PDA

View Full Version : Web page loading troubles

Deano777
14th Oct 2007, 16:16
Hi all

My wife has a laptop that I connect to the net wirelessly, everything used to work fine until one day it stopped connecting to sites which seems to be of some security, for example, I cannot log into any bank websites, the actual site loads but when we put in the password it won't have it, ebay, I cannot sign into ebay, it won't let me sign into my hotmail account etc etc.
I thought I'd download the latest version of IE (version 7) to see if it fixes it but now NOTHING works, I cannot even get a front page to load let alone log in anywhere.

I went through all of IE's security options, I trolled through the advanced settings etc changing a few things but nothing stood out and nothing works.
I have disabled windows firewall settings, it has Norton on there which is old but this looks disabled as well.
I tried to load Firefox but again I cannot get any pages at all to load.

I thought it may be the wireless connection but my main PC is absolutely fine on the same network.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated, and I apologise in advance if I can't answer any questions etc as I am going away again for the week, I may be able to log in during the week from Farnborough.

Thanks in advance

Dean

stickyb
15th Oct 2007, 02:37
it has Norton on there which is old but this looks disabled as well.

Connecting a pc without up to date and working antivirus software to the internet is gambling with your data.

Get an up to date virus and spyware checker pronto and get the laptop checked out.

A sign of being infected is antivirus software disabled. If you do find an infection, then think about all those banks sites and so on that you tried to put the password into, and change them all very quickly.

Saab Dastard
15th Oct 2007, 09:57
Good advice from stickyb - scary place, the internet.

Think of it as a lot of dark alleyways that you don't want to go down, and the only things keeping you on Main Street are your firewall, Antivirus, Anti-Malware - and common sense.

If any of these go AWOL, STOP! Repair the problem before going further.

SD