PDA

View Full Version : India Expats !!!!

flightknight
12th Oct 2007, 18:12
Please contribute the latest news regarding your experiences as an expat pilot in India.:ugh::rolleyes::=:O:mad::ouch::confused::)

AIEXPATS
17th Oct 2007, 21:43
Is there somebody specific you are looking for to reply?

Nevrekar
18th Oct 2007, 02:50
I work for Spicejet (www.spicejet.com). B737NG Captain. Been here since May 2007. Delhi based. Spicejet is a smaller player so far but we are growing and getting new airplanes and starting new routes. Hiring of expat Capts is ongoing. Pay is comparable to other contracts. Main exception is that on your 3 weeks or 4 weeks off, you are not paid. You are given a travel allowance. The folks here are helpful, friendly and everyone is quite accomodating. Expect to fly 100 or more hrs a month, 6 days a week with 1 day off mostly. Rostering is my major complaint. Monthly schedule is published but never followed. Your schedule changes daily. The light at the end of the tunnel is that you get 3 weeks off every 2.5 months (unpaid leave). I take the leave even though I live here with my wife and kids now.
I never seem to have much time to do anything with the family during the 2.5 months I am on roster (with a few exceptions). This is because of the constantly changing roster and not knowing your day off. You can never make any solid plans. I have had my wife entertain friends/family on more than one occasion because my schedule was changed at the last minute. Hopefully this situation will improve. Housing for expat Capts is 5 Star Hotel or the allowance by which Spicejet can lease an apartment. Single status Capts stay in hotels instead of apts. I am probably saving the Company a lot of money being in an apartment as I would imagine most hotels are atleast $150/night. All in all if you can adjust to the Ïndia Experience it can be worth it. India has lots to offer and there is so much to see and do. I just came back from Ranthambore Tiger Reserve in Rajasthan (8 hr drive from Delhi). It is a famous Tiger habitat and we (family) were fortunate to spot Tigers in the wild literally a few feet away from our jeep. The last time I did something like that was on the Serengeti. You will find India to be a hospitable country. Just don't try to compare it to the West. Doing so will lead to major frustration and dissapointment. It is simply " apples and oranges." Best wishes.

Left Wing
18th Oct 2007, 04:02
the latest is Spicejet got an expat COO...any truth in this story....looks like airline is following jet air's path....

20th Oct 2007, 06:11
The repiles are interesting.

Can anyone comment on living in Mumbai - regards to cost of living, lifestyle for families and small children etc.

Been offered fulltime work there.

jumpdrive
20th Oct 2007, 10:15
where are you from.............nevermind dont tell me
cause chances are if your europe or US
your most likely ...........................NOT gonna like it
@ all,..........................period, never
someone said a few days ago on other post's

orange's & apple's.................get the picture

were never gonna like it here, well always compare it to evrything backhome
execpt for the taxfreebuck's

anyway if your still planning on coming GOOD, take a job thats gives you HOTEL only, youll get rid of the headaches of finding something up to your standard
and if so, good luck on living there, power out, road's,, and the nightmare/adventure called "going to the supermarket", to TRY to fill up the cabinets in that space called kitchen
there is no such thing in this country, as the ones you are used to backhome
forget:
tenderloin, chicken, tuna, Ham.............jeez wanna cry just to think about it
mayonaise, mustard, even fruits, planning to make a caesar sald yourself HA HA HA HA, dont dream!

anyway, if you come, be it to a 5 star hotel, have it on paper
dont accept the word accomodation only
HOTEL.............

then youll live in a bubble...........
@ least in the hotel

rdr
21st Oct 2007, 01:41
JUMP DRIVE, an accurate post. India is not Europe or the States. Also, most people here eat to live, not the other way around.

I do detect however, a hint of desperation and nostalgia in your post.

Perhaps to help with your malaise, a week with an Inuit, Masai or Torres Strait Islander family could teach you that the sun dont shine out of a whiteman's arse every morning on this planet.:O:O

blandjet
21st Oct 2007, 02:52
tenderloin, chicken, tuna, Ham.............jeez wanna cry just to think about it

If you're in DEL this shouldn't be a problem (except for the tenderloin... you can have buffalo meat.. but that is notsotenderloin)

Nevrekar
21st Oct 2007, 03:28
Seek and ye shall find ! Crowne Plaza Gurgaon---Brazilian restaurant! Come all ye steak lovers! You can find just about anything you need in India, although you may have to pay a few extra bucks.

Nevrekar
21st Oct 2007, 03:33
Will pilot shortage turn into a glut?
21 Oct 2007, 0000 hrs IST,Shobha John,TNN
Print Save EMail Write to Editor

We’ve all heard of pilot shortage. This has led to many youngsters taking to flying like never before. But there are predictions that this shortage in commercial aviation, sometimes termed critical, is likely to be shortlived. Sounds pessimistic? But then, it’s better to be safe than sorry.

The present shortage has made these professionals among the highest-paid in any sector. And with the industry growing by leaps and bounds and airlines scrambling to buy new planes, the world is at their feet. As of now.

But this shortage won’t last, predicts Capt R S Shekhawat, technical and development pilot, Spicejet. ‘‘Spicejet has already gone in for a short-term contract with AI Express and Oman Air to lend 10 and 4-6 pilots respectively to them. In fact, the gestation period for a glut will become evident in 12-18 months.’’

How did he come to this conclusion at a time when pilot shortage has been pegged by the Centre for Asia Pacific Aviation (CAPA) at about 2,000 by the end of 2010 and some 20,000 by 2020? ‘‘This includes those needed for cargo airlines and general aviation,’’ says Kapil Kaul, CEO, Indian subcontinent and Middle East, CAPA. Also, by 2012, over 400 planes will be delivered, says Kaul, and these would need pilots. But with airlines making losses, some have rescheduled their plane delivery plans and these figures could change.

For Shekhawat, the arithmetic is simple. The number of those taking Class II medicals (for student/private pilot’s licence) was around 6,000 in the last 18 months, he says. ‘‘This will only increase. And the aviation growth won’t be enough to absorb and fulfil the dreams of all of them.’’ Some 50% of Class II medical candidates get through Class I medicals (for a Commercial Pilot’s Licence). Of these, only those who pass the DGCA written exam will finally get their CPLs.

However, Shekhawat says, a new DGCA rule last year put paid to the plans of many students. It made it mandatory for students to fly 50 hours before they could even take these written exams. Enrolling in a flying school just to get 50 hours was not easy. Many schools had few planes and instructors. Consequently, many went abroad where they got their mandatory 200 flying hours for CPL. Many of them will now be coming back. ‘‘In 2008, there will therefore be a sudden surge in applications for CPL from those who went overseas in late 2006 and 2007,’’ he says.

And with over 400 planes - let’s make it 500 to be on the safe side - expected to be delivered only over the next five years, where will these students find jobs? Most airlines have five sets of crew, i.e. 10 pilots per plane. That means about 5,000 pilots will be needed. Of these, 2,500 will be co-pilot vacancies. They will also take about three years to graduate to the advanced Airline Transport Pilots Licence (ATPL). Only after they become commanders, can the remaining 2,500 pilots find jobs. But that’s a long haul.

Though DGCA confirmed these figures, it was more optimistic. Some 5,000 passed Class II medicals last year, this year, it was 7,000. Of these, 3,227 and 2,305 respectively passed Class I medicals. Out of them, only 314 and 600 passed the CPL written exams, says a senior official. ‘‘Even if 800 pass CPLs this year, with a requirement of 5,000 pilots over five years, the shortage will there for about six years. Plus, pilots will retire and some will be found medically unfit.’’ But it still doesn’t address the issue of those who will come back from schools abroad, says Shekhawat.

Wg Cdr S K Buti, who runs a ground school for pilots in Delhi, agrees with Shekhawat. ‘‘The shortage won’t last. I have been warning students that the times of walk-in interviews are over. Airlines are getting stringent about training standards of these students during interviews.’’

Adds Mark Martin, senior advisor, KPMG,‘‘Pilots must get as much flying on multi-engine planes as possible as airlines are increasingly placing minimum criteria for total flying hours. Airlines in the US, for example, take pilots with a minimum of 1,000 flying hours.’’

In case these predictions do come true, here are some suggestions. ‘‘This is not a note of discouragement but guidance for the future,’’ says Shekhawat.

Government should encourage general aviation for business, tourism, etc. Why look only at commercial flying? There’s offshore helicopter operations, business, corporate and charter planes.

Do CPL training after graduation, instead of after Class XII as at present. Lessons need to be learnt from the boom-and-bust scenario of 15 years ago, when many wannabe pilots had to switch jobs in despair as airlines closed shop.

However, all is not gloom and doom this time. Hemant Shah, MD, Winnipeg Aviation, Toronto, says, ‘‘India could become a global outsourcing centre for pilots. There is shortage in Canada, North America, China and Middle East and many Indian pilots are joining airlines there. And this will continue for sometime.’’ Till then, fly high.

[email protected]

Print Save EMail Write to Editor

Comments to the Editor

21st Oct 2007, 05:18
Thanks guys - keep this comming.

Just as I suspected - there will anyways be a few people who can't or are unwilling to "fit in"

Interestingly enough most other non pilot forums on ex-pat living in india have mostly positive comments.

Quick question - what allowances are "normal"

Housing - how much per month?
Medical - family included?
Education - if you have children
Transport -
etc?

av8r76
21st Oct 2007, 11:51
A decent place to rent which I call a compromise is about INR 55-75000. The weird thing is even if you get to INR 100,000 you are still compromising!!! Unless you move into a 5* hotel, finding western standard accommodation is a tall task all thanks to the exacting quality standards Indians strive for.:rolleyes:
The article is an interesting read. A view bucking the trend of gross exaggerations of shortages. I flew with Capt. Shekhawat recently and I read the unedited article and it drives home the point quite explicitly. There is going to be a flood of applicants come spring/summer 08 and the market is going to get saturated. With not much of a GA scope things are gonna get tough. Reminds of the mid nineties when being a CPL holder meant you were the butt end of many a joke.
DGCA conveniently omits the remark that despite only a fraction of guys passing the papers, the rest of the failures will reattempt. And with more and more people writing the papers after coming back from foreign shores, the dropout rate will be nil.
There is a shortage in India.... yes, but only for commanders and experienced type rated crew. When it comes to ab-initio candidates, airlines can cherry pick.
Last time I checked no airline in ME is hiring 250 hr guys. And there is no shortage of pilots in Canada. Even if there was, the Canadian Government will never allow 'outsourcing' of pilots. These guys will say anything to dupe kids and their parents out of money.:sad:

Nevrekar
22nd Oct 2007, 00:52
Unless you have your family with you or you like to cook your own meals ( you won't have the time or the energy!) stay in a 5 star hotel.
Here are some of my observations. I rent in Gurgaon as I have my family here.
1. Housing allowance will barely cover rent. Expect to shell out another 500USD or more monthly. Most allowances are $1500-1800/month. Dont forget electric, mx and move in charges.
2. Apts do not include appliances. You have to buy everything. Including AC's.
3. Cheaper apts available but not on par with what you might be accustomed to.
4. Sign a company lease b/c there are lot of initial deposits etc.
On a different note:
Taxes--Your company is supposed to pay your Indian taxes. Your salary in USD should be net. You are responsible for your home country tax if any.
Medical-Medical care is cheap here as is dental. Spicejet covers my family as well. For basic stuff I just pay cash ($10 USD for a Dr. visit). Prescriptions meds are also very cheap. You can get name brand equivalents for pennies on the USD.
Transport-You get picked up and dropped off by the company. Taxis are available (around $10-15 USD) for 4 hrs.
Education: You are on your own. American school is about $15,000/yr, British school is around $11,000. Other "Indian" International schools are about half of that.

Nevrekar
22nd Oct 2007, 01:08
Going gets tougher for airlines
22 Oct, 2007, 0211 hrs IST,Cuckoo Paul & Anto T Joseph, TNN
MUMBAI: Dark clouds seem to be looming large for domestic airlines as equity funding becomes difficult to find. Input costs are mounting, even as the airlines try to expand and consolidate at the same time.
The result is a fall in return on capital, and it is not surprising that private equity players and strategic investors are steering clear of taking an equity exposure to the business. Industry officials said most carriers operating domestically are still in need of funds to pay for increasing working capital requirements.
Fleet expansion is being financed largely through credit from export credit agencies like the US Exim. Sources told ET that Kingfisher and SpiceJet are among those currently in the market trying to offload equity to prospective investors, but their airline promoters have denied any such move.
Investment bankers say there is a significant mismatch between expectations and the valuations being offered in the market. Many airlines, including big names such as Jet Airways, have deferred plans to raise funds, preferring to wait till conditions change. The last two quarters of the year are traditionally better for airlines and profits are expected to look up in this period.
For over a year now, private equity players, hedge funds and commercial banks have been chary, as the airlines struggle to make profits. Despite attempts by most of the players at fund raising in the industry by selling equity, there has been no successful transaction so far this year.
The last big deal was in December last year when low-cost carrier SpiceJet raised about $80 million from a clutch of investors led by Isthithmar, Goldman Sachs and the Tata group. Two carriers, Air Sahara and Air Deccan, that were among those who made maximum losses last year, were bought out this year, by Jet and Kingfisher, respectively. Both acquirers are now struggling to turn around the airlines by finding synergies with their own operations.
Commenting on the situation, director of transaction advisory services at Ernst and Young, Jayesh Desai, says, “There is clearly a value-expectation mismatch in the industry.” Though several players are looking to raise equity funding, they have not been successful in completing their transactions, he said.
A leading PE player said the return on capital employed in the sector is only around 7-8%, far below the figures expected by investors. “Lack of aviation infrastructure in India and increasing input prices such as oil and salaries are driving away prospective investors. Almost every player has tried to raise private equity, but only a few were successful,” he said.
A senior official at Edelweiss Capital, however, countered the argument claiming that there are still takers for equity in the sector. “We raised equity for Air Deccan and SpiceJet without any hassles,” said the official. The Mumbai-based merchant banker was the adviser to the UB Group’s takeover of Deccan Aviation as well as the recent open offer for the operator of India’s first low-cost carrier.
Edelweiss is also believed to be scouting for an investor in UB group’s aviation business, which includes Kingfisher and a near-majority stake in Deccan Aviation. Sources said the merchant banker has not met with any success even after long parleys with PE investors.

Jet Airways chairman Naresh Goyal said at the company’s annual general meeting that the airline has deferred its rights issue till conditions improve. It may approach the market by December or January 2008, he said. Go Air managing director Jeh Wadia has been talking to investors for over a year, but is yet to close a deal to bring in an investor Airline sources say funding for aircraft is being done through debt.

Air India, for instance, has just raised about $1.5 billion in debt, at rates below Libor, mainly through US Exim loans. Most airlines are still losing money and have already wiped off most of their net worth.

Nevrekar
22nd Oct 2007, 06:56
India’s most slippery runway
Yogesh Kumar
Sunday, October 21, 2007 03:39 IST
NEW DELHI: After near-misses, bird-hits, and radar blinks come the skids. Kochi airport’s runway has had at least four aircraft skids in the last seven months.

The latest scare came on Thursday, say sources, when a Jet Airways flight from Bangalore skidded off the runway during landing. No wonder pilots call the runway a ‘swinging runway’.
In Thursday’s incident, no one was injured but the impact of the skidding was such that the aircraft damaged its wheels and three runway lights.

There have been several incidents in the past where aircrafts have caught fire after skidding and hitting ground gadgets. In July this year, an Airbus 320 skidded while landing at Sao Paolo, killing 200 people.

While Thursday’s incident is being investigated, the Airports Authority of India conducted a detailed runway friction test three months ago. The reports were normal but the problem still remains, says an aviation ministry official.

flightknight
28th Oct 2007, 22:36
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Opinion/Editorial/VIEW_It_will_hurt_the_aviation_industry/articleshow/2453926.cms
http://www.domain-b.com/aero/October/2007/20071012_licenses.htm

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1041881.cms