PDA

View Full Version : NVG for civil operations

oldhuey
12th Oct 2007, 21:32
Hi, I'm an Italian pilot flying hems and sar missions in the Dolomites. Day (SAR and HEMS) and.....night (only HEMS)

In order to get the NVG introduced in civil aviation I'm looking for any information about the "route" followed by other Countries to get the NVG flight certified or approved or regulated by the relative Aviation Authority.

In Italy it looks quite impossible due to a close attitude by the ENAC (Civil Aviation Authority) that doesn't want to hear anything about it. In the meantime......there is the noght VFR.....in the middle of the Dolomites.......you could easily understand that I .......NEED to do something to have the NVG operative.

Thank you

Alex

Helikopter
12th Oct 2007, 23:37
Im not sure if you dont have the CAA with you, we are operating on NVG´s and we like the cabin lighting from http://www.oxleygroup.com/avionics/index.html a lot. We also have NVG flood lighting in the cabin in one of the AC but its very poor.
This is a vital point regarding this installation if you ever get the change to operate on NVG´s.
But this operation is a bit thougher to maintain after 9/11 and all that. And EASA has to proofe the cabin lighting installation in the end.
That´s all i can tell you for now.:hmm:

Flapping to Equity
13th Oct 2007, 04:32
I know in Australia, it has been a long & challenging process, but it is finally all but complete. If you search the forums for NVG Ops in Australia, you should find plenty of helpful information. It may even be worth contacting a few of the people posting in those forums. I know the legislators may intially block you at all attempts, but it is obviously worth persuing it in the long run. Strap in for a long ride, but hang in there & stick to your guns. It's all about communication & education.....:O

helmet fire
15th Oct 2007, 00:59
Hop just over the other side of your beautiful mountains and visit Air Zermatt. Both Air Zermatt and Rega have been doing civilian NVG for 15 to 20 years without accident or incident in your environment.

Good luck,
hf

3top
15th Oct 2007, 16:31
As an alternative you might look into all the different Infrared sensor systems showing up, that will project a heat picture on any monitor.
Wild guess is that this will be combined sooner than later with NV systems....

NO experience with either what so ever...

Worth what you paid for...

3top:ok:

heliRoto
15th Oct 2007, 18:27
Try Aviation Speacialties Unlimited in Boise Idaho, USA. They were instrumental in developing NVG's for civil use in the US. They have customers world wide. If you can get a demonstration and invite your local authority you may make some progress. The ITT 4949 goggles are incredible. Here is a link.
http://www.asu-nvg.com/NightVision.aspx

Good Luck

No_7DAD
15th Oct 2007, 20:40
If you contact Mr. Clark Davenport ([email protected]) he can give you all the information. The FAA has published all the information for the TSO for goggles, STC requirements and training requirements.