PDA

View Full Version : RT licence in UK for FAA PPL

TelBoy
17th Oct 2007, 10:14
Hi all,

I have an FAA PPL and intend using it in the UK on G reg aircraft. As the FAA do not have an RT licence I feel that I need to get the UK RT licence to be legal and learn local routeen.

My questions are:

What is the best study method/books??
I know about the £20 for the written and £50 for the practical test - does the CAA then charge for licence issue??

Any light you knowing lot can shed will be gratefully received.

Please note I intend to do this to enhance my knowledge and hope make me a (bit) better pilot so I'm not interested in the 60 bucks quick fix on the FCC website.

IRISHPILOT
24th Oct 2007, 18:32
The US system has a RT license and you cannot use your FAA PPL privileges outside US airspace without it. - The UK RT license will not make you legal.

follow this link, no test required:

http://wireless.fcc.gov/commoperators/rp.html

It may be a good idea to familiarize yourself with UK phraseology, but the test is not required.

cheers IP

TelBoy
24th Oct 2007, 19:18
Thanks IP. I did not realise that a UK RT licence on a G reg aircraft, but flown with an FAA licence is not acceptable.

All the better really keeps me out of the CAA way a bit longer:).

I would still like to read about the UK system before setting foot in our airspace though - any sugestions about reading material?

Captain Stravaigin
25th Oct 2007, 01:57
I was in the same position as you. I did do the CAA RT licence (had huge problems with the practical and got ticked off for using the word Point rather than Decimal). The Theory was easy.

I later found out that you can just ask the FAA for a RTL. They don't bother Stateside but for flying overseas u might need to produce it.

In practice doing the CAA one is still a gud idea tho'

Good Luck
mmd