PDA

View Full Version : On BBC1 now (Sunday am), Andrew Marr.

Al R
14th Oct 2007, 08:31
Something about the ATA in WW2.

:eek: "We tended not to know a thing about the aircraft we flew, we flew whatever we were told to when we turned up on the day; Wellingtons, Spitfires, Lancasters, Typhoons.."

What an interesting lady. :ok:

PPRuNeUser0211
14th Oct 2007, 08:56
Indeed, would be nice to see, especially as 407 was delivered by one of the female delivery pilots, who sadly passed away a couple of years ago.

Al R
14th Oct 2007, 09:03
Big Blue,

Thats exactly what I was thinking. If Chuck can go up 60 years on, how nice would it be to send one of our unsung heroines up again too? 10% attrition too, and interesting to learn that Cripps had given them equal pay.

Rakshasa
14th Oct 2007, 16:44
Theres a good book about it - still in circulation AFAIK - called the Forgotten Pilots by Lettuce Curtis. Definetly worth a read if you can get a copy.

Background Noise
14th Oct 2007, 17:30
Jackie Moggridge was one of the first and eventually most prolific of the women ATA pilots. She flew Carolyn's Spitfire on it's delivery flight. Carolyn and Jackie's flight together in her aircraft is featured in one of the videos available via the link posted above in 'Absolute Heaven'. It's worth watching.

Ace Rimmer
14th Oct 2007, 22:37
A good read about the ATA is Diana Barnato Walker's "Spreading my Wings". One story she relates is about a girl who having had an engine failure dead sticked a Typhoon into a field and was found up a nearby tree crying - not because of the trauma of sucessfully landing the stonking great Typhoon into small field. oh no - it appears that the field had cows in it and she was scared of cows...

Stuff like that that re-affirms the 'greatest generation' tag...to my mind anyway.

orgASMic
15th Oct 2007, 09:06
We had a presentation at Lyneham a couple of years ago from some ATA veterans - what an inspiring bunch. One of the old boys (there were men and women in the ATA) had brought his original ATA-issue handling notes with him. It was a very basic set of flip cards like FRCs with 2 pages of checks and emergency drills for each ac type but with 4 pages for the Lancaster. Their out briefs seemed to consist of "Ah, morning Bloggs. Take that Mosquito to Halfpenny Green, would you old girl? And when you get back, that Halifax needs to go to Linton" Staggering.

JOE-FBS
1st Feb 2008, 09:54
An MP has styarted a campaign for official recognition for these amazing people:

http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/article3285304.ece (http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/article3285304.ece)

Now, if only the same could be done for Bomber Command veterans while there are still some left.

rognjac1
1st Feb 2008, 14:01
The definitive read about the ATA is "Brief Glory" by E.C.Cheeseman, published by the ATA Association. I recently obtained my copy (£17.00 inc p&p) directly from their Chairman. I believe this is the only source at the current time. Email me directly for his contact details.

I have stockpiled it for my holiday reading, but a from quick look it would appear to be a fascinating read. This was as a result of an awe inspiring talk from one of their surviving members to my local branch of the Vintage Motor Cycle Club last autumn.