PDA

View Full Version : Irresponsible flying?

tottigol
11th Oct 2007, 04:03
Check this video out. I can only define this as irresponsible and reckless.
http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=a2hgcCN6hfs

BlenderPilot
11th Oct 2007, 04:54
I can only define it as absolutely beautiful, left a big grin on my face.

Thanks for posting it.

Blackhawk9
11th Oct 2007, 06:32
I concur with BlenderPilot , nice video done more than that in Norwegian Airforce 412's flying round fiords in Norway.

spencer17
11th Oct 2007, 06:41
Beautyfull scenery and a guy who knows what he is doing.:D
Would take that ride anytime.

spencer17

NRDK
11th Oct 2007, 06:52
:DGreat stuff, a pilot very very comfortable in the mountain flying environment and with his aircraft. Had me dreaming of days of old and now back to sensible reality.

Thanks for that link:ok:

Whirlygig
11th Oct 2007, 07:14
Why irrersponsible and reckless? I don't think he broke the 500' rule and neither was he endangering passengers lives!

Cheers

Whirls

CopterD
11th Oct 2007, 07:24
Nicely flown! Great to see that there are still people who enjoy flying and have the handling skills to do this :)

CopterD

Minty Fresh
11th Oct 2007, 07:30
Fantastic - wot do you think the chances are of getting wing overs on the syllabus :}

Thud_and_Blunder
11th Oct 2007, 07:30
Seems lilke the Koala is a very smooth aircraft in flight compared to some. Interesting choice of colour scheme for an aircraft that spends so much time above the treeline - d'you think a splash of high-vis might just make it a tad easier to spot if you're looking for it?

dpale
11th Oct 2007, 07:31
All I can say is "Fantastico" the flying was great and the photography must have been professionally done. One trip like that could almost make all of these rig trips worthwhile. :D

Flaxton Flyer
11th Oct 2007, 09:03
Fantastic. What a lucky, lucky boy.

Whirlygig - I think the low pass over the cameraman's head might have just infinged the 500' rule....;)

whoateallthepies
11th Oct 2007, 09:17
Professional pilot in an area he knows well. Beautiful weather, pre-recce'd low level route, fantastic. Great to see.
http://i.1asphost.com/whoateallthepies/pie.jpg

Rotorbee
11th Oct 2007, 09:25
Cool. Just cool.
What do you think, what was the distance between the cargo hook and the camera man's head?
:ok:

2leftskids
11th Oct 2007, 09:38
Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!!!!!!!

CyclicRick
11th Oct 2007, 09:55
Lets face it, isn't this what we all dream about every now and again? Beautiful surroundings..lovely day..nice machine..the freedom.. and someone to film it all for you :)
:D :ok:

bell222
11th Oct 2007, 09:58
nice :ok::ok::ok:

SilsoeSid
11th Oct 2007, 09:58
I think tottigol has a Mondeo on which to place his bumper stickers..and drives along cursing any other drivers who dare to infringe upon his highway, while smoking his pipe, programming the GPS, consuming coffee and doughnuts, phoning the local radio station telling them about the idiots on the road, while listening to Supergrass!

Envy is his bed buddy and Assmap summs him up nicely.

I wonder what reaction he/she was after?

Oh, great vid by the way!

snowy_owl
11th Oct 2007, 10:08
Oh yeah, that video just shows the ultimate in pilot negligence!! what would've happened if he had a mechanical failure or clipped the camera man on his low pass!!!! Bollucks - He didn't, knew what he was doing and made a cool video.

Wicked video of a very cool chopper pilot and their chopper, would loved to have been in that thing whilst he did it!

Ioan
11th Oct 2007, 10:40
One of the best pure flying videos I've come across; left me with a big smile :D

If I'd done that THEN it would be reckless and irresponsible. He obviously knows what he's doing though, and that kinda video is exactly what I need when I'm stuck on the ground! Gotta love the Italians :)

HillerBee
11th Oct 2007, 12:04
Fantastic....... It made my day.........

Thanks for the link. I disregard your comment.

garn
11th Oct 2007, 12:43
a real inspiration for wannabees!! keeps that spark for flyin heli's going strong!!:D:O:ok:

minimo
11th Oct 2007, 12:53
:D
I know well this place and the guys too! With another former pilot from this company had the chance to take a few similar rides but with a Lama and honestly wouldn't have imagined a couple of seconds the Koala could make the same...

And I can confirm they re great not only as pilots and techs but as people in a general way.

Bravissimo ragazzi!

:ok:

havick
11th Oct 2007, 14:32
Nice to see someone having some fun with a machine for once, especially in scenery like that.

I think some tall poppy syndrome is kicking in here by the thread starter..

floatsarmed
11th Oct 2007, 14:34
Top video. Loved it. There is a time and a place!?:D:)

manitoubrian
11th Oct 2007, 14:34
What a playground... That was class.. Thanks for the link:ok:

3top
11th Oct 2007, 15:49
:):):E
3top:cool:

AndyJB32
11th Oct 2007, 16:16
........if only all helicopter jobs were like that. Ah well, back to the rigs tomorrow!:hmm:

BlenderPilot
11th Oct 2007, 16:41
Damn it!! I was downloading the video as they just removed it!! Did anybody get a chance go download it???

Please let me know.

ScrumpyLuvver
11th Oct 2007, 17:10
Damn.. Did anyone manage to download the video before it was removed?

SL

3top
11th Oct 2007, 17:18
What was the You-Tube title for the clip?
Something with "crazy....."

3top

aldee
11th Oct 2007, 18:30
Try this

http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=a2hgcCN6hfs

Bravo73
11th Oct 2007, 18:31
aldee,

That link still gives the same warning:

'Questo video è stato rimosso dall'utente.'

ie This video has been removed.

O27PMR
11th Oct 2007, 18:34
'Questo video è stato rimosso dall'utente.'

=

'This video has been removed by the user.'

aldee
11th Oct 2007, 18:40
Yes you're right,it was there when I sent it ,saved it yesterday, went back in and its gone,bloody good viewing mind

3top
11th Oct 2007, 18:51
Probably got cold feet.
Not the best promo for the owner, operator.
Wouldn't understand the whole thing.
However it is too late. Someone already posted the reg. and for sure someone downloaded the vid. Just a matter of time and we get hold of it again :E.
Reminds me of the beautiful clip about the loop/roll of the 407 at an SA airshow some time ago.
Well done, completely illegal, bad news for the pilot...
Things on video look a lot tighter than they are - though the head on to the camera with that pole in the way looked a bit close.
Then for a experienced bloke close means probably something else than for a "video"-only "expert".
Don't want to start the legal maneuvers versus show/stunt/crazy/ag/irresponsible discussion. Done that (...the discussion :E)
and everyone will probably voice the same feelings as usual.

.... just want that clip! ...real bad! :E:E:E

PS: I like that one too:
http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=GLM-cpsEbIQ
...never heard anyone bother with these guys.
Another one that looks very tight:
http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=0ajgeHb-bAQ
Oh well, they may!!

ScrumpyLuvver
11th Oct 2007, 19:19
http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=lUvmPj9zU64

This beer bottle top removing is amazing..

SL

Ioan
11th Oct 2007, 22:18
I've got it downloaded, but anyone know if there'd be issues with copyright if I put it on youtube?

Bravo73
11th Oct 2007, 22:25
If the original owner has already removed it from youtube then yes, I'd guess that they wouldn't be too happy with someone else posting it.

How big is the file? Could you either send it to people or make it available to download from somewhere? VeeAny might well have the bandwidth available on griffin-helicopters. P2P is always another option...

Ioan
11th Oct 2007, 22:30
That's what I figured. It's an avi file 23.5MB. I no longer have software on here to resize / adjust quality unfortunately, but if anyone wants it PM me your email address and I'm happy sending it. As long as there aren't hundreds of you! :)
Alternatively if someone is able to host it that'd be great!

Bravo73
11th Oct 2007, 22:39
As long as there aren't hundreds of you! :)

I've got a feeling that you're going to get a fair few requests!

Alternatively if someone is able to host it that'd be great!

Try sending a PM to VeeAny. Otherwise, I'm sure that he'll be along in a bit and read this thread...

Coconutty
12th Oct 2007, 02:15
I think the low pass over the cameraman's head might have just infinged the 500' rule....

what was the distance between the cargo hook and the camera man's head?

First time around I didn't actually notice a camera"person" .....
is it an assumption that there was one,
or could the camera have been mounted on a tripod ?

Will need to see the video again to check :rolleyes:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d129/coconut11/Coconutty.jpg

ScrumpyLuvver
12th Oct 2007, 06:56
I think the only reason why it was removed is because some wally called them irresponsible.. If you haven't figured anything yet let me know and I will email them and ask permission to re-post.. Providing we have that in writing there should be no problems..

SL

O27PMR
12th Oct 2007, 07:24
Scrumpy

I emailed them last night, I'll let you know if they get back to me...

PR

VeeAny
12th Oct 2007, 07:37
PMs sent I'll happily host it.

SilsoeSid
12th Oct 2007, 08:37
If the original owner has already removed it from youtube then yes, I'd guess that they wouldn't be too happy with someone else posting it.

By originally posting it on u-tube....unlucky, should have used a different site where it wasn't downloadable.
By the way, anyone who has watched it and hasn't cleared the cache, still has in on their computer as an flv file.

Max Shutterspeed
12th Oct 2007, 10:54
Sorry to drift off topic a bit, but how do you download from YouTube? I thought it was streaming video only.

MS

Ioan
12th Oct 2007, 11:01
youtube is a streaming flv file so downloadable like anything else. Google 'download youtube' or something to that effect and you'll find a few methods. I used to use http://www.youtubex.com/ ; there're a few other websites that will do it for you too. Now I use a free program called Orbit which embedds in IE, captures most media, downloads it and converts it to a few different formats

Ioan
12th Oct 2007, 11:03
Oh and by the way I had a problem emailing the clip this morning since Hotmail, Gmail and another business account I use all limit file sizes to 10MB. Therefore I've uploaded it onto a borrowed website temporarily so Gary (VeeAny) can download it and host. Many thanks to him for doing that :)

Napalm1983
12th Oct 2007, 12:56
Is this what y'all were watching?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXNCZlQcvGw

TheMonk
12th Oct 2007, 13:12
I'm looking forward to seeing this footage.

Monk

slim40
12th Oct 2007, 13:37
Is it the BO-105 throught the forest?

If so, it's on www.griffin-helicopters.co.uk (http://www.griffin-helicopters.co.uk) along with others, under videos. Some amazing flying!
I wouldn't exactly call it reckless either, the flight and camera work has obviously been well planned in advance. Of course, a different story in the event of a 'failure'.

Si

Bravo73
12th Oct 2007, 13:51
Is it the BO-105 throught the forest?

Nope. It's a new pretender to the crown... :}

I'm sure that the new vid will be appearing on griffin-helicopters within the next few days.

VeeAny
12th Oct 2007, 15:19
Now Done See Below

Ioan you can take it off where you had it, if you need to.

If the people who own the copyright (if any) get in touch then I suppose in the interests of fairness it would be appropriate for me to remove it. But until such time. Might be an idea to remove the reg from that earlier post in case its bothering anyone connected to it. Having watched it I doesn't look like hes being particularly brutal with it, quite the opposite in fact. But what can you really tell from a video.
GS

Bravo73
12th Oct 2007, 15:57
Might be an idea to remove the reg from that earlier post in case its bothering anyone connected to it.

It went this morning.

Hedski
12th Oct 2007, 16:10
I agree with V's sentiment about the registration of the heli in question. Might I also suggest an appropriate change to the thread title as it draws the wrong kind of attention and therefore increases the likelihood of the owner/operator/pilot in question requesting the video's removal from any other website its posted on, such as VeeAny's.
I respect the opinion of the original poster and acknowledge their right to express it here but my suggestion is merely an effort to tone things down so we can continue to download and enjoy what is in my humble opinion a wonderful display of handling skill.
H
:}

VeeAny
12th Oct 2007, 16:36
It can be seen here, however as with all things rushed it doesn't seem to be playing automatically so for the moment select the download link underneath the video player on the page. I am working on a fix to make it work out of the box, will post back soon.

A119 Aerobatics in the Alps (http://www.griffin-helicopters.co.uk/videos/playonevideo.asp?videokey=1653)

Gary

Brilliant Stuff
12th Oct 2007, 17:25
Thank you.:ok:

3top
12th Oct 2007, 18:11
Hi VNe,

thanx for the hosting.
DOwnloaded it, but it would not play...
Any chance to convert to mpeg or something else to try?

3top

Bravo73
12th Oct 2007, 18:24
I also got the same problem as 3top.

None of my video players seem to recognise the format.

:confused:

nrh
12th Oct 2007, 18:29
Me too.

Tried Real Player, Fully updated Windows Media Player, Quicktime.

Watched the video at work yesterday and had to have another peep :)

cptjim
12th Oct 2007, 18:50
For future reference, if anyone wishes to download videos from Youtube, also try http://vixy.net/

(Splot, I hope it is ok to link to this, if not, I will remove it)

Best regards,

Jim :ok:

VeeAny
12th Oct 2007, 19:17
Sorry gents, whilst I had a problem with the embedded version the download works fine for me.

Seems to be related to some extra headers embedded by You Tube , just working on removing them. Don't know why it works fine for me, I must have some extra software I've forgotten about.

Solved the file itself is an .flv and not an .avi as it was named when I got it. I should really have spotted this so sorry, more haste less speed perhaps.

If you've already downloaded it rename it to .flv and make sure you get rid of the .avi extension. Will save you downloading it again.

Should work fine now if it doesn't you may need to download an .flv player,a quick search on google will turn up a few.

You will need adobe flash player installed in your browser, if you don't have it the embedded (viewable on a page) version will not play. It should offer to download for you if you need it.

GS

paddyboy
12th Oct 2007, 19:21
This (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/) baby will play the files and almost anything else you want.
And it's clean as a whistle.

Bravo73
12th Oct 2007, 19:39
Thanks, paddyboy. Videolan got it working. :D

VeeAny
12th Oct 2007, 19:51
Just downloaded Videolan, seems like a good toy.

One problem it seems to distort the sound and colors on my machine. Whereas
the FLVPlayer (http://www.martijndevisser.com/blog/flv-player/) doesn't.

I hope this was all worth it, in the end.

G.

MightyGem
12th Oct 2007, 20:14
Thanks for that VeeAny, great video. Irresponsible? Why? Perfect conditions, over familiar terrain. A little bit lower in places than I would have flown though.

3top
12th Oct 2007, 21:46
Alright now!! :):):)

Playing!!

Thanx for the 2 links for the players!
Both work as advertised!

Does anyone have/know of a similar vid with an 350 (A-Star) or any other EC product?

singesavant
13th Oct 2007, 00:06
I couldn't affirm that but it seems familiar to me, I had been helisking with customers as mountain guide few years ago in Val grisenche Italia and the valley looks very similar and anymore I woul say that's I'm not very sure with it but a mountain peak is looking like the Monte Bianco or Mont Blanc Italian side...

and as far as remenber we had flown a 350 B3 and a A109 Koala, so why not!

but now I realize how far I'm from that's skills, that's for sure at least.

CGWRA
13th Oct 2007, 03:22
Why would you want to spoil scenery like that with a eurocopter machine???

Love that koala, wicked video

3top
13th Oct 2007, 14:54
Hey come on CG,

I will not start a brand discussion after that great clip.
When I got my B3 checkout I was demonstrated some pretty neat stuff (factory...).
Probably will not look as good in a clip as a Koala, because the A119 is probably the sexiest machine in this class, but there is at least one "Tour ride" clip with a 350 somewhere in Africa, but of course can't do that kind of flying with pax on board.
I know that the OZ Navy did airshows with Ecureuil, incl. rolls and loops, but never got to see it.

I am sure a B3 can do about the same as the Koala, no sweat.

But I would like to see it.....

407? Well, we got this sweet video form the airshow in SA few years ago... :)

heliwhore
14th Oct 2007, 01:22
heliwhore,

I have deleted your post as both off topic, and personally abusive to another Rotorhead.

First and last warning :=

Senior Pilot
Rotorheads Moderator

AGL
14th Oct 2007, 07:34

mickjoebill
14th Oct 2007, 17:42
Any ideas on number of +- Gs pulled during the performance?

Mickjoebill

international hog driver
14th Oct 2007, 18:45
I'd like to thank Marco & Max for putting it together, one of the best displays I have seen recorded. :ok:

These guys both flying and filming know their stuff. ;)

And for those poor UK guys.... he was at all times above 500ft......(amsl):}

Diatryma
15th Oct 2007, 05:33
Check this video out. I can only define this as irresponsible and reckless

Nice flying.

If this is the pilot's own machine, and he/she is on their own up there - or if they have passengers then they and their family and friends have all consented to them being a passenger during such manouvers, and if there is no-one on the ground who has a problem with it and if the family or friends of anyone on the ground in the vacinity who may be killed or injured don't have a problem with it, and if there are no finance companies or insurance companies who might have to pay our large sums of cash to compensate the various parties who might be financially effected should the aircraft crash - or if there are if they don't have a problem with it, and as long as no other pilots or potential pilots who don't have the skills this pilot so obviously has don't see this video and think it's a great idea and try it themselves resulting in disaster - then I can't see any issues with this type of behaviour!

:p

Di

3top
15th Oct 2007, 14:56
In a perfect world, there would be no....., well whatever!!
Okay, it is a Helo forum, but how many of those who challenge the "act" ride motorcycles?
How many of you stick to speedlimits?
(Hell, most bikes sold, are worthless BELOW any speedlimit!)

If you start to discuss legalities, the world is a vey boring place.
A lot of laws (especially regarding aviation) today, are not really about safety, but liability.
In my corner of the world, the last couple of accidents where strictly pilot error or negligence.
Local AAC tries to eliminate accidents by "law/rule".
Unfortunately lawmakers are seldom aviators anymore today.
Otherwise they would realise that you cannot rule out accidents.
Only good training and strict recurrencies will keep the standard up.
Some "comon sense training" may also help.....

I don't know JAR (yet, just about to start studying....), but in the rest of the world there does not seem to be any altitude restriction for helos, if over non-populated area and not putting any third party or property in danger.

Well that pole, ..might have been endagered. Then on a clip everything seems tighter than it is. From the clip I could not detect any danger to third parties.

There are sure some g's on those pull outs, but I don't see anything rough in the clip. For those in the know, this is not news, for the rest:
The "fall offs", "bank overs", "ag-turns", "recoveries" seem all very well executed, speak: low g's or no g's. The sequence ressembles most likely what you get demonstrated by any factory check pilot when you get a transition/type rating and happen to have some hours.
Don't forget that these guys also sell the product and want to make sure, that you know theirs is the best.

I did not see anything that would lead to disaster if slightly off, all is recoverable smoothly, no rolls, no loops, no extreme disc atitudes (relative to the body).

Some hard bank turning, but all helos are supposed to be able to maintain a steep turn. Mostly it is about available power ....
Observe, there is no jerking around, just smooth, gentle operation.

At least my oberservation with helos:

The awesome looking stuff is mostly easy (...well, for those who know) to do.
The really hard stuff, doesn't look it. For someone to appreciate the "hard stuff" you must be one of the cirlce to understand and appreciate.....

So, recap: The man was not visibly endagering any 3rd parties and 500' amsl (as mentioned.....:)) should do...

Rant over...

PS: ....hey, just turn up the volume and enjoy it!!

bigsquirrel
15th Oct 2007, 23:07
Hey guys, try this link it is now titled ALPS HELO, enjoy http://youtube.com/watch?v=BsA6WKlj7go.

Regards

Bigsquirrel

wobble2plank
16th Oct 2007, 09:38
Fabulous Video!

I was lucky enough, many years ago, to take a Lynx through the valleys, mountains and glaciers of South Georgia on a similar sunny day with me and my mate to use as a playground.

Such days are sadly few and far between but do rekindle the love of pure seat of the pants helicopter flying.

Shouldn't of watched it really as it has made me wonder why I bother bussing people about in aluminium tubes these days :{

To all, enjoy the flying, every good day is a blessing.

W2P

Aser
16th Oct 2007, 10:34
Winner of 2007 best video :D

chcoffshore
16th Oct 2007, 11:29
Great vid!

Maybe a tadge more pedal on a few of the wingovers haha:E

I miss some of the good times at HM expense, memory's.

Ah well back to work, its a beautiful day:ok:

Rotorbee
16th Oct 2007, 18:07
Has somebody watched the stills? Was that a loop in the end?

And in the still of that "low" pass you can see the top of the skids. That was very low and there was a camera man because the camera moves all the time...
That guy must have a lot of convidence in the pilot.
Brings back some memories... sniff

That Koala is just amazing. I want one.

r44raven
17th Oct 2007, 13:38
Absolutely fantastic flying and scenery - many years ago, when I was happy to just fly FW (and for some reason seemed to have more money) my wife and I took a pleasure flight in a Twin Squirrel in Flaine. Started with a very quick lift (backwards) to 50 ft followed by a swift pedal turn then up the valley and into the mountains. After a fantastic sight seeing trip, we arrived back at the pad at alarming speed and height followed by a Vietnam style flare and descent to the pad - I guess they must just get bored up there :ok:

chcoffshore
17th Oct 2007, 13:48
R44raven,

Just sounds like a standard HLS dep and arr!:)

Bernouli's what?
18th Oct 2007, 14:40
Awesome! Damn this teetering head! And lack of mountains. And snow! :ok:

Firefly01
18th Oct 2007, 21:22
Great video, good tunes and a pilot who knows what he's doing. Have any of you guys got your own home mades with soundtrack of choice to share with us all?

Moments like these that make you remember why you first fell in love with the bloody things!! Look forward to seeing any new ones (if poss, try to include a narrative or description of the story behind the vid).

Thanks,

FF01

ekardj
22nd Oct 2007, 21:08
Great video. But Mike Horrell from Conington Peterborough can make an R22 do similar fantastic moves when he is reseeding heather in the Derbyshire peaks and the Scottish Highlands. He also runs a spraying course in Derbyshire peaks each year which many of his former PPL H pupils have attended to improve flying skills. As close as it gets to emulating the guys in the alps.

John

patatas
23rd Oct 2007, 15:35
Great Video... very inspirational for people who love their flight! That's one of the main reason why ROTORHEADS is the best Forum of all... here is where we can find the best... thanks again!

VeeAny
30th Oct 2007, 19:22
I think that this is one of the best helicopter videos around, however as I said in my earlier post I'll remove it if someone connected to it asks me to, well unfortunately they have and I have :{.

If they change there mind it will re-appear back where I had it originally, until then it'll stay hidden away.

I think this is the right thing to do and I hope enough of you got to see it and save it while it was there.

If anyone wants to know where else it can be found PM me.

GS

Hedski
31st Oct 2007, 16:22
It's still on Youtube.....:E

Bravo73
31st Oct 2007, 16:31
It's never going to leave YouTube. So many people have now downloaded it that every time it's removed, someone else will 'step into the breach' and re-post it. :E

VeeAny
31st Oct 2007, 18:29
It will always be on you tube where it was posted originally, under various guises, but purely out of professional courtesy I thought it was the right thing to do, seeing as how he asked.

Its the first time I've ever had such a request.

GS

Hedski
31st Oct 2007, 18:40
You'd have plenty of those type of requests if you started to post videos of yourself on the site..........!!!!!!!!!!!!!:p:p:p:p

Farrell
4th Dec 2007, 06:17
Great video!
Big grin on my face!
Nothing dangerous. Competent pilot who knows the terrain and his machine.
If you're reading this.....I'd pay to see that again from the spare seat!

One question after watching the video a few times....

Between time markers 4:43 and 4:45, during the low level run, there is a jolt.
Did he touch the snow cap momentarily?