PDA

View Full Version : WW2 Warbirds @ EGUY

FantomZorbin
11th Oct 2007, 15:28
Many thanks to the Spitfire & Me109(?) for the flypasts at Wyton this lunchtime - what was the occasion ... another departure from the Pavillions? :}

catbert
11th Oct 2007, 15:53
They were probably on their way to St Pauls for the fly past for Sir Neville Duke. We also got a blast past in Buckinghamshire.

Mactlsm1
11th Oct 2007, 21:44
Dammit,
That explains a lot of things. This was heard on the far side of the Pond as well. We'd just started a Telecon with the guys at Wyton when we heard the "unmistakable" sound of a Merlin/Griffon?.:confused: It was different to the usual Tutor noise that we hear.

As the Aussies were also on the line at the time, I suspect that the sound was also heard down-under!!, but I don't think they recognised it for what it was.

Mac

FantomZorbin
12th Oct 2007, 07:04
Many thanks Catbert.

Your comment led Mrs FZ & I to think of how many of today's test pilots are known to the public compared with the past (Duke, Twiss, Beaumont, Cunningham, Farley, Bedford, et al) ... perhaps 'tis a sign of advancing age and no longer having Raymond Baxter to keep us up to speed on a developing industry!:uhoh:

A and C
12th Oct 2007, 07:49
Fantom I fully agree with your sentiments but the bosses of british aviaton in the 60's & 70's destroyed the industry aidded and abbetted by the British goverment.

The UK has no conventional construction aircraft industry to speak of and so no test pilots that are well known to the public.

The good news is that aircraft construction is alive and well in the garages and garden sheds of the UK wached over by the PFA.

red 5
12th Oct 2007, 10:56
Yes i saw them yesterday from my back garden next to eguy, thanks guys a shame not more aircraft fly over these days.