PDA

View Full Version : British Reserves

Trojan1981
13th Oct 2007, 02:48
Just a quick question for those in the know to dispel a persistent rumor. Forgive my ingnorance, but I have been told that there are reserve flying units in the RAF and Air Corps where most of the crews are weekend warriors a la the US national guard is this true

BEagle
13th Oct 2007, 06:47
No.

Apart from a few Air Expereince Flights giving flying experience to Air Cadets, the RAuxAF does not include any flying units. The RAuxAF flying squadrons were killed off by politicians in 1957.

The 'Whole Force' concept envisaged the inadequately strong regular forces being augmented by a few volunteer reservists and whoever the gvernment can call out from the RAFRes in time of conflict. But they've been relying far too much on reservists since GW2 - as a result very few people are volunteering to join the reserves and many are leaving.

One thing to defend the nation, quite another to be called up to support operations caused by Bliar and Bush trying to play world policeman.

airborne_artist
13th Oct 2007, 06:54
The RN FAA and the AAC have some weekend reserve (not FTRS) aircrew. In all cases they are former regular/full time service aircrew.

7 Rgt AAC (V) info (http://www.army.mod.uk/aac/units/7_regiment_aac_v_/7regtrole.htm)

"The criteria for pilots to join are that they must have completed the Army Pilots’ Course, and previously served in the regular Army (even ex-Royal Navy pilots who were attached to Army units have served in the Regiment and we do have a number of ex Royal Marine aircrew). Most pilots serve between 40 – 60 days a year, the majority of that as single pilot operations."

gar170
13th Oct 2007, 10:12
Sorry BEagle
there is a Herc flight at LYN
http://www.rafreserves.com/the_units/UnitDetails.aspx?unit=97

All ex regs but now in the RAuxAF.

teeteringhead
13th Oct 2007, 11:30
And the AEFs are VRT not Oggies.... as are the Air Cadet Gliding units.

....blimey BEags two strikes against you in one post!

There are also individual "full time reservists" who fly in both training and front line units ... often but not always ex senior officers getting back in the cockpit as flt lts.

And the RAFR who are the old b*ggers who used to be ROs but are now some strange sort of civil serpent - wouldn't trust most of them to drive, let alone fly ...... ;)

Trojan1981
13th Oct 2007, 22:45
OK, cheers. While serving in the Australian Army I met a USAF Reserve C-5 pilot who, back home, was a NYC police officer. He had been called up on Sept 12 2001 and was still flying when I met him in mid 2003. Seems the yanks rely on reservists to fight o/s as well. I don't think Aussie Chockos (Reservists) can be deployed overseas unless they volunteer to do so.

Squirrel 41
14th Oct 2007, 07:28
BEages.....

It's also worth saying that in common with some regular branches, the bit challenge for the bit of the reserves I know best is getting the right sort of recruits and getting top level buy-in to allow them to plan with some certainty about how their training programmes will mesh. But I'd have to say that they're willing and able to do their deployments - and the accounts coming back from the front-line are generally v. positive.

S41

gar170
14th Oct 2007, 09:06
S41

Well i did my best :p.

Some

Squirrel 41
14th Oct 2007, 12:54
Well done mate - tick in box! :ok:

S41