PDA

View Full Version : Wheelie cabin bags and EZ

The late XV105
13th Oct 2007, 10:33
Just checked in on line for an EZ flight to Berlin.

Having completed formalities I notice that the boarding card has a graphic clearly showing cabin bags with handles are fine, but wheelie bags are not. Going back to the baggage pages on the website, no mention of type of cabin bags allowed, just size (IATA 55x40x20 cm).

I have used my IATA wheelie bag for eons, including previously on EZ, but am I likely to find myself checking it in this time?

My departure from home to make this flight will be at sparrows o'clock as it is, so not having to allocate extra time for check-in hassle would be good!

fyrefli
13th Oct 2007, 13:35
If it fits the dimensions and doesn't "seem" too large (not the same thing, in my experience), is it able to be carried with a handle that isn't the extendable one for the "wheeling"? If so, why not check in online and just meander through? My experience would be that the staff are far more strict at check-in than at the gate (yes, even when they're the same people), particularly as by that time many pax are laden down with additional duty free etc. bags and diverting it to the hold is an inconvenience they can do without unless absolutely necessary. Even if there is some sort of no wheely bags rule, if it fits the dimensions and you don't wheel it, I can't see you getting stopped post-check-in.

Personally I never use anything other than rucksacks but then I'm reasonably well up in an industry where only the exceptionally green would turn up to an interview wearing a suit ;) and wrecking the shoulders of a leather jacket isn't really an issue :D

The late XV105
13th Oct 2007, 18:30
Yup; gonna take my chances, ta, and travel as I usually do (with the aforementioned bag). I just wondered if there'd been a clamp down or change of approach. Seems not. Cheers.

WexCan
15th Oct 2007, 16:10
Any bag is permitted as long as it's within the given dimensions.

It's not depicted very well on the picture, but it's meant to depict that "hand" baggage (literally in the graphic's hand) is allowed but hold luggage is not.

cjhants
16th Oct 2007, 07:00
flew EZ last week with my wheelie bag, along with most of the other SLF. no problem other than trying to find space in the overhead bins.

The late XV105
18th Oct 2007, 09:39
Well, WexCan is right; in the event, no probs what so ever and as cjhants comments, stacks of space in the overhead bins, too.

pacer142
25th Oct 2007, 10:07
IATA size is bigger than that. IMX, EZY aren't bothered what type of bag it is, but it must fit within their *smaller than IATA* size including wheels, handles etc.

fyrefli
25th Oct 2007, 10:35
As per my earlier comments, the only standard size check is generally at check-in. Now, while I have seen genuinely stupid sized so-called hand luggage taken off people at the gate, as long as you're not extracting the urine the simple solution is online check-in. Same goes for KLM (who I'm currently using for my monthly commute due EZY's unfortunate - from a business traveller perspective - choice of scheduling of the winter AMS-BRS-AMS flights).