PDA

View Full Version : Re:B737NG (CFM 56-7) Engine

Turkish777
18th Oct 2007, 12:25
Hello all in the Tech log room

Ive just completed my type rating (as a Pilot) on the B737NG. Could someone tell me what those fins do on the outer shell of the engines. If you are sitting in the aircraft you can see them, they are on the forward end of the engine. Im assuming they may deflect airflow or something, just a guess :confused:. Could someone please enlighten me and put me out my misory as Ive been looking everywhere for the answer (CBT and manuals) but still no joy, thanks.

A-FLOOR
18th Oct 2007, 12:36
The are called vortex generators and they are there to reduce spanwise flow over the wing and improve low-speed/stall characteristics.

Turkish777
18th Oct 2007, 12:40
Thank you for the speedy response, it all seems so obvious now you mention it..:ugh:

GASCAN
18th Oct 2007, 19:13
They are sometimes referred to as a "Chine".

Rgds Gascan

john_tullamarine
18th Oct 2007, 23:19
Tech Log URL sticky often has useful stuff, including a good little article (http://old.smartcockpit.com/operations/Vortex%20Generators.PDF) on VGs.

mavrik1
19th Oct 2007, 00:57
QF forgot to fit one those inboard vortex generators once! When they engine cowls go in for overhaul they usually just make them up as required for which ever eng needs them at the time (eng1 or 2, pilots keep telling engineers that the plane felt wrong at low speed, flew around for a while before they noticed what was missing. No real big deal though!

john_tullamarine
19th Oct 2007, 01:57
No real big deal though!

.. on the contrary .. I was in at CASA airworthiness when the news reached CASA ... there was quite a bit of wide-eyed concern at the time .. things like stall speed changes and the like ..