PDA

View Full Version : Dutch Connie over Liverpool 60s

magpienja
12th Oct 2007, 20:38
I know it a long time ago but the only time I have ever see a connie was when I was a boy of about 14 in liverpool around 1966, I was a keep spotter and had one of the very first VHF airband radios,

On this particaular day me and my mate looked up on hearing a heavy drone of a piston engined 4 engine aircraft to see a connie going over heading east about 5000ft,

Rushed in to tune the radio and picked him up crossing burtonwood, it was a reporting point in those days,

Anyway it had a dutch reg P------ did not get the full reg, but it was on its way to ottringham so I recon it was on its way home,

Dont know were it came from maybe dublin, but seeing that it was the only one I ever saw I would love to know more about it,

Any of you guys know of any dutch connies flying that route ie WAL-OTT in those days.

Nick.

Avman
12th Oct 2007, 22:34
I believe that the last of the Dutch connies disappeared around 1963. IBERIA did operate a connie or two to the UK during the 1966 World Cup. I saw one in Brum. If indeed you're sure that it was a Dutch Connie than it must have been early sixties. As for specifics, without actual dates that's a tall order.

magpienja
17th Oct 2007, 18:40
Hi avman it was just a long shot but thanks for your input.

Nick.

chiglet
17th Oct 2007, 20:45
Many [many] moons ago the picture on the [New] Black and White tv started "bouncing".... i.e. scrolling rapidly. After a minute or so, we bacame aware of a noise. Not just any noise, but a great rumble, growing louder.... and out of the low overcast appeared a Lufthansa Connie. It was so low, you could see the blue flames from the exhausts...I kid you not. I then lived near Dukinfield Golf Course, scene of many a forced landing as a kid... but this just so happens to be [nearly] on the direct climbout from the old Runway 06, and in 1961 [ish] was fantastic.....it was a 50 min cycle ride to the airport, it't the same by car, even with the Motorway....ho hum.
watp,iktch

renfrew
17th Oct 2007, 21:09
One day in 1960 I was asking myself should I go down to Renfrew today.At that point a 749a of Miami International went past my window (4th floor of a tower block).
Another memory,Eastern shuttle 1049 from Washington to Newark in 1964 when you paid on board just like a being on a bus.

Groundloop
18th Oct 2007, 08:37
Weren't ACE Freighters flying Connies in '66? I know they were not Dutch but they used to use Liverpool occasionally.

BOAC
18th Oct 2007, 10:09
I worked with Aviolanda in Woensdrecht on ACE in 1964 a/c plus another company's a/c whose name I forget:{ and there were both Connies and DC-6s. Cannot recall which/whose though.

T'was a great Uni summer placement.Ah! those Dutch girls...... Met some great RNAF T-33 trainee pilots for a beer or two in the 'Black Cat' there too.:)

Avman
18th Oct 2007, 11:01
Wasn't one of Aero Transport's Connies by chance BOAC? They were an Austrian outfit.

BOAC
18th Oct 2007, 11:40
Don't think so, memory fades - it is after all 43 years, and those girls...............:) but I would guess at something with 'tiger' or 'LLoyd' ?