PDA

View Full Version : Phrases used on Flightdeck

TSR2
16th Oct 2007, 18:21
I have seen a number of 'cockpit' videos where two specific phrases have been used immediately prior to take-off, 'Blow the Line' and 'Start the Clock'.

Would be obliged if any professional out there could explain the meanings.

BOAC
16th Oct 2007, 18:45
Assuming this is not a 'spoonerism' joke,:)

'Below the line' means please read the checklist below the dotted line which splits two parts of it

'Start the clock' is usually heard during instrument procedures which require timing from a certain point, such as abeam a beacon.

TSR2
16th Oct 2007, 18:58
Thanks BOAC. Assure you it is not a 'spoonerism joke' whatever that may be. Care to enlighten me?

The 'Start the Clock' phrase was used whilst lined up for take-off and immediately prior to applying power.

redsnail
16th Oct 2007, 19:00
Start the clock could mean 2 things.
Either you're timing the preceding departing aircraft to keep separation (wake turbulence) or it's to have an idea when full power was applied for an engine failure situation. Eg, the engines on my aircraft can only be on full power (APR) for 3 1/2 minutes.

danishdynamite
16th Oct 2007, 21:03
Start the clock simply means - start the clock.
In my company we say TO/GA (takeoff/goaround thrust), TIME.
Each pilot (B737) has a clock and we start them when setting takeoff thrust.
We use the clock to check against our operational flightplan if we are on time overhead waypoints.

PAXboy
16th Oct 2007, 21:29
TSR2 What is meant by Above the line and Below the line is that many check-lists have two parts, whilst other lists have only one.

For example, the Start Up Check List might (bear in mind I am not a pilot and am remembering conversations with my nephew who is) have 10 items that need to be checked BEFORE the a/c is pushed back from the stand. Then they pause at 'the dotted line'.

Once external signals are given, they continue the check list below the dotted line which might have another 10 items that take them through 'push and start'.

There would be another short list to be checked as they turn onto the active runway, before they can depart and this will include adjusting their RayBan Aviator sunglasses, throwing the empty one pint coffee mug out of the side window and preparing to start the stopwatch function on their Breitling watch, so they call out "start the clock". :E

That could well be my last post ... :sad:

danishdynamite
16th Oct 2007, 21:32
How did you know I wear a Breitling? ;)

redsnail
16th Oct 2007, 22:32
No! we don't wear Raybans, it's Oakleys for me.

In reality, it's remembering to turn on the ANR before it gets all noisy,
switching off the Stressberry, putting away the bike mag and to stop telling rude jokes. :E

Left Wing
17th Oct 2007, 02:41
Raybans = old school pilots

Oakleys = next gen pilots

Breitling watch = not a LCC pilot....:8

PAXboy
17th Oct 2007, 12:58
Very good Left Wing, my nephew is only 31 but wears the RayBans as I think he is an old fashioned sort of chap. (I can say that as he doesn't read PPRuNe) I have to admit that he has the six foot two height and blonde hair to make them look good (B@st@rd).

I like the check list item about stopping telling rude jokes for the benefit of the CVR. :}

In the merriment about style of shades, I see that no one has denied finishing off a pint pot of coffee and waiting to hear the satisfactory Clang as the mug lands in the dumpster so thoughtfully provided by Airport Operations for the purpose? :p

radeng
17th Oct 2007, 13:15
Funny, the pilots I know are more likely to use the technical terms 'F*** it',
'Oh S$&t' and 'B%^^$r it!'

TSR2
17th Oct 2007, 19:39
Thanks for your input guys.

Raybans, Oakleys, Brietling ...... Standard company issue or service loyalty rewards ?

Rainboe
18th Oct 2007, 08:53
Fakes from the Far East.

Maude Charlee
18th Oct 2007, 12:03
I was expecting to read phrases more along the lines of "Look at the t*ts on that!!!" :}

BOAC
19th Oct 2007, 10:49
Care to enlighten me? - T'was a feeble attempt at humour with 'Blow the Line' and 'Start the Clock' along the lines of 'Airplane', for which I unreservedly apologise

The Real Slim Shady
19th Oct 2007, 16:36
How about

What's it doing now?

or

Was that for us?

Serengetis and a Breitling

hpcock
20th Oct 2007, 03:42
Or perhaps,

- I'd like to appologise for our late arrival into ..... this evening

- Unfortunately ATC restrictions & weather delays are beyond our control