PDA

View Full Version : Vista display/search options.

JackHowe
17th Oct 2007, 10:22
Until very recently (a couple of days ago), when I 'opened' my Documents folder it displayed file names and dates of creation. I could also right-click and sort either by name or by 'date modified', so that recently created files would appear at the top of the list.
Today, however, I only have file names and can only sort by ascending or descending order.
I did allow Windows to install a Vista 'update' yesterday (though I didn't read what it was about).

Can I restore (other than using the 'restore' function) my ability to search/sort according to date rather than merely name? Have I perhaps done something 'wrong' that I can undo?

Sorry if this is a repeat or in the wrong place, but I'm not a regular inhabitant of this forum.

Parapunter
17th Oct 2007, 10:27
Use the view option above the main file display window or alternatively open your documents & right click on a clear area & use one of the options there.

JackHowe
17th Oct 2007, 10:42
That's what I was doing, but now the options are restricted to only 'name - ascending/descending' . . .

Parapunter
17th Oct 2007, 10:52
Have you changed the view options?

JackHowe
17th Oct 2007, 11:04
Not knowingly (or intentionally).
Just rebooted, and, whilst the situation in the Documents folder remain restricted, the 'parent' folder (User) has all the previous display (and sort) options available.

I've tried (all?) the option windows, but cannot see which might lead to restoration of these choices.
I'm currently investigating the possibility of copying my documents over to 'Public - Documents' which does have the full range of display/sort options available.

I've checked the Windows Update(s) and they were 'merely' Defender definitions.

I think I've solved my problem (though not why it occurred):-
Under (right click) 'Sort by' there is a 'More . . .' option, which contains a list of many attributes. Only 'Name' was ticked, whereas the Public - Documents folder has "Name, Date modified, Type, Size, Tags" checked.
I have tried a random couple and this has extended the choices available under 'Sort by', so, for whatever reason the 'More' list appears to have been truncated, and I will now restore those which appear in the 'Public - Documents' folder.

Thanks - I hope this helps anyone who may encounter this (frustrating) problem.

Parapunter
17th Oct 2007, 11:18
Undo the update then try again. What I meant was changing the view options in the folder - that will change the way vista displays your folders.

Parapunter
17th Oct 2007, 11:24
http://i20.tinypic.com/2k0f8p.jpg

I meant play with the view option - circled.

JackHowe
17th Oct 2007, 11:30
In response to trying the 'View' options - they were all there but only displayed the file name as the list under 'More' that appears under 'Sort by' only had the Name checked . . .

Parapunter
17th Oct 2007, 11:55
It would not change itself on its own, so either undo the update, which can always be restored later or think through what you have done on the pc recently. For example, did you accidentally click on the view options or organize options & make a change. Have you changed something in control panel etc.

JackHowe
17th Oct 2007, 12:08
No conscious actions (were) taken, but having checked the appropriate boxes I've restored things to the way I want it. I'll monitor the situation. No further action intended, thanks for your response.