PDA

View Full Version : Evesham collapsed

green granite
13th Oct 2007, 11:12
Friday 12th October 2007

Evesham Technology collapsed with debts of almost £7 million, according to the PC maker's administrators.

Not good news for anyone with a warranty, and who needs service. :(

Full story http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/129833/evesham-collapsed-owing-millions.html

icemel_aratt
13th Oct 2007, 17:29
i bought an Evesham computer about 5 years ago. Was very happy with the service, quality of components etc. What a shame. I did pay a little extra though as it wasn't mail order but i'm still happy with it even now. Running P4 at 3.2Ghz and just upgraded the graphics card for an ATI X1950 pro 512mb (AGP) and it runs everything with all the sliders set to max! Anyway, very sad to see them go cos I would have recommended them to anybody....

green granite
13th Oct 2007, 19:47
very sad to see them go cos I would have recommended them to anybody....

Me too, I brought one from them 4 years ago, the graphics card went tits up after 18 months, an engineer turned up the next day and replaced it with a newer one. :ok:

stevef
16th Oct 2007, 15:41
A real shame; I have nothing but praise for Evesham Technology. I recommended them to a colleague and he was more than happy with his system and standard of service as well.

According to PC Advisor, a major factor in the collapse was the closure of the government's Home Computing Initiative, whereby employers were encouraged to buy PCs & other IT equipment which could be loaned to staff for personal use. These companies were then given tax breaks and employees could make use of a PC at home without having to declare them as a taxable benefit.

Gordon Brown then shocked the HCI industry in the 2006 budget by pulling the plug on the scheme without prior warning. Even the head of the HCI Alliance was given no indication of this.

Evesham lost £30 million in revenue because of this, resulting in 150 redundancies, and subsequently went into administration.

Here's hoping Evesham Micros, the phoenix company, are as successful as the pre-budget Evesham Technology.

HuntandFish
16th Oct 2007, 15:49
Interesting . I guess evesham Technology is a seperate company as it still appears to be trading selling TVs etc and I got a email dated 16th.
I had a poor experience with the PCs though