they will also take modular pilots but only if they have remained with one FTO throughout their training) a month but I don't know how many 'sponsored' places there are.

As I have no direct interest in this scheme, I was not paying close attention so forgive me if any of these details turn out to be incorrect.

r44flyer
19th Oct 2007, 10:12
From what I gather this scheme is the same as the Cabair one and the FTE one. You pay circa £40k, Flybe pay circa £20k, you're bonded for 5 years for the £20k and the cost of the Q400 type rating.

I was told this scheme would be along soon. Flybe have spread their training requirements around a bit from what used to be an exclusive deal with Cabair.

Sinbad_633
19th Oct 2007, 11:53
The FTE one is different...

You pay all the FTE course fees, Flybe then pay for a JOC & TR. Bonded for 3 years.

anotherspaceman
19th Oct 2007, 12:03
I think you will find that not only are you bonded for the type rating and 20K over 5 years but that the 20K is clawed back from your salary. Basically, they lend you 20K, which you pay back, but you are bonded for an extra 2 years for the priviledge. I believe Flybe will be at the Flyer show, according to the Flyer website.

Gav28
19th Oct 2007, 12:52
Out of interest when airlines specify only taking modular students if training is all completed through one FTO, does this mean from zero hours to fATPL at one school or just the completion of the professional licenses rather than the PPL at the same school?

hollingworthp
19th Oct 2007, 16:17
Gav28 - Pass. Why not pop along to the flyer exhibition and find out?

Propellerhead
19th Oct 2007, 21:15
surely only the commercial licences otherwise it would be integrated and not modular!!

Deano777
19th Oct 2007, 22:19
It means PPL, Night Qual, Hr building, CPL, MER & IR rating. This is one stop modular, if you did PPL, Night & Hr building in a different place how can this constitute one stop modular? I guess the question they are asking is "ok if we take on modular what is the nearest to an integrated course that we can get?" that would mean everything with the same FTO.
The FTO I came from (Modular) could only recommend to Flybe if you did all your training with them, this was a Flybe imposed limit, not an FTO imposed limit.

hollingworthp
20th Oct 2007, 09:16
Ok - from speaking to a colleague who was at the briefing at OAT, this is what was said by their MD:

FlyBE has hired Mod grads from OAT and they don't do PPL or Hour Building. It is the ATPL Theory, CPL/ME/IR/MCC they want done at one school.

They have committed to only take graduates from four schools: OAT, Cabair, FTE and Atlantic Flight Training.

HTH

Phil.

Propellerhead
20th Oct 2007, 11:06
I think that's pretty clear. as someone said OAT don't do ppl! You just save 20k by having ppl and 150hrs before u start.

shedrule
27th Nov 2007, 12:10
Am I the only person wondering what happened to this scheme and / or haven't seen any details of it on the OAT website? :confused:

4KBeta
27th Nov 2007, 14:52
It was with CabAir and its been and gone.

shedrule
27th Nov 2007, 15:23
Very curious, certainly no mention of it on the OAT site since the story of the flybe Q400 visiting to promote the scheme. Still up on the flybe site. Strange

BusinessMan
1st Dec 2007, 09:34
It's now mentioned on OAT's website

http://www.oxfordaviation.net/

Looks like its happening at last. Wonder how many they're after as FlyBe have pre-selected 2 batches from FTE and 1 from Cabair already this year. Anyone know their ab-initio total annual requirement?

Best of luck to all who go for this one:ok:

Cheers, BM

blader
5th Dec 2007, 01:36
"unrestricted right to work in the UK"
When the requirements state a need to have "an unrestricted right to work in the UK", are foreigners (from asia, states etc.) allowed to apply?

in the UK visa website, it states that the employer will have to apply for a work permit for the foreign employee, so does that mean the prospective employee (who isnt a UK citizen) should just apply for the job first, in this case the oxford assisted pilot training program, even though he doesnt have a work permit yet?

Would appreciate any clarifications here..thanks!

hollingworthp
5th Dec 2007, 04:55
Unrestricted means without the aid of any kind of work permit - i.e. you require nationality of one of the EEC (or possibly EEA) countries. People with only a US passport etc are not eligible.

Adios
5th Dec 2007, 21:41
Unrestricted means you must have permanent leave to remain in the UK. There are four ways to have that: Be a UK citizen, be an EU citizen, be a citizen of an EEA member state, or apply for immigration to the UK under any of the various schemes offered by the Immigration and Nationality Directorate.

I seriously doubt that FlyBe will bother at all helping you with a work permit for several reasons. First, there is enough interest in the UK that they don't need to bother. Second, there isn't enough time since their cadets will start training in April. Third, even if they did help you, it would be quite unlikely you could get a loan from a UK bank to fund the course if you don't have the needed cash.