PDA

View Full Version : Old Smokey?

Check Airman
17th Oct 2007, 16:11
Gents,

Apologies, this is hardly a technical question, but I can't think of a more appropriate place to post.

Anyone knows what happened to Old Smokey? He always seemed to have positive information to contribute, but hasn't posted in a while. His contributions are especially useful to the junior members of the industry. Anyone know where he disappeared to?

Dream Land
18th Oct 2007, 05:32
My guess he's tied up with the A380. :confused:

Check Airman
18th Oct 2007, 13:00
I half-figured that would be it.

Old Smokey
20th Oct 2007, 22:30
Hi Check Airman, Dream Land,

Alive and well the last time that I looked in the mirror, thank you for the nice compliment of noticing my absence!:O

A fairly good guess Dream Land, I'm not "on" the A380, but it's because of the A380 that I've temporarily disappeared. Introduction of the new aircraft has absorbed a large number of our training and checking staff, and there's a huge backlog of trainees for the other aircraft, thus, yours truly has been totally immersed in clearing this log jam.

I think that I'm wearing 4 hats at the moment, flying (and simulating) my butt off, holding Approved Flight Examiner for 2 countries, doing a mountain of Performance Engineering work, and re-writing manuals. And then, just when I thought that I was getting my personal time management under control, my boss retired, and along comes hat number 5. At least the latter will allow me to work well beyond the nominal retirement age, AND allow me to keep flying.

Working right to the legal limit for flying duties, and then, on what is laughingly referred to as "days off" and/or "rest periods", chipping away at the mountain of Performance Engineering work. I forecast that there's enough in my P/E Inbox to keep me gainfully employed until about 7 months after my death.

I must admit to taking an occasional peep in PPrune's window, but don't seem to know too many of the "new" regular contributors, I see that my PM Inbox is full, so I WILL try to reply to the great group of cyber-friends I've made on PPrune ASAP.

Actually, there's probably a large number of people who are glad that I've disappeared, but, to their horror, I shall return (with apologies to General MacArthur:}

Regards,

Old Smokey

alexban
10th Nov 2007, 18:19
I'm pleased to read this as I had just posted (and now deleted) a thread asking about your whereabouts ,as I've tried to check your latest posts and I've mistyped your nickname...so no answer on search..:ugh:
I was a bit worried as I know you work too much..and anyway you are Old..smokey;)

square leg
11th Nov 2007, 21:45
I agree with the comments of the others. Good to see that you're alive and well.

OzExpat
13th Nov 2007, 10:13
A real pity that we didn't catch up while I was in your neck of the woods, OS. Maybe next time, eh? ;)

Old Smokey
13th Nov 2007, 22:48
Jeez OzExpat, if you'd only empty your Inbox you would have read the 3 unsuccessful PMs I sent you. Been in the land of wonder, Down Under, beats the socks off the last assignment to Russia, where I couldn't even pronounce the names of places where I was masquerading as someone who knew something about local procedures:ugh:

I can't seem to swing an assignment to POM, so you'll have to keep that Greenie in the ice box a bit longer:D

Actually, been trying to contact you for ages, seems your Inbox is about as organised as mine:}

Regards,

Old Smokey

OzExpat
14th Nov 2007, 11:33
Now I'm really confused OS. The most recent message in my inbox is dated 1 March 2007 and came from our good mate j_t. The total messages in there is 19 out of a possible 50. Perhaps this is something that the Mods should look at because there should've been plenty of room there.

I doubt that I'll be back in your neck of the woods before about August next year ( :{ ) so you'll just have to find a way to get here! :E There's always the twice weekly PX service... if you've got the time to wait in Terminal 1, of course. :}

john_tullamarine
15th Nov 2007, 22:24
.. then why don't the both of you get down to MEL and I'll go OIC beers and nibbles ... ?

CR2
15th Nov 2007, 23:03
OzEx... check you deleted your sent items too...

Pugilistic Animus
16th Nov 2007, 04:13
Old Smokey, I also really miss your posts, all the 'guidance material' was and is so helpful, I agree with everyone try not to work too hard and take it easy---as best you can.

---you've started very fews threads, but I remember your question about the longest city pair distance served ,not sure what the WGS-88 great circle, or airway distances are, but, is it currently COA's EWR--Singapore flight?

Best regards,

PA

OzExpat
16th Nov 2007, 06:42
.. then why don't the both of you get down to MEL and I'll go OIC beers and nibbles ... ?

G'day j_t. MEL is a tad far away for me but, I've got a better idea... how about we all turn up at the Brekky Creek for the annual Brisbash? Details shortly to be posted in the usual place. ;)

OzExpat
16th Nov 2007, 06:47
OzEx... check you deleted your sent items too...

Thanks CR2, I just did that. I have 10 in the in-box and 12 in the outbox for a total of 22. The info at the top says I'm allowed a total of 50 messages, so there should still space for another 28 between the 2 folders. :confused:

CR2
16th Nov 2007, 13:12
OzExpat, I sent a test message to you via PM.

john_tullamarine
17th Nov 2007, 23:37
Mate ... Sal and I could do with a break ... awaiting flight plan info on the aforementioned pub crawl in Brizvegas ..... now are we going to tempt that wicked OS fellow down as well ... ?

OzExpat
18th Nov 2007, 05:46
Thanks CR2, duly received - sorry I wasn't online yesterday to receive it in a more timely manner. I was, errrm... preoccupied... :E

j_t... details duly posted in D+G GA+Q forum - with the kind permission of tailwheel. I'm looking forward to catching up with you and Sal - been much too long since the last time! Hopefully we can lure OS away from his hectic schedule for a day or 2 - plenty of direct SIN-BNE flights, so no real excuse for him eh? :}

john_tullamarine
20th Nov 2007, 13:16
.. now, if I can just survive the workload over the next few weeks ..... court cases, multiple back to back audits, broken birds overseas, primadonna aircrew, etc., etc. ... I'll see you there in due course for the obligatory 1 or 30...

Sometimes I cast my mind back longingly to a much easier workaday world going from A to B gazing out the front window and contemplating that great conundrum of the flying age "... and they pay us for doing this as well .."

Ho hum ...

OzExpat
23rd Nov 2007, 06:16
Yes a quick casual 30 drinks or so sounds about right! :ok:

Sounds like you've got a similar workload to OS, j_t. I've also been a fair bit busier this year than past years and couldn't take my holidays at the usual time. I've finally forced the issue on that and am taking my holidays over the Chrissie/New Year period.

Back to the grind after that, of course...:{