PDA

View Full Version : Laptop freezing

Std Speed
14th Oct 2007, 13:42
My laptop, an Asus A6000, freqently suffers total freezing. I've discovered that if I apply slight pressure an inch or two to the right of the trackpad it will instantly un-freeze. Sometimes after a few tries I can get it to 'stick' and it will stay unfrozen, other times i have to continue to type pressing on the case.
I gather this is some kind of shorting/earthing problem ?, and my question is can i fix this myself and is it likely to be straight forward ?.
I've built destktops before so not afraid of getting out the screwdriver, but i've never even seen the inside of a lappie.
Thx in advance

Parapunter
14th Oct 2007, 15:51
Does sound physical doesn't it? I would have thought the only way to see would be to open it up until then it would be speculation.

On which note, could it be a connection being made that is bombarding the system & occupying it 100% perhaps task manager or process explorer would help you to see what is happening when it freezes?

Std Speed
14th Oct 2007, 18:25
As you say its definately physical, somtimes windows wont even boot unless i keep pressure on the case.

It started happening after laptop was returned from asus. The motherboard had crapped out and they replaced it. I could still send it back for further repair but to be honest the whole thing was so painfull spending days waiting in for couriers, i'd rather not.

Still hoping Its just a loose screw. :confused:

Are lappies that difficult to deconstruct. ?

boguing
14th Oct 2007, 21:55
Laptops are relatively easy to dismantle and fault-find.

The key to it is organisation. Lots of little pots numbered from one to infinity minus one for the screws from each stage.

Second, take pics of every stage.

Unlike a desktop, various bits (keyboard and monitor at least) are connected by trapped cables. You need to pull back the clamps (tiny, plastic) with a sharp blade and magnifying glass to disengage the clamps.

I suspect you'll find that a repairman left a screw out, so that something isn't permanently connected. With laptops it is essential that there are no "pocket screws" (left overs after remantling).

You'll have fun taking it apart. In particular, the lid/screen hinge, which you might or might not have to tackle. Getting the keyboard out can be tricky too. But I've done it and they have all worked afterwards.

As I said, you're looking for something missing. My bet is on a motherboard mounting screw.

sparkie
15th Oct 2007, 21:10
Paris Dakar

Interestingly I also have an Acer notebook that does the same thing. My only cure is to unlock the battery compartment cover, slide out the battery and replace it back in. I then reboot and all is well.

I have also noticed that it tends to do this if I have the laptop on for some time ie 3 or 4 hours, when the underside is quite hot by then.

Std Speed
17th Oct 2007, 07:53
Thx guys, just got to get my sim check out the the way and then i'm 'going in'. :8:confused::\:eek::{