PDA

View Full Version : ultimate fighter

Vulcan607
10th Oct 2007, 23:35
Hi,

I watched a programme on discovery about greatest fighters over the years from P51 to F15 etc.

I wondered, how would the Eurofighter Typhoon fair up with the F22 Raptor if both were to ever come up against each other?

what is the ultimate fighter jet in the views of the military aircrew who use this forum?

Laird 'o' Balmullo
10th Oct 2007, 23:39
Tornado F3 obviously!

L J R
11th Oct 2007, 06:00
Only REAL fighters need apply (those wot have shot someone down surely)

Pontius Navigator
11th Oct 2007, 06:21
The problem about the Discovery channel is they are all repeats.

Next thing we know Prune is all repeats too:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=248235&highlight=greatest+fighter

XV277
11th Oct 2007, 12:16
I thought this would be about mixed martial arts.....;)

South Bound
11th Oct 2007, 12:41
XV277,me too, was gonna say no contest, Bruce Lee!

Safety_Helmut
11th Oct 2007, 14:01
I think that Typhoon would have done quite well.......................in its day !

S_H :ok:

BluntM8
11th Oct 2007, 14:49
Vulcan607,

It's highly unlikely that anyone will post any specific performance data for either aircraft on an open website, for reasons which ought to be obvious. However, I will say that the answer to your question is...it depends!

You really need to consider a range of scenarios - such as a 1v1 turning fight, right across the spectrum to a 4v4 (or more!) in the BVR environment. In all these cases, each aircraft will have specific strengths and weaknesses.

Furthermore, even if you were to get into details like instantaneous and sustained turn rates and all that malarky, these are all dependent on who sees who first, who flies his aircraft better, and who's ROE permit them to take the longest range shot. The human element is probably the deciding factor!

To create an analogy, consider which is the better fighter of, say, the F4 Phantom and the EE Lightning? There are a lot of variables beyond simple parametrics to consider.

Sorry to not give you a straight answer to the question, but hopefully I've provided some food for thought.

Blunty

Doors Off
12th Oct 2007, 06:39
The Ultimate Fighter? Without a doubt My Granny! After half a bottle of whisky when you were caught trying to pinch a cigarette from her hand bag, there was no doubt as to is/was the ultimate fighter. No one would come close to her! :ouch: