PDA

View Full Version : JAA IR in USA

mutt
16th Oct 2007, 20:16
I was under the impression that under the JAR's, an JAA Instrument checkride had to be conducted in European airspace, hence the reason why most schools were conducting most of their training in the USA and then bringing students back to Europe for the IR.

Amercian colleague told me that there is now a school in Florida that is granting JAA IR's without any flying in Europe.

Is he correct? Have the rules changed?

Or is he getting confused with a CAA IMC rating?

Thanks

Mutt

davey147
16th Oct 2007, 20:19
Probably confused with the IMC rating. Have you checked out the schools details he has given you, im sure they would tell you what they offer.

zooom
16th Oct 2007, 20:27
I'm also very interested about this issue, as you colud see I have opened thread about Flying with JAA licence in USA...and I've received different answers about JAA IR.

Someone says that there is no problem to do full JAA IR in USA and on other side I've got information that half of JAA IR is in USA and another half in UK.

I realy don't know what is truth!

Maybe the best move would be to send an email to NAPLES air center with this question.

BillieBob
16th Oct 2007, 22:51
It is NOT possible to complete the JAA IR Skill Test in the USA, both the Skill Test and the necessary acclimatisation flying must be done in the JAA Member State of the approving Authority (see Appendix 1c to JAR-FCL 1.055). There's not much point in asking Naples Air Center about it either - they're not approved to conduct the IR - if you want the truth, read the requirements.

BigGrecian
17th Oct 2007, 01:52
the necessary acclimatisation flying must be done in the JAA Member State of the approving Authority

What your neglecting is the fact that this is only 10 hours.

European Flight Training in Florida offer JAA IR courses with 25 hours single, 5 multi, then 10 hours sim 10 hours aircraft in the UK. Considerably cheaper than the full course in the UK and the FAA>JAA conversion route.

dartagnan
17th Oct 2007, 12:00
that's correct, you have to come back to the USA and do the flight skill in a JAA country.

again 10 hours in Europe is a minimum. I think it will be around 15-20 hours in a twin at 350-400 pounds/h.They are a pain in the butt with NDB hold and track and most students struggle with that.

and the test is very expensive which ad a certain level of stress during the skill test.