PDA

View Full Version : Sniper One & 3 Para AFG

Dan Gerous
17th Oct 2007, 11:35
Bought these books two weeks ago and just finished reading them. I thought being ex military I had a bit of understanding of what was going on out in the sandy bits, but after reading these I realise I knew nothing. Some very descriptive accounts of intense firefights, and constantly being under fire. I now have a much better understanding of what the folk out there are enduring, and a deeper respect for those currently serving in the forces.

gijoe
17th Oct 2007, 15:55
Dan,

I think you are to be congratulated for being honest.

Being at the Kajaki Dam is a million and one miles away from the coffee shops and gyms of Kandahar, as was downtown Basra to the safety of the airport although the number of indirect fire attacks makes up for this.

There are plenty of people that, like you, could benefit from reading these books and then perhaps they wouldn't moan about the food in the biggest camp in Helmand and might be inclined to thanks the chefs instead.

(No - I'm not a chef!)

G

johno617tonka
17th Oct 2007, 22:58
just started the 3 Para book myself and have Sniper one ready for afters...

having read others about 2 & 3 Para in the Falklands it really brings home to you how things in the world are very different (technology in battle for one!) and also at the same time very, very similar to 25 years ago...

having not finished it yet, i cant really comment on it too much, but having only got into page 90+ it really brings home to me how much we can't afford to tag all our youth with the 'hoodie chav' label... what i am reading about are modern day hero's with the same sort of brave spirit that their predecessors had before them... my hat goes off to each and every man and women in the not so nice places in the world... you may not have books written about you, but you're all hero's the same...

on a foot note.... any one watch the band of brothers???

wild bill and babe heffron have just released a book about their life experiences... (brother in battle).. i have stuck my order in at amazon...

EyesFront
17th Oct 2007, 23:17
Just finished reading Eight Lives Down - another extraordinary book.
3 Para is next but one on my list (after Barefoot Soldier)
Highly recommended

hibbs007
18th Oct 2007, 07:25
Sniper One is superb - a real eye-opener.