PDA

View Full Version : Research for film character

Tickle
15th Oct 2007, 04:36
Hi everyone,

I'm currently writing a screenplay that has a main character is a female police helicopter pilot in Los Angeles, USA. Her reasons for getting into the job are because her father flew helicopters in the Vietnam War.

My questions are:

1. Are there any highly-experienced female police helicopter pilots in the US?

2. What would be a very respectable amount of hours for a police pilot (regardless of gender)?

3. What would be a respectable amount of hours for a police pilot who is female, to have her reach a considerable milestone in US aviation, and receive a (fictionary?) award?

I hope someone might be able to provide some info.

Thank you,

Andrew.

Rotorbee
15th Oct 2007, 11:16
That would be a good place to start:
Whirly Girls (http://www.whirlygirls.org/)

OFBSLF
15th Oct 2007, 13:24
In most US police agencies, you have to be an experienced police officer before being allowed to apply to be a pilot.

Tickle
15th Oct 2007, 23:41
Thanks for the heads up regarding Whirly Girls, Rotorbee. I will contact them for the information.

Gordy
16th Oct 2007, 00:18
"In most US police agencies, you have to be an experienced police officer before being allowed to apply to be a pilot."

Not so anymore....I thought it was about 50/50. I know of quite a few agencies that use professional pilots to fly, and officers in the other seat. I also know of at least one agency that hires professional pilots and THEN puts them through the academy.

B Sousa
16th Oct 2007, 01:18
In most US police agencies, you have to be an experienced police officer before being allowed to apply to be a pilot.

If my homework is correct Las Vegas Metro turned down trained and experienced Pilots for a no fly female. Paid for her training to boot......

I guess its just a matter of timing.......

Darren999
17th Oct 2007, 01:15
Hi Tickle,

If you get really stuck I could borrow one of flying Squirrels dresses he uses at the weekends and shave my legs and help you out.. always wanted to be on the big screen!!:ok::D

MSP Aviation
17th Oct 2007, 01:29
Believe there's a movie sharing a similar premise staring the late Anna Nicole Smith... :E

Edited to say "starring" not "staring," but both are somewhat appropriate...

rick1128
17th Oct 2007, 10:32
You might also try the Airborne Law Enforcement Assoc. (ALEA).

OFBSLF
17th Oct 2007, 12:37
Massachusetts State Police air wing pilots are selected from the existing troopers:

http://tinyurl.com/24n8dv

Um... lifting...
17th Oct 2007, 15:20
You might try Gary, Indiana. In 2003, they had a helicopter pilot by name of Selita Billingsley, then billed as the only female police pilot in the State of Indiana.
http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=News&id=164915

Helicopters Sgt. C. Julks (219) 949-6294

PANews
17th Oct 2007, 19:25
Try HAI.
At this years Heli-Expo they awarded the MD Helicopters Law Enforcement Award to Monica McIntyre; Law Enforcement Pilot (retired), SkyKnight Program, City of Lakewood, California and Sheriff’s Department, Huntington Beach, California
Recently retired, Ms Monica McIntyre is lauded as being the first female law enforcement helicopter pilot in the US. She served the City of Lakewood, California as a Sky Knight pilot for the Sheriff’s Department for 25 years. Sky Knight was the world’s first regularly scheduled day/night law enforcement patrol program. McIntyre also flew two years for Hughes Aircraft as a corporate 222-helicopter pilot and two years for Island Express Helicopters. McIntyre logged over 15,800 rotorcraft hours during her career.
Their original citation was a fair bit longer [and full of errors] but there is quite a story there. Lots of hours if a little narrow in variety but somewhere to start.
:D

Right State and and an award that is not fiction ...