PDA

View Full Version : Learning to hover.......

Flapping to Equity
15th Oct 2007, 15:02
Hey there,
Just got meslf one of them cool EXEC 162f kit choppers. She's a beauty! Problem is, I live up on a station in the Northwest of Queensland and can't be bothered getting an expensive flying instructor up here (there is one bloke, but he's a piss head & am pretty sure I can do it better than him anyway).
I'm bloody keen to get this puppy up in the air. I've watched a few vids and stuff (some bloody good stuff on YouTube) and I wanna give it a crack. Kinda figure it starts with hovering, at least that's what I wanna start with!
I was talking to me mate Davo at the pub the other night and he came up with the idea of strappin 2 X 20 foot long tubes to each skid, with a couple of cross supports. Reckon that would help me not loose it if she started to go a bit on me. What do ya's reckon?
I know there's some smart blokes on eer & would love it if ya tell me it's OK, or even better, if ya got a better idea (old Davo's had some shockers in the past, but this kinda seems like it might hold water)?
ps.Once I get her up & going, I will get some photo's......

manfromuncle
15th Oct 2007, 15:13
This is surely a joke?

Hippolite
15th Oct 2007, 15:14
Wind up

Anyway, please send us a video or post it on you tube. It can be played at your quite likely funeral.

JimBall
15th Oct 2007, 15:20
Well good luck in your retirement John. Knew you wouldn't sit around for long.

And at least you're getting the thrill of an election..........over here the miserable Scot has chickened out.

Shame about the rugby, old chap, but with you as PM for a little while I'm sure your country will recover.

HillerBee
15th Oct 2007, 15:29
This is your fifth post, your previous two where about pissing of Bristows pilots, now it turns out your not even a pilot and most of all don't have any sense at all. (You're also implying now flight instructor make to much money) Well dude, I suggest you go somewhere else with your utterly stupid remarks and questions.

skidbiter2
15th Oct 2007, 15:39
You guys really do need to lighten up!
It gave me a chuckle

timex
15th Oct 2007, 15:43
Crikey you dont need much in the way of bait do you..............:D:D

Shaun

Flapping to Equity
15th Oct 2007, 15:47
This is your fifth post, your previous two where about pissing of Bristows pilots, now it turns out your not even a pilot and most of all don't have any sense at all. (You're also implying now flight instructor make to much money) Well dude, I suggest you go somewhere else with your utterly stupid remarks and questions.Come on mate, don't be like that. Just wanna get up int the air & not kill meself.
Does that mean you don't like me pipe idea?:*

ps. plus mate, I didn't say flight instructors make too much money, just that the one here is a pisshead and the others cost too much to get here.
If I didn't know better, I'd reckon you wanna fight me mate!
I must warn you, I can't hover (yet), but I'm a good fighter!!

Hover Bovver
15th Oct 2007, 16:01
I had the same problem myself, simplest solution was to strap it on the roof rack of my car, staright ahead at first, that taught me for and aft cyclic control, then I strapped her on sidyways and learnt the side to side bit:)
Getting it up ontop af the car was a problem , but it soon came off, but now it wont go, and that long thing at the back with a propellor at the end rattles a lot and is pretty bent up, do you think its safe to fly

Flapping to Equity
15th Oct 2007, 16:10
Geez, thanks for that mate. Davo mentioned at the pub the yaw-prop down the tail was important. Do ya reckon a bit of pipe strapped to the tailboom mite help with strength? I'm no engineer or nothin, but I reckon it can't hurt?
The car sounds like a ripper! Not sure if I should leave the pipes on....you know....just in case......
Thanks mate, knew someone would eventually take me seriously, instaed of all this angst & stuff.:ok:

170'
15th Oct 2007, 16:52
Mate...Ya got it all wrong, ya could 'urt yerself like that...get them old innertubes out tha ute and fixem to tha end of the tubes and fastern them to the ground, and i reckon ya shoud use planks not tubes...Then ya can get airborn but not too high and if ya get too high yer can bounce back to normal height and she'll be sweet mate....Thats what I'd do...Send us a few snaps when ya get dun....Tell Davo e must have 2, you cudn't be that stupid playin with only one ...;) 170'

3top
15th Oct 2007, 17:12
DOn't we have a winner here!!

Aaaaalright!

Here is a classic for your review:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo82pnyMR44

Supposedly the guy was/is a 12K hrs ATPL plank driver and thought he teach himself flying the helo by reading a book - hey, might have just have a bad day! :ugh::ugh::ugh:

You sound like you have no problems with previous aviation knowledge, so that should take loads of conciousness off the process :)

ON the other hand, his was a certified ship, yours is an experimental, so might as well keep experimeting :)

Ask someone else to shoot photos of the event, as you most likely will not shoot anything for a while after, if ever again! :)

Suggest give it some practise with a simulator first!

The cheapest one only costs you a couple of bucks at homedepot or just borrow the broom from someone....

Try balancing it on your right hand - when you can maintain a conversation, hold the broom steady without having to run after it and possibly even look a the person dumb enough (that would most likely be your matey Davo...) to talk with you, instead of looking at the broom - you're close to try the real thing.

Get your tubes on, mount the whole thing on swiveling weels on all 4 corners, limit the collective travel (that's the sticky on your left - the power-stick) to a couple of millimeters and try to figure out what those pedals are for....

If you are still around, call in for the next lesson,.....:}:}:}

3top :(

AndyJB32
15th Oct 2007, 17:49
........why start with the hardest thing? Ignore the hovering, and start with the easier stuff.
Just find a flat bit of grass to get a good tow from Davo's car. As long as it can do about 40mph into wind you'll be fine. Make sure you take off with a full tank of fuel, which will give you the most time available to work out the landing. Again, just keep the speed on, and touch down gently.
Move onto the hovering when you've had a bit more practice at the basics!
Good luck:ok:

3top
15th Oct 2007, 17:57
AndyJ,

...now let's get serious!! That might be a way to get even the dumbest a** into the air rotorhead-wise!!

A stable gyro-glider behind a car!!!!

If things go weird, just let go on the controls!!
No danger for the (non-existing) Instructor either....

They do that with plank solo students all the time (Cessna 152...)

.... don't ask how I know....

3top:(

purge98
15th Oct 2007, 18:25
First get the wife to spin the blades as fast as she can. Then turn on the key and it should start.
Pull the handbrake on and then move the stick between your legs around as fast as you can.
When you get the machine where you want it remember where the stick was at that precise time because if you want to go there again that is where you put the stick.
Easy peasy

A.Agincourt
15th Oct 2007, 22:45
Excellent.........thoroughly priceless. Made my night.

Cheers

Best Wishes

AA

Flapping to Equity
16th Oct 2007, 01:54
...get them old innertubes out tha ute and fixem to tha end of the tubes and fastern them to the ground, and i reckon ya shoud use planks not tubes...Then ya can get airborn but not too high and if ya get too high yer can bounce back to normal height and she'll be sweet mate....Thats what I'd do...

Sweet, this is the kinda got stuff that is gonna keep me from breakin me bloody neck!
So, good point about tying her down. We got some bloody big chains here on the farm we use to clear land (tie em up to a big tree, other end on the dozer while we nic of for a cuppa letting her go round in circles clearing the big stuff). Ya reckon if I tied about 100 foot onto the skid, it might stop me from getting too high, or going too far? I reckon this & the tubes on the skids together should keep me pretty safe?

Some bloke suggested planks instead of tubes...wa that a bloody joke or what!!

Out-of-balance
16th Oct 2007, 02:41
Hey, give the guy a break. At least he's up to speed with his geography.

Nothwest QLD - The dark side of the moon:cool:

3top
16th Oct 2007, 02:46
No way out of balance,
this dude is way further out there than just the backside of the moon....:}

That's a whole different planet where this guy is on .....

3top

.....maybe Pluto's moon

Out-of-balance
16th Oct 2007, 02:52
Agree!

Only joined yesterday but I cant say the replies haven't brought a smile to my face (especially the full fuel comment).
cheers

eagle 86
16th Oct 2007, 03:00
Fill it up and go for it - the world will be a better place!
GAGS
E86

Flapping to Equity
16th Oct 2007, 05:19
You just have to look at FTE's previous posts to reveal that he makes no sense at all!

Mate, you obviously didn't read me previous post bout how good a fighter I am. I reckon you need to tread very carefully.....

As far as the "full fuel" goes, if I didn't suspect any better, I reckon you don't care if I stoof in!

Also, from 3top:
The cheapest one only costs you a couple of bucks at homedepot or just borrow the broom from someone....
Try balancing it on your right hand - when you can maintain a conversation, hold the broom steady without having to run after it and possibly even look a the person dumb enough (that would most likely be your matey Davo...) to talk with you, instead of looking at the broom - you're close to try the real thing.

Mate, thanks for this, went to the pub last night, had a few with Davo then left to get a broom from Ethael's place & headed back for a go in the Exec. A few problems arose, note sure if I'm doing to quiet right..
I had to yell VERY loud to talk to Davo, plus as soon as I balanced the broom as you suggested, the bloody rotors cut it clean in half!
Was that just a really dumb suggestion on your part, or did I get it wrong? (maybe I shouldn't start at night)

Come on, unless you guys have some more serious suggetions on how to help me get me little pipe skid chopper in the air, please stop highjacking me thread!

wobble2plank
16th Oct 2007, 10:01
Flapping 2 Equality,
I love a man with ambition! You should talk to the fine boys (and occasional Sheila) at Nowra. Those bright lads would give you a tip or two for the price of a beer. (Not on a Friday afternoon tho, would have the same result as your local instructor)

Otherwise have you tried the Moeller Skycar method? Get yerself a large crane with a long boom, attach a flexible coupling to the rotor head (otherwise after your first attempt you would need to engage the rotorhead in reverse gear to untwist the wire) and get a mate to winch you into the air for your hovering practice.

The best bit of this method is you can practice your transitions too! You will look a bit like one of those cheap wizzy toys that buzz round the ceiling but hey, we can live with dented pride.

The Darwin Awards await those intrepid pathfinders.

Good luck!
:8

Edited due to crop spellung.

feelerup
16th Oct 2007, 10:45
Mate you must be a bit of a pullthrough if you think flying choppers easy.
Theres a few chicks that can fly but they are only really good as 2nd mate eh !
To get the the old 162 in the air you need to get a couple a lessons in a real chopper like a Brantley , sort the poofters out real quicko !

Sewing Machine Man
16th Oct 2007, 13:01
You know that little voice in your head when you read something. Well the one in my head has an Australian accent when I read this. Hey some people are easy to wind up though :ok:

Rotorbee
16th Oct 2007, 13:01
Hey, all those wise guys don't have a clue, how to learn to hover.
They just want you to break your neck. Since I am a member of the WWF, you can trust me.
Here is the way that really works.
First you need about 8 empty beer drums. If they are not empty, you and Davo know what to do next friday.
Now fix those drums on the skids, four on each side. Now put your "chopper" on a trailer and drive to the next pond and let it float. Now you get in and start it up and learn to stay where you are. Since it is not possible to fly with the beer drums, you are save ... except if you forgot to seal the drums due to the terrible hangover.
Now that works...
BTW: Big green reptiles tend to bite in beer drums. If that happens ... I would be really sorry.

3top
16th Oct 2007, 13:21
FTE, mate,....

quote:

...A few problems arose, note sure if I'm doing to quiet right..
I had to yell VERY loud to talk to Davo, plus as soon as I balanced the broom as you suggested, the bloody rotors cut it clean in half!
Was that just a really dumb suggestion on your part, or did I get it wrong? (maybe I shouldn't start at night....

Know what? Gime a call when you're back from Pluto....

3top:(

.....on 2nd think, don't.

teeteringhead
16th Oct 2007, 13:27
And isn't the "handle" itself a little clue to maybe more rotary knowledge than he makes out.............;)

Flapping to Equity
16th Oct 2007, 14:01
Hey now, a few of you blokes are taking the piss, I can tell!
In case ya's didn't read before, I can't hover YET, but can fight with the best of em. No more stupid suggestions, only good flying advice for me pipe skid chopper.

ps. Here is me photo, so ya all know I can take a beatin and still keep going........

http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/8254/milo2yr0.th.jpg (http://img510.imageshack.us/my.php?image=milo2yr0.jpg)

pps. Ya's don't wanna see a photo of Davo, believe me!!!

Non-PC Plod
16th Oct 2007, 14:31
Chuteless.....not quite pc, but I did allow myself a little chuckle!:ok:

Flapping to Equity
16th Oct 2007, 14:41
Wobble2plank:
Get yerself a large crane with a long boom, attach a flexible coupling to the rotor head (otherwise after your first attempt you would need to engage the rotorhead in reverse gear to untwist the wire) and get a mate to winch you into the air for your hovering practice..Awesome, but you obviously know nothing about the Exec 162f. It has no reverse gear rotor head function (well, not my model anyway, maybe the VIP version does??) Hey, don’t take me the wrong way, it’s a top plan & I ran it past Davo (he has no large crane, but told me that he has a 'sky hook' that would work…..whatever that is?). I reckon the best way will be to “pre-back-wind” the gearbox. From here, once on the sky hook, she should give me a good ride. Again, if it comes off, will send some of Davo’s photos.

chuteless:
I'm good at fighting too and I got a mate, he's called Desso
we got a lot in common, if you was a sheila you'd be perfect (your're not are you?)
Mate, appreciate your attempt at bonding. I think you guys are good at rugby, but I ain’t a woman, & you’re very close to barking up the wrong tree. Although, I must say I am somewhat flattered.

Rotorbee:
First you need about 8 empty beer drums. If they are not empty, you and Davo know what to do next friday.
Now fix those drums on the skids, four on each side. Now put your "chopper" on a trailer and drive to the next pond and let it float. Now you get in and start it up and learn to stay where you are.Mate, I appreciate your concern for me welfare, but are you completely MAD? I reckon I got me work cut out for me trying not to stoof this bugger in on land, yet you wanna send my out on the water? You did have one top suggestion though…..me & Davo drinking 8 kegs of beer. That’s gotta put in a confident mind frame for me trial flight. Thanks!

krobar
16th Oct 2007, 15:10
I agree with the chopper hanging from a crane. The most dangerous thing about flying is the ground, so avoiding it would be a big plus.
Getting off the ground might be a problem if you attach too much tubing to the 162. Read the manual, it usually has good tips about flying. It typically has advise about lifting off, such as 'adjust pedals as required'. Good as gold...

skidbiter2
16th Oct 2007, 16:01
NO NO I think you have it slightly wrong...
The keg idea....with the power of your exec, and the empty kegs,you would end up taking off prematurely, and we all no it's not good to do things prematurely!!
So this is how you do it.

Attach your 8 FULL of beer (Speights is best, not your Fosters or xxxx) kegs to your skids, add caster wheels to the bottom of all the kegs.
Now I know your exec is grunty but you shouldn't get off the ground, so you can practice moving around a bit till you get the hang of it. She won't tip over as you have strapped her good to the kegs with ya No.8 wire.
Now the best bit
As you get better at moving her around, you start drinking the kegs, (Davo can help with this part), to lighten her up, not to much at a time, drink a bit fly a bit, you will be getting more and more air time all the time. By the time you have emptied the kegs, you will be experienced enough to take the empties off and go for it!

I hope this helps, I would come over and help with the kegs, but I'm afraid you will skip the most important part about using "Speights" and use some cheep aussie stuff!

Good luck :ok:

Rotorbee
16th Oct 2007, 17:47
@skidbiter2
Are you completely out of your mind? Full kegs? Do you want to kill that poor bastard? With his IQ of a dead squirrel you want to let him loose on caster wheels?
Listen FtE.... thousands of CAA certified pilots have learned hovering by using my method. They all fly in the north sea today and are more then happy when they can ditch again for whaterver stupid reason. It is the way to go....
But if you can not find a pond without big green reptiles, the next best river will do. You only have to learn fast enough to avoid the next whitewater.

BHenderson
16th Oct 2007, 18:41
This is what happens when you tie a helicopter to an immovable object.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=HBbD5oD5FTY (http://youtube.com/watch?v=HBbD5oD5FTY)

skidbiter2
16th Oct 2007, 19:05
Are you completely out of your mind? Full kegs? Do you want to kill that poor bastard? With his IQ of a dead squirrel you want to let him loose on caster wheels?
Listen FtE.... thousands of CAA certified pilots have learned hovering by using my method. They all fly in the north sea today and are more then happy when they can ditch again for whaterver stupid reason. It is the way to go....
But if you can not find a pond without big green reptiles, the next best river will do. You only have to learn fast enough to avoid the next whitewater.

RB
That may be ok for your pond hopping opp's, But for FTE to get from his place to Davo's, he will be on dirt, maybe the odd tree and kangaroo in the way, but nothing the Exec can't handle.
Besides, where is he going to find water, you can see by the photo he doesn't know what the stuff is!
And if he does have a billabong near by, you will end up drowning him!
The Exec won't get far strapped to 8 kegs for a start, and once he has drunk enough, his skill level will grow as fast as he drinks!
Simple if you ask me, thats the way to do it, was how I learn't, well with one exception, we used 'All Blacks' insted of kegs, they were a good "dead weight", took a bit to get them to work as a team though!

Sorry FTE, I didn't mean to steel the thread, but my way is safe :ok:

Rotorbee
17th Oct 2007, 08:39
@skidbiter2
Eight AllBlacks? Wow, respect. Was the haka part of the lesson?

He, who has the same instinct of self preservation as a lemming, will never drown. Any water with a bit of self respect will immediately repel him.

500e
17th Oct 2007, 08:52
Skidbiter2
Don't mention :{ this will only lower the level of this post perhaps the 8 on the skids will promote team work especially if the long poles are used,
As a resident of the old country I find this post illuminating, there is a certain flair to it.
FTE PLEASE let us know how you progress

Out-of-balance
17th Oct 2007, 09:08
He will:zzz:

K48
17th Oct 2007, 11:34
YES that will work. I did it. But you need to get some tough orange leather footballs to put on the end of your cross pieces so you can slide/hover around with light skids. Paint a big white circle around yr Exec (perfect machine) and make sure you don't leave it or go higher than two feet until you can hold it still and do a 360 rotation both ways. Then you are about ready to fly.... It took me about 1hr and is easier on flat grass as the ground cushion is more forgiving. You will learn more about that later on in your career. Keep an eye on your fuel level as it's easy to forget when busy flappin!!

skidbiter2
19th Oct 2007, 04:30
Uh - oh.....did he try RB's idea in the pond???
Maybe we should ring Davo and get him to go and check that he is ok? :}