PDA

View Full Version : Wav files on iTunes?

Binoculars
14th Oct 2007, 09:50
Sorry if this has been covered; the search function refused to work because the word wav was too short, and adding a full stop after it and the word files made no difference.

I have come into the possession of a large number of songs in wav format. WMP will play them from my external HDD, but I can't seem to make iTunes even remotely interested in them. Is there a fundamental compatibility problem, or some work around I can use to put them onto my iMac (OS X Tiger)?

P.Pilcher
14th Oct 2007, 09:57
Although there may be a more elegant solution, I turned all my .wav files into .mp3's using Audacity and then, for me, iTunes had no problem.

P.P.

Background Noise
14th Oct 2007, 17:39
I have itunes on a mac and it plays wav files OK so there maybe a plug-in available somewhere(?) for itunes on windows.

Binoculars
16th Oct 2007, 10:43
OK, I decided to take Mr Pilcher's advice, but used a freeware program called ABC Amber audio converter. It seems tto be working OK, but I'm curious as to how long it takes to convert an average 10MB wav to mp3, the problem being that I have around 8000 songs to convert. I remember thinking when I clicked go that if each wav took 5 seconds I needn't hold my breath, if it took ten seconds then more of the same. Then I started wondering what if the average wav takes a minute, five minutes, ten minutes.

I'm curious becasue there's no time indicator on the program; it's still only 22 hours (!!!) and it's not as though the lappy is doing anything else. But......

:uhoh:

P.Pilcher
16th Oct 2007, 11:54
Well, I have just tried a 20 Mb .wav file with audacity and it took 15 seconds BUT it also expects you to fill in a box for the song title, music type, artist and so on which takes more time and I can't see how to automate it. To be fair the 20 Mb file I used was one of my own recordings which did not carry any of this information (if it is possible to include it in a .wav) Thus if you have that many .wavs to recode it is going to take some time using my suggestion.

P.P.

Binoculars
16th Oct 2007, 12:03
OK, so 8,000 x 15 sec = 120,000 seconds or 2000 minutes or app 33 hours. That doesn't sound unreasonable, I just wondered if my laptop was going to be spinning forever with no indication it was ever going to stop. :)

I'll keep you informed of the progress!

ORAC
16th Oct 2007, 14:14
I don't see the problem with importing into iTunes. They can be imported as WAV files ot converted into MP3/AAC etc at your preference (iTunes/Preferences/Advanced/Importing).

Just select the files and drag them over the Library Music icon. I do on a MacBook using OS X and iTunes. ITunes then automatically imports them.

Binoculars
16th Oct 2007, 14:28
I can only envy you Orac. It just doesn't happen on my iTunes. Meanwhile the conversion continues, and I would not be game to even THINK about aborting it!

Binoculars
17th Oct 2007, 11:10
Approaching 34 hours. :uhoh: As Linus once said while watching his beloved blanket in the dryer; "sigh. This is a lonely vigil".